The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

5 OS Pleasures in your Day Today part 2

Comments

• Louba
    Louba Posts: 283 Forumite
    Yay - new thread!

1 - salvaged alot of wasted food from a lunch meeting in the office yesterday so had lots of nice veg to add to the dinner last night and.....
    2 - a lovely salad for my lunch today
    3 - 4 out of the 24 things listed on Amaz*n the other night have sold - not for lots but every little helps :)
    4 - I called tesco yesterday to change the address on my CLubcard - its two houses ago and I don't think the post office can cope with redirting mail that has already been redirected! The lovely lady is going to recredit any points which were converted into vouchers since April
    5 - Stopped my overpayment to my mortage so I can add it to the deposit fund instead and also arranged to have a consent to let put in place for my flat, feeling quite virtuous!

Lx
    Mortgage as at March 2010 £225,000 target for December 2012 £170,000. Blog link http://beautifulorpractical.blogspot.com/2010/07/oh-this-is-all-new.html :j
  • :DWhat on earth is veda? I'm guessing it's Northern Irish? Tayto too?
  • thriftlady wrote: »
    Tayto too?

This is a tayto :rolleyes: :D

potato_heart_mutation.jpg
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • hotcookie101
    hotcookie101 Posts: 2,060
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 28 October 2009 at 1:32PM
    Wow, talk of tayto and veda making me homesick! (although much of childhood was in dublin-I spent my preteen, and teenage years in belfast-all my growing up, my poor parents I must have put them through hell :D) I miss tayto :( I know you can get it delivered, but (please forgive me NI people :D) I prefer the ones from the south, and they won't deliver to UK :( Maybe I will just have to settle for tayto castle ones :D:D
    Pleasures today:
    1)Sheets out on the line, although I'm not sure how dry they will get in this dark weather
    2)have red cabbage cooking away in SC (giving it another chance to see if it behaves-not generally a fan of slow cookered stuff)
    3)made old fashioned mince and tatties to have for dinner tomorrow night (will be working latish and will have to go back quickly before bed, so not having to actually cook when I get in is a godsend :D OH can reheat and cook some veg so dinner on the table when I get in)
    4)OH out tonight so going to make the most of a night to myself and catch up with some reading
    5) going to take a trip into town shortly to have a wee browse through the shops, may buy stuff may not :cool:

BTW-zippychick- "wick" you have just managed to regress me 15 years and I am back in belfast, feel wick, i'm gonna boke, bout ye- I love norn iron expressions :D
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    thriftlady wrote: »
    :DWhat on earth is veda? I'm guessing it's Northern Irish? Tayto too?

Good questions!

Veda is a malt bread. Delicious toasted, fresh, with melted cheese, soft boiled eggs. Absolutely gorgeous! Northern irish bread. I don't know that there is an equivalent elsewhere!
    180px-SunblestVeda.jpg

Apparently it's a scottish invention? can't find one story, all ocnflicting. No fruit or alcohol, just yummy breadness - story here

tayto are legendary crisps. There is a tayto factory over here (I've always wanted to visit!) - Linky , or buy tayto online . They make a crisp sandwich and beat walkers cheese and onion hands down any day!:j
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• jc2703
    jc2703 Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    You're all nuts...however i have to admit being converted to Tayto...my hubby swears by maltesers and cheese & onion tayto (yes...together!) and in Asda the other day he was drooling at Veda and bought some and was chuffed that it had a whoopsie sticker on..bless him!

I on the other hand have converted him to my hometown dish of 'Parmo's' :-D

J x
    Climbing back on the OS wagon after a short vacation to Recklessness
    Quit Smoking 08/06/09
  • Pleasures so far today:

1. buying body warmer and boots from church charity shop - bargains!:j

2. collecting sticks for starter wood from woods opposite house with DD.

3. home -made lemon drizzle cake and cup of tea when got home from work ( 2 slices ;))

4. DD giving me a present - a beautiful orange and pink leaf

5. looking forward to dinner out with parents tonight so no cooking/ loading dishwasher this evening x
  • zippychick
    zippychick Posts: 9,364
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Wow, talk of tayto and veda making me homesick! (although much of childhood was in dublin-I spent my preteen, and teenage years in belfast-all my growing up, my poor parents I must have put them through hell :D) I miss tayto :( I know you can get it delivered, but (please forgive me NI people :D) I prefer the ones from the south, and they won't deliver to UK :( Maybe I will just have to settle for tayto castle ones :D:D
    Pleasures today:
    1)Sheets out on the line, although I'm not sure how dry they will get in this dark weather
    2)have red cabbage cooking away in SC (giving it another chance to see if it behaves-not generally a fan of slow cookered stuff)
    3)made old fashioned mince and tatties to have for dinner tomorrow night (will be working latish and will have to go back quickly before bed, so not having to actually cook when I get in is a godsend :D OH can reheat and cook some veg so dinner on the table when I get in)
    4)OH out tonight so going to make the most of a night to myself and catch up with some reading
    5) going to take a trip into town shortly to have a wee browse through the shops, may buy stuff may not :cool:

BTW-zippychick- "wick" you have just managed to regress me 15 years and I am back in belfast, feel wick, i'm gonna boke, bout ye- I love norn iron expressions :D
    Ah bless! The southern ones are great and they do taste different. I totally agree. Every time i go down south i bring some back up! Silly .

Oh i try not to use colloquialisms he he! Didn't possibly realise wick was one! I said "head melter" to someone english the other day and they didn't know what that meant! :confused: :rotfl:

What are parmos? I got two loaves of veda reduced for 25p each with days left on the date. Couldn't not buy it!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men :cool:
    Norn Iron club member #380

• zippychick wrote: »
    tayto are legendary crisps. There is a tayto factory over here (I've always wanted to visit!) - Linky , or buy tayto online . They make a crisp sandwich and beat walkers cheese and onion hands down any day!:j

So I was close, then ;):p:D
    :rudolf: Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding :rudolf:
  • jc2703
    jc2703 Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    zippychick wrote: »
    What are parmos? I got two loaves of veda reduced for 25p each with days left on the date. Couldn't not buy it!

Parmo's are chicken (or pork) in breadcrumbs, topped with a very think white sauce with grated cheese all over....served with chips, creamed cabbage and garlic sauce and tasty anytime but particularly after a skinful of beer :D

Now i'm hungry AND homesick!

J x
    Climbing back on the OS wagon after a short vacation to Recklessness
    Quit Smoking 08/06/09
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business