natwest fraud calls but daughter in Asia solo without phone

Hi, My daughter is travelling solo in Asia and natwest have put a block on her card and keeps ringing our house with automated fraud prevention calls.

Have been in contact with daughter by email and she is in possession of the card, had used it once to withdraw money and it has not been stolen. I phoned natwest and they will only take the block off is she responds to their automated calls, or phones them from asia. She has no phone. I'm a bit frantic that she has no access to further cash, especially should an emergency arise.

Natwest will not accept an email confirmation from her that she has been using the card abroad. What to do?

cheers

Comments

• same problm i had last year when i went on a cruise... my card was block due to failing to tell them i was going abroad... so had to go an evening till morning without able to buy on ship and till i rang them... which i did from middle of alantic using the cruise fone.. they lift the block off after i confirm my password and got a telling off....

she need to ring them if she cant she screwed... did she tell em she was going aborad...
  • Hi and thanks, Natwest told us they didn't need to be told that she was travelling abroad. As a parent I have a duty of care to keep my daughter safe, but Natwest is scuppering my efforts. It can't be right. Surely they can find a flexible workaround?
  • stclair
    stclair Posts: 6,844
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 16 January 2012 at 1:39PM
    She will have no choice but to call them I'm sorry to say. Plus I would recommend she travels with a phone whilst travelling aboard in future. As I wouldn't call letting your daughter travel aboard without a phone responsible.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
  • Thanks st clair. Her phone is not set up to use abroad. Besides which, as a student she can't afford phone charges involved to have the likes of natwest phoning her on the other side of the world. Most people these days are happy to make use of the internet as a means of communication. She does internet banking which is supposed to be secure, so why can't she let them know that way? Its not rocket science!
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 16 January 2012 at 8:29PM
    mabinogion wrote: »

Natwest will not accept an email confirmation from her that she has been using the card abroad. What to do?

cheers

She need to find a phone and call them. If Natwest were to accept just an email how can they verify the sender's identity.

As a parent you have no involvement in the account. All you can do is send her money via Western Union to enable her to make the call.
  • stclair wrote: »
    I wouldn't call letting your daughter travel aboard without a phone responsible.

I appreciate your parenting advice stclair, but since I skype, Instant message, facebook and email my daughter on a daily basis, and know pretty much exactly where she is at any given time, I shall take it with a pinch of salt.
  • pmduk wrote: »
    . If Natwest were to accept just an email how can they very the senders identity

They could easily follow up with security questions or getting her to log on to her internet banking account as confirmation. As i said, not rocket science.
  • jalexa
    jalexa Posts: 3,448 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2012 at 1:59PM
    Her phone is not set up to use abroad.

There is more than one issue here, of which that is one, except you have cited that as an "excuse" when in fact it is the causal problem. Clearly a short term solution is required, the technical measure to solve the immediate problem is clear if not the cost. As a "trap" though they may well agree, ask for a Natwest number which will accept transfer charges.

You have made Natwest aware that their conduct puts at risk a lone female travelling abroad. When the dust has settled suggest your daughter raises a formal complaint with Natwest with a view to finding out if the Financial Ombudsman Service has a precedent for the *exact* circumstances. A central circumstance is that the held (and normal) telephone number is valid and (apparently) there was no need to advise travel (or to register a mobile number).

I agree that email would not be sensible but I am open to other solutions though I would be wary about internet cafe access to online banking.
  • dggar
    dggar Posts: 670
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    They could easily follow up with security questions or getting her to log on to her internet banking account as confirmation. As i said, not rocket science.

Send answers to security questions via email????????
  • dggar wrote: »
    Send answers to security questions via email????????

Hi there and thanks. There are questions that can be asked as security that would not in any way compromise her account. But perhaps more realistic would be a communication via her secure internet banking account wiht natwest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure