Thinking of getting Married - State Pension Query

Options
Hi, I am 64 years old and in receipt of the basic State Pension plus a few pounds extra for Additional State Pension or something like that!

I am thinking of getting married to my long term partner, he also gets the State Pension ++ a few small extras. Its not much but we can just about manage. Am I right in thinking that our State Pensions will be unchanged if we marry - we wont be forced to claim a married couple's joint pension which would be less than our individual ones?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    Options
    There is no such thing as a married couple's joint pension.

You each have state retirement entitlement in your own right, that will continue. You'll receive your state pension as if you were 2 single people living together. That's what DH and I do, and we've been married almost 11 years.

What are the 'few small extras'? SERPS/S2P, or pension from former employment, that kind of thing?
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • More4Less
    Options

What are the 'few small extras'? SERPS/S2P, or pension from former employment, that kind of thing?

Yes, that is right. Thanks for your help.

I got this from the Which Web site which made me think there was a married couple's pension.

'Full basic state pension for 2012-13 for a single person is £107.45 per week. Full basic state pension for a married couple (or civil partners) for £2012-13 is £171.85.'
  • bigfreddiel
    Options
    More4Less wrote: »
    Full basic state pension for a married couple (or civil partners) for £2012-13 is £171.85.'
    a married couple's pension is where only one partner has paid his/her ni for thirty years plus

you've both earned your own so you're okay as a pevious poster said.

cheers

fj
  • Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,162 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    edited 27 December 2012 at 11:41PM
    Options
    More4Less wrote: »
    Yes, that is right. Thanks for your help.

I got this from the Which Web site which made me think there was a married couple's pension.

'Full basic state pension for 2012-13 for a single person is £107.45 per week. Full basic state pension for a married couple (or civil partners) for £2012-13 is £171.85.'

This only applies if one of the couple does not have a state pension in their own right, for example a wife who has never been employed as was common many years ago.

(Or if their employment entitles them to less than the £64 extra in the married couples pension)
  • margaretclare
    Options

I really wish the powers-that-be would change their terminology, because this is misleading and leads to this question being asked time and again.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
  • Goldenyears
    Options
    The Which website does explain it correctly, but then under the heading Joint Pensions goes on to muddle things again with:

Effectively, the non-qualifying partner receives reduced basic state pension of £64.40 per week. Where both couples qualify for full state pension, they receive this individually, getting £107.45 each- giving them a combined basic pension of £214.90 per week.

implying there is such a thing as a joint pension not received individually!
  • More4Less
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Crystal clear now, can think about marriage with that problem out of the way.

Happy New Year to All!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport