JSA - Can they sanction me?

124»

Comments

• I was offered an interview tomorrow which I have turned down for the following reasons:

1) They didn't inform me of the interview until 7:30pm tonight
    2) I am currently not driving due to a recent car accident and the interview is in Manchester and I physically can not organise travel at a reasonable cost at such short notice
    3) They wanted me to attend on two seperate days for two short interviews (One was an interview, one was a teaching task, both 30 mins to 1 hour)
    4) I can't physically afford two train fares to Manchester when I haven't even had my first JSA payment.

My main worry is that by turning this down the job centre will sanction me for it. It was through one of their leads from the website which I wrote down that I was applying to.

if the jobs not going to cover your rent and normal living expenses i don't see how they can sanction you for that,as the job cent-re would be putting you at a financial disadvantage,with their mentality though they wouldn't care,
  • Elvisia
    Elvisia Posts: 914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'd tell the people offering me an interview that you are unable to afford the train fare, you never know they may say they will pay for it. Otherwise just don't tell the JC anything, if you're only just signing on they're not going to start ringing up people at this early stage to see if you've applied, it generally happens once you've been signing on for a bit and if they are suspicious. Then if they do say anything just simply say you had no money as you have no JSA, in the highly unlikely event it went to sanctioning you can just appeal against it, surely no sane person would fail to see what a ridiculous situation this is to be in.
  • out_of_cash
    out_of_cash Posts: 763 Forumite
    edited 10 December 2012 at 10:33AM
    "surely no sane person would fail to see what a ridiculous situation this is to be in."

Elvisia you are so right!

Unfortunately the people running this country and the ones before have no appreciation of what its like to be backed into a corner , though in the majority of cases its no fault of their own.

Jobcetnre plus are very keen to place peolple into very low paid temporary positions .Anyone whos had to take a temp job and been claiming housing benefit will know the total nightmare that begins when doing this.They will soon scrap the jsa agreement and remove all rights,thats the way this system is going as its easy to shaft the unemployed.

I have a similar situation myself to contend with like HappyMJ and its giving me sleepless nights,apparently i have to go for an interview and if offered the job have to take it,its absolutely mental as i will then become homeless due to lack of funds to meet my rent etc.

Really don't know which way to turn.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport