Real-life MMD: Secret Santa standoff

Comments

• So last year everyone agreed to a £15 limit, and everyone (except you) ignored it. Sounds like you're being precious...why not simply rip in to them about the absurdity of their "limit", and congratulate yourself to anyone and everyone about your success in keeping to the rules.
  • JBFAN
    JBFAN Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 31 October 2012 at 12:34PM
    We do Secret Santa at work, but we also then guess who bought it. Some people always overspend, and some don't spend enough - but it's getting an appropriate gift that is appreciated, not how much was spent. I've got the reputation for getting a bargain for my buck, and therefore if people get something unexpected or a collection of little items they always think it's me; now some people might buy something that was £15 and reduced to £7.50 and stick with that;I would go and spend the other £7.50. Also some people ordering off of the internet include postage charges in their allotted budget, and some add it on. What I'm saying is that I don't know how anyone could know what has been spent, because the same item from two shops, or online could vary wildly. The point is they are at fault for overspending, not you, so I would say stick to the budget; afterall that's what its for.
  • gaily
    gaily Posts: 190
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Our Secret Santa is always £5, and usually has a theme - silly, romantic, colour themed etc - just for a laugh.

However, this year, we are doubling it - but not for each other.

Our company is supporting a kids charity this year, for kids who may not get a present if not for the charities work. (I understand that sometimes the parents will actually give the kids the Charity presents as if they were from them as they are so hard up)

Therefore this year, I advocate going over the limit within reason, but if you work in an office - have a budget and stick to it. £15 would buy a nice SPA treat for someone. You can always say it cost more, or give them the full rather than discounted rate (but where's the secret in that!)

If you're interested, our supported charity is KIND Liverpool http://kind.org.uk/
    Always on the hunt for a bargain. :rolleyes:

Always grateful for any hints, tips or guidance as to where the best deals are:smileyhea
  • wanchai_2
    wanchai_2 Posts: 2,955 Forumite
    Head over to the Grabbit board and get something that *should* cost £15 for a fiver, and keep the change, or give it to charity! They sound like a bunch of b*tches who haven't moved on from the schoolyard.
    7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D
  • How about suggesting everyone contribute to an NHS lottery syndicate for 2013. That way the money does some good and if you win, you all win together. Just a thought.
  • Barryfan
    Barryfan Posts: 67 Forumite
    The clue is in the name - Secret Santa. £15 seems high to me, we do £5 and no-one knows who has bought what. We write down the names of everyone who wants to take part, then these are drawn out by each participant (in secret) so no-one knows who is buying for who - makes much more sense. I would let your colleagues know that you intend to stick to the budget even if they don't - if you get called names again then don't take part next year and tell them why!
  • RuthnJasper
    RuthnJasper Posts: 4,032
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I find it absolutely disgusting that the poor OP was slated by her colleagues for her gift last year. The avaricious bints in her office should be grateful for what they receive.

Our office limit is £5, and I usually get something small and quirky from www.iwantoneofthose.com or similar.

I think that if it gets to the point where it's become a chore, humiliating, or a source of contention then it's not worth doing. Just go out for Friday night drinkies after work instead and forget the presents.
  • Surfer
    Surfer Posts: 361 Forumite
    In the past I have opted out of it by saying I was from another faith as I hate having things forced on me even though I am of the Christian faith. Stick to your £15 and if you are teased, don't do it next year and opt out!
  • Like almost everyone else on this thread, I think £15 is incredibly expensive for a Secret Santa, and that the OP's colleagues were ungrateful and rude to describe her as a Scrooge - and for sticking to the limit, too, when that's surely the whole point of the limit.

The easy way out is to spend £15 for something that's reduced and originally cost more. A better would be a strict limit so that this doesn't happen again, and a better still would be a £5 limit all round and a £10 donation to the donor's own choice of charity.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone —
    Kindness in another’s trouble,
    Courage in your own.
    Adam Lindsay Gordon
  • Are you nuts? £15 for a Secret Santa is ludicrously high anyway. Stick to the budget if you have to do it at all, and if anyone asks how much you've spent, lie. The whole Christmas present spending thing has gone way out of control as it is. Why waste vast sums on things people probably don't want anyway? If you must buy something, get a small low-priced thing that can be eaten, unless you know what the person really wants/needs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure