Water meter leak - who pays?

My house has a water meter. It has never been in use since we have lived here. The previous people reverted back to normal bills. However, we have noticed a leak coming from the meter itself. I have BritishGas homecare and they came out today. He said that he can not touch the meter, the leak is definately coming from there and he said it should be free but I want to make sure. I have the water pipe coming into my property, then the meter, then the stopcock, so if it were the pipe itself it would be my responsibility, but as it is the meter I am unsure.

Anyone ? :confused:

Comments

• Hi,

I believe that if the water is leaking from your side of the meter, then it is your responsibility. If the leak is from the other side of the meter (ie, where the water goes into the meter) then it should be the water board. Be careful though - I had a leak and it cost me over £1K to fix (had to have new pipe from meter to internal stop c**k - under front garden, living room into kitchen!!!) Thames water did refund what they had charged me for the metered water, but I had to pay for the repairs.

Have the water board recently sent you a 'free three month insurance trial'? If so, you could probably be cheeky and claim on that - if not, check your house insurance - mine wouldn't pay out though.

Also, they may want you to start using the meter if its there - I was under the impression that if you moved into a house which had a meter, you had to use it - even if you or the previous owners didn't - this could just be thames water though?
    C Card £5218.68 (Feb 2011)
    £2 coins (No 085) - £190
    Mort overpayments 2011 - £418.06
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Nutty_Tart wrote: »
    Hi,

Also, they may want you to start using the meter if its there - I was under the impression that if you moved into a house which had a meter, you had to use it - even if you or the previous owners didn't - this could just be thames water though?

You are quite correct that all water companies can insist(and apparently should insist) on a meter be fitted on change of occupant - or in the case of the OP the existing meter taken into use.

However some don't enforce that regulation.
  • moonrakerz
    moonrakerz Posts: 8,650 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    If it is the meter itself leaking, or the connections on the meter, regardless of which side, it is the water company's problem. It is their meter and they installed it !
    If it is the pipe on the house side of the meter that is leaking, it is your problem.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    If the actuall meter is leaking its the water co's problem, you say its an internal meter, sometimes they just need the connections nipping up , dont see why the BG man couldnt touch it, he is allowed to , but not allowed to remove it.
  • M22saver
    M22saver Posts: 30 Forumite
    I am going through a similar thing at the moment (although mine is more complex as I live in a flat - the pipe crosses common land and nobody knows where exactly the pipe route is from outside meter to internal stop tap!!)

I'd say rest easy - as long as the water co can identify the leak (you say that someone has agreed the leak is on the meter itself) - then I would be very confident of them repairing it under their 'free repair scheme' - most water companies do this for domestic customers.

Certainly is one of the most unfortunate things that can happen to a homeowner as the pipe lays underground, you can't see it, maintain it, access it etc. Godo luck to you - I hope you have it resolved soon!!
  • Purdy_1
    Purdy_1 Posts: 756 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies. It is all sorted now - phew!

Apparently it was not a meter, but a budgeting box thing, and it was leaking from there. When the water man came and took it off he said inside was very loose. The box was from 1993, we moved in during 1999.

BG man did have a look to see if he could fix the problem but could not mess with it as it said it would automatically shut off my water supply if it was tampered with.

I have now taken up the insurance for this type of thing happening again. I do not want to get caught out again and end up with a hefty bill because my homecare insurance does not cover the pipe from the stopcock to the boundary of my house.
  • Paul_Varjak
    Paul_Varjak Posts: 4,627 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Purdy_1 wrote: »
    I have now taken up the insurance for this type of thing happening again. I do not want to get caught out again and end up with a hefty bill because my homecare insurance does not cover the pipe from the stopcock to the boundary of my house.

For those who actually have a working meter, check that you house policy covers you for water charges that may be incurred by a water leak!
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I had a burst pipe underground in the drive between meter and house and Three Valleys water fixed it free of charge and gave a credit to cover the meter use. It was quite scary watching it wizz round before I shut the supply off:eek:
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure