Cost of stud wall?

Want to turn one big bedroom into two so need a partition wall and two doors.
I'm definitely not up to doing this myself skills wise! :eek:

Does anybody have the remotest clue what a builder/carpenter might/should charge?
Grateful for any advice. Thanks.
Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.

Comments

• nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    £800 ish....
  • pickledtink
    pickledtink Posts: 593 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    nelly wrote: »
    £800 ish....

Should have said 'In the overpriced up itself South East' but thanks nelly. I'll use your figure as a negotiating tool:
    'They can do it in Manchester for £800.00. Why can't you?'

Snigger snigger 'Get someone from "Manchester" then. Hur hur'

'I will, or possibly Poland. Property boom is over mate. Put that Jaffa Cake down and !!!!!! off.'
    Living on Earth can be expensive, but it does include an annual free trip around the Sun.
  • ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    What length of wall? Plasterboarded both sides and plastered? or just dry lined? What sort of doors? Architrave and skirting both sides in 3". I'd need a hell of a lot more info then that to give a price. Just to build the studwall should only take 2 hours, but everything else is very wide guesswork, But at an educated guess Id say less then £500 easily.

Woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
  • jason_s_2
    jason_s_2 Posts: 395 Forumite
    I'd agree with nelly.
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    jason_s wrote: »
    I'd agree with nelly.

me too :).......

jason pm me your webby mate
  • pickledtink
    ukwoody wrote: »
    What length of wall? Plasterboarded both sides and plastered? or just dry lined? What sort of doors? Architrave and skirting both sides in 3". I'd need a hell of a lot more info then that to give a price. Just to build the studwall should only take 2 hours, but everything else is very wide guesswork, But at an educated guess Id say less then £500 easily.

Woody

Thinking about it probably more like an inner hallway bit rather than a wall the whole length then one room gets the benefit of the full width. I don't know the difference between plastering and dry lining but probably whichever is sturdiest. Architrave and skirting internal rooms only.
    Initial room is 14'.8" x 14' with two windows (one a larger bay) along longer wall. I wanted a bedroom and one small single/box/study size out of it
    does that make any sense?
  • ukwoody
    Unless the wall is being plastered afterwards I totally fail to see how a smallish stud wall drylined can possibly equate to £800+
    1 days labour for one man. £200 max
    Materials £250 tops.

We've just built a complete spray booth for a factory that was 5M x 3.8Mts x 2.4Mtrs high and that was only £700 all in. Done in a day by two of us.

Woody
  • pickledtink
    Unless the wall is being plastered afterwards I totally fail to see how a smallish stud wall drylined can possibly equate to £800+
    1 days labour for one man. £200 max
    Materials £250 tops.

We've just built a complete spray booth for a factory that was 5M x 3.8Mts x 2.4Mtrs high and that was only £700 all in. Done in a day by two of us.

Woody

Good. That's sorted then. You're hired! :T
  • ukwoody
    Unfortunetly, you're in the south east, (and I'm in wales) so after travelling, the hotel, and the obligatory trip to the local pubs it'll be £800+ :beer: :D

Woody
  • pickledtink
    Unfortunetly, you're in the south east, (and I'm in wales) so after travelling, the hotel, and the obligatory trip to the local pubs it'll be £800+ :beer: :D

Woody

Hotel!! There is a perfectly nice shed and excellent crab apple home brew guaranteed to warm the heart etc.
    Nice little holiday by the sea. How could you resist?;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure