We Are Decking the Halls with NSDs December Challenge

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,817
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    red~so glad that your mum has had her operation and seems to be on the mend :j
    Remember to look after yourself too xx
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • IF
    IF Posts: 34,349
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    2ym65q8.gif

Hi lovely NSD gang:A
    As you can see there is lots of activity on this challenge at the moment and it's difficult sometimes to see how many NSDs you're all declaring on posts.
    Could I ask you to highlight your number of NSDs in a colour and in bold so that I can see them easily when I whizz through the posts - red would be best but I don't really mind as long as I can see the numbers easily.

Some helpful suggestions and ideas to follow below from our sponsor and godmother, BigMummaF :A

NO SPEND CHALLENGE.

1. Have a good, long think about what YOU want to include in your Spend & Excluded categories.
    Some of us count everything from Direct Debits & school expenses, while others do not include things like essential Bills or emergency medical costs. If you plan what is or is not a Spend for you now, it will help you decide on a realistic Target.
    2. It is NOT a race!
    We all have very different demands on our time & bank balance, so please do not think you have to buy everything on 1st January & make it last till 31st December! A few of us have been following this Challenge for a long...long...LONG time so have developed plans & ploys to help us along the way wink2.gif
    3. Most important of all, WE..DO..NOT..FAIL!
    Sometimes we can't quite reach our Target, but that is fine :) Everyone knows how Life will try to trip us up, & that is when you will find us here to help you back on to your feet.

OK, an idea of how some of us do things.
    1. What you will or will not include as a 'Spend'.
    Some people are doing other challenges too, & don't include the money spent on those for this one.
    Some will try to shop for other bits on the days their direct debits etc go out of their bank accounts; they're the real hard core of the bunch sport-smiley-003.gif & have been l-o-n-g time Nsders so don't panic :p
    Some won't count those annoying last minute demands from school & collections as you can't plan for them in advance, likewise emergency prescriptions or visits to the vet :(
    Personally speaking & providing I don't buy anything else, I don't count parking for hospital appointments.(..but then I usually do my shopping because I'm already out :whistle:)
    General thoughts on €bay sales is the buyer has paid P&P so no cost to you :D
    2. It takes Time to reach mega-numbers!
    The First suggestion is the first, because a bit of planning will work wonders on your road to your Target. Have a look at thefirst posts each month for a hefty list of other threads that may be of help. For example, there's a few giving ideas for packed lunches so you can avoid standing in the queue at the bakers for 45mins of your lunch hour! A good incentive to tweak your healthy eating & the pounds you save will show in your bank balance AND your waistline action-smiley-076.gif
    It helps to have various 'money pots' for the different costs that happen like Scouts, dinner money, yoga, window cleaner etc etc. The idea is you "spend" all that money in one hit by..:think:..
    let's say **putting the week's bus fares into the pretty coffee jar, Jo's tumble tots SIZE=2]Weds mornings[/SIZE in the cracked teapot & Ben's £1 coin for the gym locker SIZE=2]Friday lunch[/SIZE in the pocket of the changing bag, on Tuesdays every week when you've got some change from doing the food shop, so an already spendy day. At least four 'spending days' condensed into one ;) (**mine's jam jars for windows, milkman & a bit towards the bills!)
    3. Any day the money stays in your pocket is a bonus!
    If you look at it as a day you beat the system, you can't help but :j so don't fret it--ENJOY! If nothing else in here, we do manage find something to make us smile :D

We have virtual outings to wonderful places that never cost us a bean :rotfl:New York, Edinburgh & Brighton have been a couple & Spoon usually pilots the Tardis but you can use your own transport; my personal favourite has been a sit-on lawn mower borrowed from the cricket club :D The only thing to be aware of is Hubert the donkey who is partial to anything remotely edible but is not yet house-trained :o

And Remember;
    there are no silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask us anything!
    "If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride"
  • Hello all

Drifting in to declare NSD #5 for the month. 3 in a row so far. If I make tomorrow NSD I will at least have met my 4 in a row target!! Woohoo!!!

Well done everyone, red, glad to hear your mum has had the op & getting better. Keep up the good work peoples :) xx
    Virtual Pot #25 £0.00/£350.00
    A black belt only covers 2 inches of your a$$ - You have to cover the rest yourself - Royce Gracie
  • kitschkitty
    kitschkitty Posts: 3,177
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    NSD 2 today, had thought I'd have at least 1 more this week, but have been out and about more than I expected.

On Monday I had my printing class, Tuesday as I had to pop in to see our letting agents, and took advantage of the money off vouchers I had for Aldi, then yesterday I went to a learners, achievement presentation and did some food shopping afterwards. Planning on staying in the next few days, so will hopefully nab a few more NSDs. :)
    A waist is a terrible thing to mind.
  • Whoop I have 6NSD in a row now, I think today I may be breaking the chain as sadly one of my friends at work died and I do want to give to the collection. But I do think I have had a good run.
    • MSE Forum Achievements:
    • Debt-free & Proud - December 2014
    • Fully Funded 12 Month Emergency Fund - December 2020
    • Current Challenges: No Spend Challenge 2023
    • January NSD: 16/25
  • Thanks to everyone for the hugs and good wishes etc. My mum had a heart operation on Tuesday and is on the mend, so things are good.

Ohhh Red great news that the Ops been done (it's always horrible waiting for these to happen....) and that your Mum is recovering well:)
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • just tidying up for yesterday

:jkururunfa - This is
    NSD #2 well done such an excellent start to a late joiner.

:jModestyB -
    NSD 3 can you make your OH talk to my OH??

:jMummyRivett -
    6NSD sorry to hear and i wouldnt count that as a spend.I have a tenner in my purse for random but necessary spend. I count when i take out the £10 as a spend, but i dont when i use it. I dont replace till i use it up.

:jkitschkitty
    NSD 2 - stay at home where it is nice and warm

:jliltdiddylilt - NSD #5 for the month. 3 in a row so far.

:jbottleofred-
    NSDs 2, 3 and 4 glad to hear your mum is recovering well, take care of yourself too

:jNargleblast
    -NSD number 1 you can mount mine too! then we can have it as the star on top of the christmas tree :)

:jVickyV- ooh lucky you! NSD

:jmummy172-
    NSD 3 hey we are all allowed chocolate in these dark cold days :)

:jJAMIEDODGER- Number 4 - same as me yesterday whoop! go us!

and to finish up - NSD 4 FOR ME YESTERDAY! I starved and i went round scrounging other people's biscuits at work LOL but all for that NSD! Phew! have no idea what i am doing today but got a very busy weekend coming up, off back to where i grew up to see my dad's grave and some people before christmas.

IF YOU THINK YOU ARE SO CLEVER, THEN WHY ARE'NT YOU RICH?
    Debt = [STRIKE]21,003.22[/STRIKE] 0! :j/Car [STRIKE]4500[/STRIKE] 2875
    Savings 12k in 2013: NUMBER 093 = 1100.31/4000
    Wedding fund 1045/3500 LOL!

Crazy Clothes 2013 NO 002= 376.64/500/No MoreBooks 0/30
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    You had a lucky escape there RFTA..I was gunna give you a SHOUT to make sure you were up :D Hope it goes well & just remember, all the time you're there, you are using their heat & light ;) :money: while you mend :rotfl:
    Afternoon all holiday.gif

Got my 3rd NSD

Thank you
    IF…x

Click on link, hopefully it will make you all smile :D

> Reindeer and Santa Singing
    I loved it :T Think I may [STRIKE]pinch[/STRIKE]find a link to use for my online greetings. You have an incredible knack of finding the exact thing to cheer us up...Power to Your Posts :beer:

I've got to No 6 by taking seasonal employment as an holiday-elf-smiley-emoticon.gif in the Alternate Illusory Dept (wrapping prezzies to you & me :p ) while the wind winded & the rain rained yesterday. Shame Muvva ain't got an open fire to complete the wintery scene, but I guess living on the top floor of a block of flats may be a bit of a hurdle to that one....
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• young_un
    young_un Posts: 86 Forumite
    Sadly no NSD for me yesterday BUT I am definately getting better at this MSE lark went to a work do and withdrew my usual £70 for a night out came home at 2am this morning having only spent £25 (this includes taxi) very proud of myself :P
    Hope everyone is feeling okay today, sending big hugs and love to those that need it
    Xx
    Weight loss 0/37lb :(Vanquis £1476 Capital One £380
    Nov 2012 NSD 15/15 Dec 2012 NSD 14/15 5 in a row SPC #1874 Overdraft £800
  • slowlyfading
    slowlyfading Posts: 13,429
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Finally, NSD 3 for me today :)

I'm not doing so well on this challenge so far... :o
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger + YouTuber / In pursuit of FIRE
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport