PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Catering for approx 120?

Hi all,

I'm hoping I can get some useful opinions and advice...

We're getting married just before Christmas and for several reasons I don't want caterers.

What I plan to do is have two buffets.

First one will be a hot buffet with people sat at set tables and bridesmaids telling each table when it is their turn to get food.

The hot aspect will be a few simple things in slow cookers, eg 2 x bolognese, 2 x chilli con carne, 2 x vegetarian curry (in 6.5 litre slow cookers). These dishes I will cook myself before the big day.

The rest of the buffet will be cold items brought along by guests, salad, rice, vegetable dishes etc. I'll organise how many of each by having an online gift wish list.

In the evening they'll be a cold buffet of cold meat sandwiches. I'll get a load of yummy breadcakes (rolls) made and either buy the joints or again have them on the gift list. Also any "leftovers" from the big buffet.

I've suggested this to loads of people. Some say its a brilliant idea and a lovely way for people to get involved in the day and give a present we want rather than just money/bedding etc. Others think I'm totally mad and we need caterers to avoid loads of stress on the day.

What do you guys think? :confused:

Mads
Proud to be a moneysaver! :cool:

Comments

• moo2moo
    moo2moo Posts: 4,694 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you pre-book with your local Asda they will bake bread rolls to order so you can have as many of the 36 packs as you like.

You can hire soup cauldrons relatively cheaply which will allow you to keep your food hot. Also borrowing a heated hostess trolley would come in handy assuming your venue doesn't already have these things. Check your venue has enough electrical points as 6+ slowcookers may cause problems if theres only 1 socket in the area you want to serve food from. Also whilst 36 litres of slow cooker space sounds a lot it isn't enough for 120 people. See if you can get hold of a copy of Crackenell and Kaufman "Practical Profesional Cookery" from your library as it gives quantities for that number of people as well as a lot of time and money saving tips.

You're not a Jehovahs Witness by any chance? as their weddings tend to be like this only without a guest list as anyone can turn up to celebrate with you.

Yuo could try your local catering college and see if they have any students who would be available to assist with your prep, serving and clear up. It would make a great project and look good on their CV.
    Saving for a Spinning Wheel and other random splurges : £183.50
  • You're very brave to take on catering for such a large number!

I would do it for 10 or 20, but I couldn't manage it for that amount of guests.

Your ideas sound great though.

Good luck!

:beer:

;) Felines are my favourite ;)
  • moanymoany
    moanymoany Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    I think this is a fab idea.

Not knowing what kitchen facilities you will have available I think your choices are good.

My wedding reception - which was 40 years ago this weekend! - was typical of the time and simple.

There was a turkey and a ham which was carved for people. With that was salad, bread rolls and all the other buffet bits.

The dessert was trifle in those little waxed, oblong, frilled dishes.

It was simple but really nice.

I think that weddings have gone mad - though there always were people who spent a lot. Our friends wedding was smashing. The bride made the dresses herself, she and her sister made the cake, the reception was at their home and they made the food themselves. It was typical food for the time, simple and delicious. I don't think it would have been more enjoyable if it had cost an arm or a leg.
  • At our wedding 'do', we had two friends set up and run a bbq. It worked really well, especially as both sets of family and friends got chatting together as they waited for their burger or whatever to finish cooking.

It was economical, offered a large degree of choice (chicken pieces, burgers, sausages, mushrooms, onions, bap or french bread, non-meat burgers for vegetarians) as well as sheer good fun - it's hard to be toffee-nosed Great Aunt Agatha when you're trying to stop the juices running down your chin!

I realise that yours is a winter wedding but would there be a covered space anywhere at your venue where a similar arrangement could be set up? We catered very easily for well over 100 people and by using paper plates and plastic cutlery, there was little or no washing up afterwards either.

Hope your day goes well and well done in planning your wedding by the size of your bank balance and not by the amount of keeping up with the Jones' so many people make the expensive mistake of doing.
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Congratulations! :beer:

I think it is a brilliant idea. A friend had a DIY wedding where they asked friends to contribute to the wedding rather than buy them a gift - they made it clear that they would appreciate 'effort' rather than 'financial cost', most people entered the spirit of things beautifully! The dress was altered by a guest, the cake, decorations and flowers were done by guests, as well as a big buffet by lots of us. Even the venue was a gift from the landlord, and I think that the only real expense was the registry office in the end. What happened with the food was, some of the evening guests gave an 'organisation' team as their gift and people took the food etc to them during the day. Then when the rest of the evening guests arrived, we chipped in with putting everything out. It was a wonderful ice-breaker for a disperate group of people as well. There was no little groups hiding in corners and families not mingling, everyone went round asking what others' contributions were, and trying to find who had made that delightful whatever and how did they do it?! And the cleaning up was covered by a lot of the older guests, who seemed to take great delight and satisfaction from it. Instead of wedding favours, there were chupachup lollipops (a gift) and postcards asking for tips and advice on marriage life, these made another album to go with the photos (taken by guests - the offical 'photos' by a photographer friend and by a local journalist who'd asked to write a piece about it, plus amateur photos from guests)

When the speeches were made, there were tears from pretty much everybody, as the groom thanked everyone from halping to make a wedding that was more wonderful than he'd have ever dreamed of. He said that most weddings are a lot of expense for a lot of people you never really wanted to invite, but that every single person in the room was a dear friend, and that they'd never foget all the friends who helped to give them the best possible start to their married life. By this point even big butch rugby boys had tears in their eyes! Then they went off to Cornwall to honeymoon in a guest's caravan, and they now have a bona fide honeymoon baby ;)

It's not for everyone, and it's a lot of hard work (but aren't all weddings?) but if I ever planned to get married, that's how I'd choose to do it too. They've already started a big trend - loads of people I know have started to take aspects of the big day, although not to that extreme!

Whatever you decide to do, remember that it's your wedding, and that anyone whose going to stop you from doing what you want to do is thinking of their own issues, not yours :)
  • Maddie
    Maddie Posts: 858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for all the tips and encouragement :j

Nope, I'm not a Jehovah's Witness. We're not religious at all so didn't want a church wedding. But as the day we want (our 10 year anniversary) is a Sunday, we couldn't just do it at a registry office.

However we managed to find a fantastic venue - a village hall where we can pretty much do what we want. We asked them to apply for a license so we can have the ceremony there and they got it :D.

The hall's got cutlery and crockery etc and an industrial dishwasher, but other than that, only basic kitchen facilities (ie only as much as in a household kitchen).

Given that it'll be cold and its going to be a long day (ceremony at 12:30), I think we need a proper meal - but I'm trying to keep it simple by having only a bit of hot stuff.

I think we should be ok for plugs, as can always use extension leads and as slow cookers don't use much electricity so I wouldn't have thought that'd be a problem.

So I just need to work out how many cookers we need to give everyone a generous dollop and ensure I communicate well with the guests!

Cheers :A
    Proud to be a moneysaver! :cool:
  • elle_gee
    elle_gee Posts: 8,584 Forumite
    Just a quick thought, obviously it depends on your guests (if they all have internet access) but you could use this site - www.whattogive.co.uk - to create your online list / menu and everyone can mark off what they want to pledge for the day :) I found out about it from others on these forums (haven't used it myself tho, but it looks good).
  • piglet6
    piglet6 Posts: 1,532 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Maddie, I think that your wedding plans sound great!

We got married 12 years ago, and although we did have a local catering firm to do the "sit down" meal after the service for 120 people, my Mum organised the buffet in the evening for nearly 200 people. (The local catering firm was actually a local butcher, who saw a niche opening in the market and went for it - this means that they had lovely meat for their roast dinners, but their evening buffet was mostly made up of a mixture of bread rolls, cut in half and buttered with a slice of meat on - again, lovely quality meat, but not very exciting...and basic cream cakes for dessert - I think the butcher's wife had taken some kind of course in cream cakes, because you could have cream horns, cream doughnuts, cream slices, and profiteroles filled with...cream!!!).

12 months before our wedding, Mum "rescued" and "re-homed" a big chest freezer that one of her friends was getting rid of. She then took advantage of BOGOFs and 3 for 2 offers in different supermarkets throughout the year. Admittedly, on the morning of the wedding, various friends of my parents took different bits out of the freezer to cook and prepare, but our evening buffet was fantastic (12 years on when we meet up at other mutual friends weddings, people still comment on our buffet!) - we had cold meats, bread rolls and french baguettes, jacket potatoes (Mum bought a sack from a local farmer and different friends cooked some each), pizzas, quiches, rice/potato/pasta/couscous salads, coleslaw, green salads (lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, spring onions, celery, etc), crudites and dips, sausage/cheese & onion rolls, mini bhajis, mini samosas and mini spring rolls, sausages on sticks, cheese & pineapple on sticks... The list is endless - basically all manner of "party" food.

I'm sure that my Mum bore the brunt of the organisation and co-ordination, but she still maintains that she loved every minute of it, and loads of friends/family joined in with setting it out and making sure it all looked lovely and it was a huge success!

I have been to many weddings over the last 12 years (including several "fancy" affairs where I know my friends paid £15-20+ per head just for the evening buffet for something which was not nearly as good as ours). With careful planning and taking advantage of offers, our evening buffet came in at about £2.50 per head (and even in 1996 that was not bad!).

I hope you have a wonderful wedding day :D, and congratulations on concentrating on the real meaning of the day, rather than just throwing loads of money at the occasion unnecessarily... ;)

Piglet
    x
  • Hi there :wave:

At our wedding in 2004 we married in a hotel but skipped the formal meal in place of a carvery-style buffet. We got married at 4pm and invited everyone from 4pm, no evening guests, so only one round of food. Everyone thoroughly enjoyed the informality of it all, no seating plans, just everyone sat where they wanted and were called up a table at a time to eat. It went down really well and I'd thoroughly recommend it.

We also did the speeches straight after the ceremony and before we ate - this meant everyone was so much more relaxed and could just get on with enjoying the event!

Good luck with your wedding, it sounds lovely and I'm sure with the organisation you have in mind it will be a wonderful day.

Debbie. :)
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member No 1001 - Proud to be dealing with my debts :cool:
  • It sounds really lovely! Just a couple of additional thoughts from me. If you'll be needing 6-8 slow cookers that you probably won't use again, why not ask on Freecycle if people have one you can have (then Freecycle on afterwards) or even borrow for a few days?

Also are you having someone supervising the buffet? A parent, ushers? I think that would take the pressure of you and OH.

Hope it all goes well. Can't wait to hear.
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport