Ford Mondeo Enigine Management Lights ALL On HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doodles22
Doodles22 Posts: 125 Forumite
edited 21 July 2009 at 7:35PM in Motoring
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I am really in need of some urgent advice and am calling on all you faithful MSE members.
I went to work this morning as normal no problem, I parked up and then went out for lunch and when I got in I noticed after starting the car ALL the engine management lights are on:eek::eek:
I have the ABS light, Traction light on and handbrake light stays on even when the handbrake is disengaged:eek::eek:

I hoped they'd go off, but after going home again they have said on and don't appear to be willing to go off, so I tried one thing thinking maybe the handbrake was jammed on sightly and took the car for a drive along road that no one is about in and took the car upto 60 miles an hour and suddenly jammed the brakes on, the car did skid sightly and the ABS appears now to be failing.

Before doing this check I felt all brake drums and there red hot and so is the brake unit under the boonet :(
This sounds to me like a complete brake failure on the whole system, right after I've spent £1000's on it and £700 to get it through an MOT last week :(

I have no ideal what else to do now, the car drives but the brakes are all funny now and I wouldn't risk going on the motorway with it now :(

I have it booked in to be placed on to faults computer Thursday at my local garage.

However anyone have any ideals?
By the way, I tried the resetting the ECU myself and the lights just come back on.
Also the brake drums are red hot from only driving arouund 4 miles and is it normal for the braking unit under the bonnet to be RED HOT and unable to keep your hand on it.

All advice welcome

Comments

• harveybobbles
    harveybobbles Posts: 8,973 Forumite
    My first bit of advice is thus:

Quit with the smilies !!!!!!...!
  • DMDz
    DMDz Posts: 81 Forumite
    Mondeo nut here so hopefully Ill be able to help:

Which check lights are on exactly?

Do you have any leaks/fluid where teh car is usually parked? Do you still have plenty of break fluid in the reseviour (white bottle, location depending on which engine you have, usually to the top right hand side of the engine next to the black drum/break)?

Also, is yours a 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 Zetec engine or 2.5v6 Duratec engine?

Which year or Mark is your mondeo?

Whatever the problem is, if its a older mondeo (Mk1 or MK2) then I'm sure its a cheap fix!
  • Doodles22
    DMDz wrote: »
    Mondeo nut here so hopefully Ill be able to help:

Which check lights are on exactly?

Do you have any leaks/fluid where teh car is usually parked? Do you still have plenty of break fluid in the reseviour (white bottle, location depending on which engine you have, usually to the top right hand side of the engine next to the black drum/break)?

Also, is yours a 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 Zetec engine or 2.5v6 Duratec engine?

Which year or Mark is your mondeo?

Whatever the problem is, if its a older mondeo (Mk1 or MK2) then I'm sure its a cheap fix!

Hi
    thank's for your kind reply mate!
    I have the handbrake light on, even when the handbrake is down(released) ABS light on and Traction control light on.
    The fluids are all fine, upto MAX.
    No leaks from what I can see, has just come on suddenly today.

It is a 2000 plate 2.5 V6 DuraTec engine.
    The reseviour was red hot when I felt it earlier, is that normal?:confused:
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    i thought a wealth of knowledge like you doodles would have at first suspected the alternator to be faulty, or is that too obvious?
    ...work permit granted!
  • The brake fluid is roasting hot because one or more calipers/shoes are permanently engaged on a disc/drum.

I suggest you first check to see if the ABS sensors on whichever wheels they're mounted on, are in good condition and not full of crud.
  • Doodles22
    The brake fluid is roasting hot because one or more calipers/shoes are permanently engaged on a disc/drum.

I suggest you first check to see if the ABS sensors on whichever wheels they're mounted on, are in good condition and not full of crud.

But all the lights are on

I am pretty upset about this to be fair

All that money spent and now this, time to get the credit card out now for the garage

When will all this money on this car stop

Two weeks into a new MOT this happens

Worried its going to cost me a arm and a leg :(
  • Buy yourself an OBDII code reader, find the fault codes, look on the internet to see what they mean, and go from there.

I wouldn't mind betting its a faulty wheel sensor or something equally stupid like a malfunctioning ABS pump.
  • POil
    POil Posts: 5
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Buy yourself an OBDII code reader, find the fault codes, look on the internet to see what they mean, and go from there.

I wouldn't mind betting its a faulty wheel sensor or something equally stupid like a malfunctioning ABS pump.

Just be careful, with my Galaxy the 'fault codes' ended up with 2 new alarm systems replaced including interior sensors, new ECU etc. before the fault was traced to the starter relay.

Luckily under warranty!
  • Doodles22
    Had the car looked at my garage today.

No quick fix sadly, the car is booke in to be put on faults computer this weekend.

Very odd to be fair, even the guy said its starnge how the handbrake light is staying on even when disengaged,

I really hope its not the three words...... E....C....U
    That has gone wrong.

Will update you all when garage let me know whats come up on the computer

Thanks for your repies so far
  • the handbrake light isnt just for the handbrake, its also means worn brakepads, low brake fluid and will come on with the ABS light if there is a fault

is it ( ! )( P ) or just ( P )
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport