DFW Running Club

Hi All....

I would like to restart the DFW Running club.
Essentially, open to one and all, from those thinking about it, to those who are preparing for races.

Running is cheap, and good for you, and fits in well with all the other good things people do on here.

If you have been thinking about it, let us know, and strap on those dusty old trainers. With a bit of DFW encouragement it's amazing how quickly you will improve.
Sealed Pot Challenge 2013: No 1898

Target 2013... Half Marathon under 2 Hrs:cool:

Run 2013 VLM in PB: -4:28.26

Comments

• ok,
    just to get started, today ran about 6 km
    Went a strange route, through a forest, and loads of hills, but enjoyed it as it was a nice easy run, after a week lay off.

Anyone else running tonight.?:T

• As per my sign-in name, I have had quite a bit of running experience and will help you guys out if you wish (although now in my 64th year and carrying a long-standing achilles heel problem right now).

I was rubbish at all sports when in school and left at age 16. I did no sports whatsoever for some 16 years but saw the 1981 London marathon which inspired me to go jogging. I went on to complete 32 full marathons (including 14 London marathons), about 150 half marathons plus many thousands of training runs and races over other distances.

The first thing I would suggest is to regularly look at the Runner's World website, exploring the many parts of it for inspiration and information. I would also recommend signing into the terrific forum there where you will find runners of all levels who will be very keen to help. The link is here: http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/

Look for recommendations as to running shoes within the website and look out for them in the sales in January. Online retailers such as
    http://www.bournesports.com/ and http://www.startfitness.co.uk/ are good places to buy, with some decent prices on previous year's models, are recommended by me. However, you may want to try and find a running shoes supplier in your area who can tell you what type of runner you are or you could check here: http://www.runningshoesguru.com/2009/03/a-simple-test-to-determine-your-foot-type-neutral-pronator-supinator/.

I wish you all the best of luck and will offer advice if/when I can. I will answer PM's if sent.
  • Hi I will join although won't have the op to do a run until Sat - crazy busy all the time at the moment, but am missing running a lot!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • I'm subscribing!!

I got into running quite a lot last year but this year has been tricky for a few reasons.

I do run 2.6k last night at the gym but want to get back into the outdoors running. I do struggle with shin splints so need to build it up slowly
    Santander 0% £1,529.94
    Sainsbury's 0% £4,371.31
    Total 0% £5,901.25
    AIM: Pay off debt & simultaneously save for deposit to buy a house by Oct 2020.
    Mar Challenge: Stay within groceries & eating out budget.
  • Welcome Marathon Man.
    Plenty of experience there.
    I hope we can attract some beginners and help others to get into it!

• Running has been a great release from work pressures for me, over the years. Good luck to all !
  • Welcome Determined, and London Girl.
    Let us know how it goes.

No run for me today

Planning 10k tomorrow evening

• London Girl

Shin splints can horrible, but if you can increase your distance / time really slowly you should get past it. By running 3-4 times a week, with good stretches it should ease off.

• Hey can I join!

I'm quite an experienced off road runner I suppose. Didn't start till I was 30 to lose weight after having kids but since then done hill races, mountain marathons and even ultramarathons. I'm 35 now and this past 5 years has been a struggle financially but runnings pretty cheap as hobbies go and its kept me sane.
    I do struggle with motivation though as my husbands away a lot, I have 3 kids and I run my own little business which is outdoorsy so i'm not always in the mood/ have time for running.:o
  • ummm . . . can this wimp think about it. I am technically (OK, financially) a paid-up member of a running club, although I'm more of a social member at this stage (pub quiz, friendships, etc.). The real truth is . . . I don't actually enjoy the running and I'm in that awful cycle of I don't enjoy it, so I don't go all that often, so I don't improve my fitness, so I can't keep up, so I don't enjoy it, so I don't go . . .

I'll just have to go back to couch to 5K and go from there. Fingers crossed - its not going to be pretty.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure