NEW MOT checks on number plates

Wig
Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
STOP PRESS:
There has been an almighty legal gaff somewhere, all MOT stations have been informed not to fail any more number plates since 17th November until further notice. Something about not having the new MOT regs ratified by parliament. If you have had an MOT failure solely down to numberplates - since Oct 1st - you could possibly reclaim your costs. Not sure who you can claim against, the MOT tester (it wasn't their fault) or VOSA directly (it was their fault).

Before you MOT your car, make sure you are aware of the requirements for Number plates.

For cars registered after Sept 1st 2001 Your plate must have

* The new font (79mm high) there are a few excepions motorbikes and some imported cars.

* The name and postcode of the plate supplier

* It must say "BS AU 145d" on it bottom right corner (not neccessarily bottom right but that's where it usually is) - It must also have next to this a small company name or logo (it is the name of the manufacturer of the plate) There are many different types,
mine say HHSP BS AU 145d. The HHSP bit is the manufacturer.
Other examples
"Gould BS AU 145d"
"UP
BS AU 145d" etc etc etc

* For the new longer plates with a space on the left for the EU flag symbol, the space can be blank but it must not have anything else there except 1 of the following:
Union flag (commonly known as the Union Jack)
Scottish flag (saltaire)
English flag (george cross)
Welsh flag (dragon)
Euro union flag and "GB" symbol

Any other symbol in that space will fail the MOT, the letters must be black on a yellow (reflective) background for the rear...some plates have a large ford logo on the background (for show use only) this will fail MOT.

Some Halfords plates have the halfords details and BSAU145d written in white text on the front white plates, as long as it can be seen and read it should pass.

Cars registered from 1973 - 2001 can have either old style plates with no BSAU 145d mark & 89mm high font, or newly issued plates which must be as described above with new font.

Cars before 1973 can have those very old style plates or new style i.e a choice of 3 styles.

Comments

• Christa1
    Christa1 Posts: 286 Forumite
    The fact is I don't think if people know this they care. I have seen some incredibly dodgy number plates, I don't know if the police ever pull anyone over this. A car passed me the other day with an obviously invalid plate, yet the police car in front of me didn't go shooting off after him. I think despite this people will still continue with the illegal plates and run the risk. Many people put the 'correct' plates back on for MOT's anyway.
  • I'm sure many people know the regulations Wig, and ignore them because they know the plods don't give a toss and they can just fit legal plates for the MOT and then revert back to the vanity/!!!!!! plates.
  • Wig
    My post is not aimed at the !!!!!! who swap plates for an MOT. It is aimed at all the people who THINK they have a correct plate on their car but DON'T.

And all those who have slightly twatty plates who have never had an MOT failure by leaving the plate on the car for the MOT - the MOT checks have now changed to include the number plate is complying with BSAU 145d.

People with new cars less than 3 yrs old are failing on the number plates because they do not comply. If anyone has any sense they will check their plates comply before having an MOT done.
  • Wig
    Al_Mac wrote: »
    If you buy a new car, why would you check the plates? I'd assume it was valid.

Exactly my point, people assume just because they have had a new car from new that their plates are valid.

"family fortunes error sound"

Not so, you had all better check your plates conform to the new rules if your car was first registered on or after 1st September 2001.
  • exel1966
    exel1966 Posts: 4,978
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Why should the police give a toss ? They should be catching criminals, not those who have a letter a couple of inches too small on a number plate or a letter not far enough apart from another.

The Govt (DVLA) sell personalised number plates making millions per year for the coffers. They even increase the prices for those registrations which have letters/numbers which could be miscontrued as something else. Then they tell us its illegal to do that !!! Another way to rip the motorist off and then persecute/prosecute them !!

This is the kind of bureaucratic nonsense that is driving this country to the wall along with barmy Health ? and Safety ? Regulations and the need to be overly politically correct in case some minority might be offended.

PS. My number plate is the bog standard regular which came with the car when new. If it's not legal then maybe I should sue the dealer for selling me an unroadworthy/illegal car ?
  • Wig
    No, I'm saying some cars were sold to customers with illegal plates. It has only become an issue now because only from October 1st 2007 it has become part of the MOT test to check the plates comply with BSAU 145d (which has been in force since sept 1st 2001.)
  • Wig
    exel1966 wrote: »
    PS. My number plate is the bog standard regular which came with the car when new. If it's not legal then maybe I should sue the dealer for selling me an unroadworthy/illegal car ?

It would be wise to check it before an MOT, and if it's not correct, then maybe you should tell the dealer to correct the fault, but doing it before an MOT would be better than wiating until it fails.
  • Inactive
    Inactive Posts: 14,509 Forumite
    The whole MOT has become a farce, it was OK when it was about safety, now it is just another ploy to get cars off of our increasingly overcrowded roads, which never seem to get upgraded.:rolleyes:
  • movilogo
    movilogo Posts: 3,186
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Forumite
    My car's number plate doesn't feature these new symbols!

But mine is a 2006 model. That means till 2009 (its first MOT), I don't need to bother about it. Right?

People aren't expected to know this until they go for MOT.
    Happiness is buying an item and then not checking its price after a month to discover it was reduced further.
  • Wig
    movilogo wrote: »
    My car's number plate doesn't feature these new symbols!

But mine is a 2006 model. That means till 2009 (its first MOT), I don't need to bother about it. Right?

People aren't expected to know this until they go for MOT.

Your plate is likely to be accurate in all respects but does it have these two things?

1. The suppliers name and postcode usually a car dealers name on a new car.
    2. It must say "BS AU 145d" And next to this the name of the manufacturer (of the plate see OP) somewhere, usually bottom right.

Your best course of action depends who sold you the car,
    Bought new? Yes - go and complain, now.

Bought used from a car retailer, go and complain - now.

Bought at auction or bought privately, sometime between now and 3 years old get your plates changed.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure