What is JSA under the hardship provision?

Comments

• geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    NickyBat wrote: »
    I notice that generally the replies are to have a go at the jobcentre, what you all seem to forget is that these rules come from above ie the government, they are not made by jc staff - they just have to follow them, and whilst getting in touch with your local MP is a great idea maybe you need to be asking them why they voted these rules through in the first place.

I'm not knocking the people in the JC, I'm just annoyed that I wasn't told to keep a note of jobs I didn't apply for, and the reason why.

I'm sure when I first signed on this wasn't necessary, it's only recently the government said it was going to crack down on people who refuse work. I guess the way they are doing it is by saying "If you showed an interest in a job, you MUST apply for it"

But I've "shown an interest" in a few jobs then found they weren't suitable for some reason so didn't apply for them. I didn't keep a note of why not, and if I get asked I may not be able to remember the reason why I didn't apply for them.
  • jay_1978
    jay_1978 Posts: 196 Forumite
    @ geordie joe ... Just out of interest mate what has happened since u got the letter ? Has your money been sanctioned or you waiting ? I think it should be illegal that just because you can't prove the jobcentre wrong that your gonna be hit hard, What happened to innocent until proven guilty ?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    jay_1978 wrote: »
    @ geordie joe ... Just out of interest mate what has happened since u got the letter ? Has your money been sanctioned or you waiting ? I think it should be illegal that just because you can't prove the jobcentre wrong that your gonna be hit hard, What happened to innocent until proven guilty ?

The JCP DM will make a decision based on the balance of probabilities, they will make this decision once the claimant has submitted their reasons for not applying.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • jay_1978
    dmg24 wrote: »
    The JCP DM will make a decision based on the balance of probabilities, they will make this decision once the claimant has submitted their reasons for not applying.

So your only means of income can be taken just by a probability? I can see them tossing a coin and deciding shall we ruin this persons life or not lol... I know I rant on about this but it annoys me that someone who puts into the system can really have the only income they have taken from them when we have migrants who actually pay nothing in yet take out, Surely unless the jobcentre can 100% prove you have not gone for that job then they have no proof?
  • Hi

What does worry me is that I really want a job, and I get the guy to print out any job description that looks remotely suitable. But more than half of them get binned without being applied for because when I get home a I find a reason for them not being suitable.

If you ask them to print it out for you then you don't have to apply*. It's when they tell you or give you a job to apply for that you must or risk losing JSA.

* I specifically asked this when I was signing on earlier this year and was told that if I saw a job I fancied on the screen during my signing on I could get a print out and choose whether to apply for it. Sometimes getting a printout is the only way to see all of the job details IME.

It's only a game
    ~*~*~ We're only here to dream ~*~*~
  • geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    jay_1978 wrote: »

Nothing has happened yet, there is a space on the back of the letter for me to provide the reason why I didn't apply for the job. It has to be returned within 7 days of the date on the letter (next Wed) if I want them to consider the reason when they decide what to do. The JC doesn't open until Tuesday so I will drop it in then. I live 2 mins from the JC, but sign on on Tue morning anyway, so I'll take it with me then.

I sign on with the same man every time, and he's a good bloke, we get on well and I've told him which jobs I have not applied for, and why. So he's knows there was a good reason for not applying for the jobs.

I have also re-read the letter and it actually says that the reason they think I refused the job offer opportunity is because there is no reason recorded on their computer system.

So I'm thinking maybe when I have told him I didn't apply for the job he has ticked some box to say I didn't apply for it and not entered the reason.

With a bit of luck, when I show him the letter, he will say "That's my fault, I told the system you didn't apply for it and forgot to say why, I'll sort it for you".
  • geordie_joe
    Combo Breaker First Post
    If you ask them to print it out for you then you don't have to apply*. It's when they tell you or give you a job to apply for that you must or risk losing JSA.

* I specifically asked this when I was signing on earlier this year and was told that if I saw a job I fancied on the screen during my signing on I could get a print out and choose whether to apply for it. Sometimes getting a printout is the only way to see all of the job details IME.

Thanks for that, when I first signed on they showed me a list of vacancies on the screen and said that if I saw any I fancied just tell them and they would print the full details for me. They told me to keep a record of any I actually applied for as I had to do 3 things to look for work each fortnight.

They also said not to worry if there wasn't 3 jobs to apply for as looking at the job section in the paper, or asking friends would count as doing something to look for work.

As I said earlier, I think that was the rules at the time, but the new government has decided to "go after" people who refuse work, and this is one of the ways they are doing it. Catch as many people out as they can so they will have a good number to publish later.

It would make a good headline for them

"We have punished a million people for refusing a work offer"

They'd love that, every time someone mentions the unemployed they could say "it's not the governments fault, there are jobs available, and to prove it we've caught a million people refusing a job offer."

Unemployment then ceases to be the governments problem , if your unemployed it's because you are refusing job offers.
  • jay_1978
    Yea I think they are just doing a short burst of random picking people and checking, Personally I think if you just accept it then they have what they want but I have heard of loads of people winning the appeal, Its a case of fight back and watch them back down
  • Hammyman
    Hammyman Posts: 9,913 Forumite
    There's always one!

what would you know, you don't live in dorset. I can tell you now, down here the buses in rural dorset are far worse than they are in rural parts of the NE. I know, I come from the NE.
    Yes...Tyneside or similar judging by the user name. I'm in East Yorkshire. Some of the larger towns in Tyneside have a larger population than our entire county.
    .[/QUOTE]
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Always always keep a record of all jobs applied for.

Always ask for any job that the "worlds most UNreasonable person" would have expected you to apply for - even if you know you won't get it/it wouldnt be reasonable to expect you to try and do it if you did get it (eg not skilled enough for it/too far away/etc)

MANY years ago - when I was unemployed - I followed the above 2 rules and was glad I had - ie the time I was asked to provide proof that I really WAS asking for work and they took one look at the huge thick file I promptly produced and that was the end of that conversation:rotfl::rotfl:

In this day and age - in a similar position - I would add a 3rd thing to that. I would also keep a specific A5 (or maybe even A4) size diary JUST for the purposes of keeping a record of my attempts to find work. Each workday I would write in there eg:

- rang Miss X at firm y at 10.40am re the job vacancy to do z. She said "..................."

- applied for job Z that was in "such and such local paper" at firm Y (by sending in my c.v.)

and so on...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport