This is the discussion are for the updated

Please click reply to discuss

Former MSE team member

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hey I'm only 20 so not even thinking about kids yet. But are there any self select CTF investments? So like a Hargeaves Lansdowne Vantage ISA equiavlent?

Or is your only option to go and see an IFA who can set one up?

Just would be nice to have a top self select investment CTFs with charges etc. on.
  • I have a question about bank accounts / investment funds. Basically I have a niece and nephew who are both estranged from my family because of a messy divorce, I’m not allowed to see them grow up and any cheques I send them for birthdays or Christmas never get cashed.

I was thinking of setting up a small trust or bank account for each of them so that at least if they can’t see me they’d at least get something from me in the future say like when they’re 21 or something. I’m not sure how I’d go about setting up something like this.

The kids are now 12 and 14 respectively so I was wondering if you could put me on the right track?
  • In the last budget it was mentioned that all disabled children would receive an extra payment into their child trust fund. Despite scouring the budget report and the internet I haven't found anymore mentions of this or when it will happen.

Is anyone else aware of this and do they have any details ?

many thanks
  • purplegaily
    purplegaily Posts: 49
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 4 September 2009 at 8:02AM
    I just placed the cheques for my children in the Children's Mutual accounts - which are linked to stocks rather than being interest based. As both were invested at the start of 2007, they are now worth less than when initially invested (won't put my own money in, as have made separate provision for them in my own name, which they can have when they are ready for it - not just as they turn 18!)

My boys are nearly 3 now, anyone got any thoughts about the longer term for these - ie think I should leave them there as the market is likley to change for the better at some point, or should I tart about for a good savings rate now until the market recovers??

(Edit - not after professional answers, just thoughts/ideas - other people's experiences and what they've done)
    Always on the look out for a bargain. :smileyhea Thanks if you've helped me bag one.
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,026
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Lokolo wrote: »
    Hey I'm only 20 so not even thinking about kids yet. But are there any self select CTF investments? So like a Hargeaves Lansdowne Vantage ISA equiavlent?

Or is your only option to go and see an IFA who can set one up?

Just would be nice to have a top self select investment CTFs with charges etc. on.
    Selftrade provide a Self Select CTF. They went back on introducing their AMC on the CTF account so you only pay £12.50 per transaction (plus any tax/stamp duty on shares).
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • cloud_dog
    Forumite
    My boys are nearly 3 now, anyone got any thoughts about the longer term for these - ie think I should leave them there as the market is likley to change for the better at some point, or should I tart about for a good savings rate now until the market recovers??

(Edit - not after professional answers, just thoughts/ideas - other people's experiences and what they've done)
    Seeings as you are alsready making other provisions for your children why not view the CTF money as a freebee and take some risks with it? You never know it may pay off :T

• hi all
    just wondering--- the ctf is tax free, is this till they are 18 or 16, then pay heavy tax for 2 years untill they are 18?

just wondering because if it is tax free untill 16 then taxed untill 18 then that means the goverment will get alot of money back through taxes.

thanx in advance
    I SPOKE TO A WISE OLD MAN THE OTHER DAY.
    HE TOLD ME 3 WAYS TO HAVE GOOD LUCK!!!!!!:j

FORGOTTEN IT ALREADY!!!!:rotfl::rotfl:
  • cloud_dog
    Forumite
    pammie39 wrote: »
    hi all
    just wondering--- the ctf is tax free, is this till they are 18 or 16, then pay heavy tax for 2 years untill they are 18?

just wondering because if it is tax free untill 16 then taxed untill 18 then that means the goverment will get alot of money back through taxes.

thanx in advance
    Ooooh, you cynic...... It is tax exempt until aged 18.

Edit: Ignoring the CTF, children are treated no differently than adults when it comes to tax; everyone has taxable allowances and over these allowances you are taxed.

• cloud_dog wrote: »
    Seeings as you are alsready making other provisions for your children why not view the CTF money as a freebee and take some risks with it? You never know it may pay off :T

Cloud_dog - what a good idea. Hadn't thought about it like that. Mind you - too much gambling, and they may wonder why they haven't got any money in the account for their 18th, when all their mates do!!

My thoughts on the CTF link back to when I was at Uni, and Student loans. One of the guys at our place got his full loan as soon as possible, and went out and spent the lot the day he got it on a new wardrobe (this was 1993, so they weren't what they are now) - he then went back to his parents for the money for his college books.

I hope I can bring my children up better, but you never know what they'll do, and as they are all going to get cash at 18, it may become the birthday slush fund.
    Always on the look out for a bargain. :smileyhea Thanks if you've helped me bag one.
  • cloud_dog
    Forumite
    I hope I can bring my children up better, but you never know what they'll do, and as they are all going to get cash at 18, it may become the birthday slush fund.
    Yes, this is a common concern and theme on these boards, and to a large extent one I do understand.

Having said that in reality as they grow you will have to trust them more and more. There isn't anything to stop them at 18 gettting a credit card and blowing the balance, nothing to stop them borrowing your car getting hammered and driving home; except how they are brought up and them understanding about responsibilities.

My view is that I am investing the CTF and after 4 years of investing (self select) it has more than doubled and obviously, I hope my child will have a degree of responsibility towards the monies at 18. Additionally therre is a savings account for her which she will start being aware of / using the next few years. We are also saving for her for things which a child may not want to spend money on (Uni, car, house, wedding - all those boring things).

Atm, she does not and will not get pocket money, she earns 'pennies' for doing things (tidy bedroom, etc, etc, etc). This is really udeful because it allows her to psudeo buy things when we are out (obviosuly we top up if she deserves it and has some pennies) but (importantly) if we don't feel its appropriate (waste of money etc) we simply ask her if she has any pennies and if she hasn't then she simply can't have it - works really well for us.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport