40% Higher Tax Bracket. Will this affect me?

Comments

• isasmurf
    isasmurf Posts: 1,999 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Is that right, £37,295? not to doubt you, but I am taxed at the higher rate and earn about £2,000 less than that. Basically, Im wondering if I should contact my tax department to see why they are overtaxing me.
    Easiest way to find out if you should be paying 40% tax, is to take your tax code, remove the letter and stick a 5 on the end, e.g. if your tax code is 324T then remove the T and put 5 on the end to make 3245. This is your personal allowance, the amount you earn before paying tax.

Add 31,400 (for pay up to 5th April 05) or 32,400 (for pay from 6th April 05) to your personal allowance. Is your salary higher than this? If it is then you are a higher rate taxpayer.
  • Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Very well put, isasmurf :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • lush_walrus
    lush_walrus Posts: 1,975 Forumite
    Wow thanks guys, I have to look into this as Im not entirely sure what I earn only that my accountant informed me I was paying 40% tax and so should look into having a pay cut and having my travel paid this year which is £3,000. Im not very good at keeping abreast of these things! Originally when I started my job, I was still self employed, then I decided to work full time for my employer who offered me a salery of £24,000 before tax ie they paid all tax and national insurance contributions and I received £2,000 a month, which my mortgage advisor worked out as me earning approx £30,000-£32,000 including deductions. I dont pay into any pensions or health schemes only pay tax and NI.

I had a pay rise of £2,000 (again with them paying the tax for me on top of that) and then Im just about to get £3,000 (excluding tax paid on top by them).

Aaaaarg I dont know its all too confusing for me, all I know is that I had to pay 40% tax on everything outside of work.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    isasmurf wrote:
    Easiest way to find out if you should be paying 40% tax, is to take your tax code, remove the letter and stick a 5 on the end, e.g. if your tax code is 324T then remove the T and put 5 on the end to make 3245. This is your personal allowance, the amount you earn before paying tax.

Add 31,400 (for pay up to 5th April 05) or 32,400 (for pay from 6th April 05) to your personal allowance. Is your salary higher than this? If it is then you are a higher rate taxpayer.
    Does this work on a negative tax code also? Husband has a K tax code.
  • donsaini
    donsaini Posts: 69 Forumite
    Rafter wrote:
    No point in asking for a pay cut!

Income tax is not like stamp duty - you don't suddenly pay 40% on all your income, just the bit above the earnings threshold.

So £300 is still worth £180 after 40% tax.

R.

I Only wrote about the £300 paycut earlier, because at the time i mistakenly thought that poster might have been just over the 40% tax level. forgot personal allowance you see.

the reason for the pay cut was if poster had a significant amount of savings that would be taxed at 40%, ie double the tax they are paying at the moment

also dont forget to factor in gordon brown's 1% stealth tax...NIC. would make itt £177

:beer:
  • mrcow
    mrcow Posts: 15,170 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    donsaini wrote:
    the reason for the pay cut was if poster had a significant amount of savings that would be taxed at 40%, ie double the tax they are paying at the moment

They'll still only pay 40% on whatever is above the threshold, no matter if it comes from employment earnings or interest earnings.

A pay cut would just be reducing the amount of money coming in (regardless of what rate it's taxed at).
    "One day I realised that when you are lying in your grave, it's no good saying, "I was too shy, too frightened."
    Because by then you've blown your chances. That's it."
  • Plasticman
    Plasticman Posts: 2,504 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    donsaini wrote:
    also dont forget to factor in gordon brown's 1% stealth tax...NIC. would make itt £177

I thought that the upper earnings limit for NI was below the limit for 40% tax?
    If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered." -Thomas Jefferson 1802
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Spendless unfortunately with a K code you have to add the figure to your income as your husbands deductions are more than his personal tax free allowance and this gives a negative figure. I assume he has either a large underpayment being collected or receives untaxed interest or benefits in kind like a company car or medical insurance etc.

K580 means £5700 is added to your income to give a higher income figure ie if your husband earns £34000 and his code is £580 then he is taxed as if he has earned £34000 + £5700 = £39700.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,148 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    yes his negative code is caused by benefits in kind, company car, petrol, and BUPA.

The code is K282 so what should i add on to his salary? Is it £2820?
  • RenStar
    RenStar Posts: 217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Try this online calculator to check how much tax you should be paying and also what your tax code should be: http://www.taxcentral.co.uk/taxcentral/home/reference/calculators/default.asp
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure