Advice on filling in Form for DLA please

Comments

• Many thanks to all for the advice. It's given me a few options of resources for help. Very grateful.
    I must go, I have lives to ruin and hearts to break :D
    My attitude depends on my Latitude 49° 55' 0" N 6° 19' 60 W
  • mikewebs
    mikewebs Posts: 538 Forumite
    As an aside, could I suggest you get hold of the book 'Coping with Pain' by Neville Shone - it is really good and makes you realise that depression etc are normal parts of chronic pain and should not be treated lightly. Also ask your doctor if you can be referred to a local Chronic Pain Management group - I went and got so much out of it - I realised that I wasn't going mad and it made me look how pain affects me and my family and, more importantly, what I could do to take control of the pain! Honestly, it really makes a huge difference to how you deal with life!
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • When I had to fill one out for the missus I took it to the CAB & they filled it in for me as I didn't have a clue what to do with it. Those people are stars.
    Winnings :D
    01/12/07 Baileys Cocktail Shaker

My other signature is in English.
  • I volunteer at the CAB and have helped client fill out these forms. I usually can see the questions in a way that the client hasn't thought of. The form is really hypothetical and needs to be filled out in such way. You need to fill out the worst days you have. The cooking test is the major one and is based on the preparation of food, whether you can manage to cook a meal i.e cutting veg, lifting heavy pans. Are you at risk of falling /passing out whilst stood up for long periods and you can relate this to cooking.

When it asks about night time care, are you at risk of falling whilst going to the toilet. You really need to think about the worst case scenarios
  • Just remembered something, when I got my form I whizzed through it and in each section they suggest examples, i.e walking, they would say can not walk/in pain when walking/will only walk so far etc etc,

anyway, I just went thorught the entire form and circled the example that related to my son, then I took my time to fill each section in. I have no physical problems and I took the fulltime allowed to ensure I didn't rush and so I could add to bits. I prefered the paper version as I could just add snipets when I remembered.

Yes it's horrible being negative when we strive to be postitive whatever our problems, but it's a means to an end.

My son isn't diagnosed with Autistic spectrum disorder because I refused to allow it at such a young age (5), but they recognised it at 3, he gets all the care he needs anyway as we live in a small town, he has been held back a year from starting school and attends a special school part time and he is improving (not that I told the dla that!)

My other son has global delay and is asthmatic so i'm applying for him too. Actually I find him harder to deal with then the one with suspected ASD?

I wish you all the best, do let us know how you get on. :A
    Payment a day challenge: £236.69
    Jan Shopping Challenge: £202.09/£250
    Frugal Living Challenge: £534.64/15000
  • I successfully applied for DLA - first time around. Here is a LINK which was by far THE most useful resource in giving added information on the way in which to approach this.
    http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/dmakers/default.asp
    Good Luck!
  • What a wonderful resource site. Thank you so much!
    I must go, I have lives to ruin and hearts to break :D
    My attitude depends on my Latitude 49° 55' 0" N 6° 19' 60 W
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    As we got a settlement last week and fighting to have it fully backdated we also had to contact tax office for tax credits. If you do get it you may be entitled to a lower band in council tax, and even a free bus pass (our council provides that) and or not have to pay for road tax if on higher rate as long as the car is used for the person who is entitled to mobility at higher rate or use the dla for a mobility car/scooter assuming you get the higher rate.
  • Hi there Poppycat!
    You mention TAX CREDITS in your last post. Perhaps you can then answer something relating to my own claim. I know that DLA is not considered to be income for tax purposes. However, are the TAX CREDITS folk interested in this, do you know? In other words, does this award count as income in respect of how much child tax credit I'm awarded? I had assumed it was discounted on all counts.
  • shazrobo
    shazrobo Posts: 3,313 Forumite
    James123 wrote: »
    Hi there Poppycat!
    You mention TAX CREDITS in your last post. Perhaps you can then answer something relating to my own claim. I know that DLA is not considered to be income for tax purposes. However, are the TAX CREDITS folk interested in this, do you know? In other words, does this award count as income in respect of how much child tax credit I'm awarded? I had assumed it was discounted on all counts.
    if you are claiming child tax credits, tell them about the childs dla, and they give you extra money, on my ctc form it was worded along the lines of disability premium and severe disability premium, so you get extra tax credits.
    if its for yourself, again tell them about the dla, and again you get disability tax credits on top of working tax credit
    enjoy life, we only get one chance at it:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure