Seller adding Paypal Surcharge - what should I do?

I have recently bought an item from a seller on Ebay and, as he did not state any postage I contacted him to ask how much. He replied saying that if I paid through paypal then he would add a 4% onto the cost and postage was free.

I replied, telling him that it was against Ebay rules to add a surcharge for Paypal and gave him the link to the page that states this. He then thanked me and said he didn't realise he wasn't supposed to do this. However, he then sent this email: (name omitted from the end)

Thank you for taking time out to send me the information as I requested. Although it is common practice to charge for the use of Paypal it does appear to be against ebay rules and I will amend the wording to my postal and packaging instructions on my future auctions. A 4% charge will now be made towards packaging costs for all Paypal users. Packaging however will remain free to bidders providing a personal cheque as a form of payment. Your postal cost will therefore be. Payment by cheque £14.95p total or £15.60p via Paypal a charge of 65p being made for packaging. Please forward me your preferred option and I will invoice you accordingly. Regards

He is, therefore, still adding a surcharge for Paypal as well as postage now. If it was up to me I'd forget the whole thing but the item is for my dad, so I don't want to upset the seller too much. What should I do next? Pay by cheque?

Comments

• wackojackouk
    wackojackouk Posts: 1,411 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    He is definately in the wrong but it's only pennies and if you must have the item then pay him the extra 65p.
  • beachbeth
    beachbeth Posts: 3,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I will pay him. Its not the money I mind. Its the principle of it. I usually avoid people who add a charge for paypal.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,193 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I agree with the other posters that in this case you probably need to just pay up and move on.

Unfortunately buying an item without confirming post and packing first leaves you open to all sorts of added extras. I personally would never bid on an item where post and packing charges are not clearly shown, one of my first purchases on ebay several years ago got me stung for high postage on a video as I just assumed the seller would be 'fair' as he had good feedback. Never again.

However much you want an item never bid unless the seller will confirm the exact post and packing he/ she will charge you.

Having said all that I have an irrational dislike of people who surcharge for paypal. It always seems to me that if they are willing to bend the rules by surcharging they might be bending the rules in other ways as well.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    personally send him a crossed postal order.......

he would have to pay it into his bank account.......

then let him leave feedback first..... that way if he diss's you , you cen leave negative.

also report him to ebay after you have received the item.
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • soolin
    Agreed, I would definitely report him to ebay once you have the item. Send them a copy of his email as he clearly trying to get round the rules by surcharging under a different name.

It probably won't do any good though, I reported a couple of sellers that had huge paypal surcharges in a category I often buy from and they are still there, still surcharging weeks later on their items. The listings I reported never did get pulled either.

The only good thing is that the surchargers in this category get considerably less for their item even including the surcharge than the others, and that makes me feel a bit better.

Soo
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • peersonally i'd weigh up the pro's and con's of paying 65p surcharge or delivery.
  • scrouge
    scrouge Posts: 114 Forumite
    Also BEWARE of goods that seem really cheap on BUY IT NOW....
    Many add a ridiculous amount for P&P..
    I almost bought a SKY box for £50 which was reasonable.. then spotted P&P at £49.99 !!!!!!

Obviously they have less commission to pay to EBAY by keeping the goods cheap. They make all their profit in the P&P..
    Why rip people off??
    What goes around... comes around...
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    Scrouge... sometimes it's worth looking where you're buying it from... I've noticed a lot of international sellers do that, but on the good side, if it's an international seller then you're going to save on the duty.
  • soolin
    If people want to charge excessive post and packing then let them, no one is forcing us to bid on their auctions. In fact, maybe we should all start to ignore any auctions where the P and P is excessive, that should ensure that sellers would have to amend their practice to stay in business.

Soo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure