How to replace UPVC window handles/locks

Comments

• ukwoody
    ukwoody Posts: 531 Forumite
    The best way, is to remove it from the window, take some pictures of it and e-mail them over to a couple of companies to identify. If there are any names or markings on them besure to mention them. Also measure the overall length and, the distance from the front face to midle of the spindle hole on the gearbox.

These guys are usually quite helpful http://www.upvcwindow-doorparts.co.uk/products.php?categoryID=41

regards
    woody
    City & Guilds qualified Wood Butcher:D
  • Our house is only 4 years old and already 4 of the window handles have broken. And we're not heavy handed!

I called the company that installed them and they offered me 4 new handles to fix myself (£20 total) or to send an engineer at £54 an hour!

I had no idea I'd be able to do this myself. Well, fingers crossed anyway...

Should save me a fortune!
  • I have a UPVC window with a multipoint locking system where the handle has become stuck so that the window cannot be opened.I have seen the previous responses but because I cannot open the window cannot see whether or not the rollers or the brass rod(I take it that this is the one that joins the rollers and locks into the sides of the frame at the bottom)are moving or not.consequently I am not sure whether to replace the handle or the gearbox and if it is just the handle how do I remove the plastic cover that conceals the screws?
    Any responses will be greatly appreciated.
    Dime-04
  • Hi Dime-04,
    Did you manage to sort out your problem?
    I obviously don't know who manufactured your UPVC lock, but it definitely sounds like a gearbox problem. If you can get the window open, take a couple of pics and send them across to total locks. They were able to identify the lock for me and advise what replacement I needed. I didn't have a clue how to fit, but they managed to talk me through that bit too.
    If you can get in to see it, go to the multipoint locks section of total-locks.com - it helps you identify the multipoint lock yourself.
    Hope this helps anyway. Any questions about how I fit the replacement, reply here!
    Chris
  • Thanks to the replies on this thread I have saved over £100!

I'm not very DIY savvy and when I broke the handle on my bathroom window the first thing I did was get a couple of quotes to supply and fit a new one - quotes ranged from £108 (incl VAT) to £138 + VAT. After reading this thread I decided to have a proper look at the window - all I had to do was remove two screws, have a quick scout on the internet to find the right size handle, wait two days for the handle and just fit it, by the way of two screws - no muss, no fuss!

The handle cost less that £6 incl postage and the acutal time spent fitting the handle was less that 10 minutes. I am really greatful to the people who replied to this thread as I don't have a £100 spare and, more importantly, I am starting to realise that (provided gas, electric or water are not involved) I can do much more around my home than I realise!
    Don't judge people on they way they look, the way they speak or what they're called because they can't help that.

Only judge people on what they say and what they do.
  • I've resurrected this thread as I need a bit of assistance.

I've broken my upvc living room window.

The window opens by turning the handle to the '9 o'clock' position to open like a door inwards into the room. It can also tilt inwards from the top leaving the bottom of the window sealed by turning the handle to the '12 o'clock' position.

The other night after the window had been open all day I noticed that the frame hadn't been closed properly. The seal wasn't secure and there was a draft. I slammed the window shut and tried to lock the window using the handle and the handle didn't budge.The window is stuck in the tilt position and my husband is sure that it isn't the handle that's at fault that I've maybe jammed the mechanism that slides up and seals the window shut.

We're both diy novices and tried googling etc to no avail. If anyone knows what I'm talking about and could advise, I'd be very grateful.

I'm sorry but as a newbie I can't post a photo of a similar window. :(

• loracan1
    loracan1 Posts: 2,287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think I know the sort of window you mean - I have a huge window in the bedroom similar and find I have to manouvre the window shut to get it sealed properly, very very difficult to shut once I try it in the fully-opening position so I tend to only ever use the tilt. Can you move the handle at all when it's in the tilt position - I've sometimes found that if I 'jiggle' the window about I can get the handle to turn.
  • ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    my auntie has simiilar windows in her tower block flat.
    try jiggling the handle a bit whilst opening/closing the window. that usually works.
    Get some gorm.
  • Thanks both.

The handle won't jiggle at all, it's locked in the tilt position. The window itself is sealed shut at the bottom as it would be correctly in the tilt position so I fear breaking the unit completely if I force the window into the 'open' position.

• ormus
    ormus Posts: 42,714 Forumite
    try the key?
    Get some gorm.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business