Vauxhall dealer £60+ for a new car key!!

cordial
cordial Posts: 542 Forumite
Because Vauxhall keys have an engine immobiliser chip in the black plastic section, the dealerships seem to be on to a nice little earner if you want a replacement key cut.

My local dealer has just quoted me over £60 for a combination of 'sending away for the codes' (because I bought it second hand and haven't got them) and the actual cutting.

I find this outrageous.

Does anyone know a way round it?

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    When I bought my Astra, the salesman said to me "it's really expensive to replace the key, so don't lose it. So I haven't.

Yeah, it's a lot of money, but I don't think it's any great secret that it's how much they cost...
  • ckerrd
    ckerrd Posts: 2,641 Forumite
    happened when we lost one key for our Scenic - £60 sounds about right.
    You tend not to lose them again
    We all evolve - get on with it
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    £60 sound reasonable, cost me £80 for my Honda 2 years ago.
  • Hermione54
    Hermione54 Posts: 176 Forumite
    £60 is in fact low, especially as you don't have the codes. The highest I heard of was £175. Makes you careful about looking after the keys!
  • vansboy
    vansboy Posts: 6,483 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Good job you've not got a Fiat then!!

Around 10times that amount to sort a problem there!!

VB
  • nullogik
    nullogik Posts: 467 Forumite
    In fact What Car? Magazine did a recent article on this. Taking some random cars they found replacement keys cost around £60-£175.
    Lack of money is the root of all evil.
    George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
  • cordial
    cordial Posts: 542 Forumite
    Well, I confess I'm amazed at all the complacent comments.

I find £60 for a key totally disproportionate - if it DID actually prevent car theft outright that would be something but we all know that most crooks have their ways of getting round it.

This would only have been for the convenience and security of having a 'spare'. In the circumstances I shall be foregoing the privilege and I can easily imagine how many regard this as having to pay a ransom, in effect, if they ever DO lose their key.
  • nej
    nej Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    I was quoted about £35 to replace the battery in a keyfob by VW. I did it myself by buying the battery elsewhere (under £1), and it took all of 20 seconds to do the job.

So £60 doesn't sound too bad! Especially when dealers charge about £100 per hour for labour these days.
  • nej
    nej Posts: 1,526 Forumite
    As another point, try a key-cutting place. My dry-cleaner can program keys for cars, might be worth a shop around.
  • natanddan1
    natanddan1 Posts: 484 Forumite
    I had a damaged bmw key that i got a replacement for from an internet company for around £30 delivered. I cannot remember the name but will let you know if i come across it. Alternatively, try a search from google.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure