underlay for laminate flooring ?

Hi There

I'm going to lay some laminate flooring on a concrete floor ( which has carpet + underlay on it already ) , just wondered what sort of underlay to get - i've seen polystrene foam with a silver foil top in homebase for £20 per 10m2 and also polythene sheets for slightly less and also wood fibre boards but this it more expensive , will the polystrene foam do the job ? the floor is pretty flat so no worries there

Any help will be appreciated as I'm heading to homebase this week

thank you

Comments

• brayleyboy
    brayleyboy Posts: 17 Forumite
    I've just put laminate down this weekend in my living room.

I'm no expert, but have done a fair bit of research int the subject!

I believe the most important thing (if laying on concrete) is to make sure you have a damp proof membrane down. This can either be laid seperately with underlay on top, or you can get underlay with it built in. I used combilay which is about 18 quid for 10m2 from b&Q and it has worket a treat (it has DPM included)

Just checking, but you are intending on removing the carpet and underlay first?

I've also used the fibre boards in my bedroom and they are good as well (slightly firmer), but you would need to lay a DPM below them.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Fibre boards are best for reducing sound.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Strangled
    Strangled Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post
    Unless its a new concrete floor, no need for a DPM, and the polystyrene sheet is fine.....but, if its within your budget, buy the Quickstep underlay..its thicker. The soundproofing boards are great for upstairs,but not a neccesity for ground floors.
  • zackkilmer
    zackkilmer Posts: 114 Forumite
    Hi there

thanks for the quick replies . I am intending on removing carpet + carpet underlay and no , its not a new floor , will pop into b & q and look at underlay's there too , especially the quickstep one , thx
  • gardnt1
    gardnt1 Posts: 357 Forumite
    All Concrete floors, whether old or new should have an underlay which either uses its own moisture barrier (silver or gold) or has a plastic DPM laid and then normal underlay. This is to protect the laminate and to ensure the guarantee.

The BEST underlay (and as a fitter i can speak from own personal experience) Is one made by timbermate called EXCell Gold. It was stocked by Floors to go until they replaced with another make which is ok, but not as user friendly IMO, and also very expensive.

sometimes there is an ebayer carpet shop who sells this in 10m2 rolls for around £30 delivered via parcelforce48 but not sure if they are still about.

Another make which ultimately is still made by timbermate or at least an associated company is Treadair Boardwalk 2. This not only ahs the built in moisture barrier (as excell gold) but offers good insulation properties.

Locally in Birmingham, you can get 15 sq m for approx £35 trade.

These are the best and far far superior to the polystyrene ones at B&Q etc...

The quckstep muti and combi floor underlays are ok and easy to use although not very thick, so always best if possible to use treadaire. I even advise customers to use this upstairs regardless of dpm as its that good!

try this for more info

http://www.tradepriced.co.uk/laminate_accessories.html
  • suntacasa
    suntacasa Posts: 7 Forumite
    gardnt1 wrote: »
    All Concrete floors, whether old or new should have an underlay which either uses its own moisture barrier (silver or gold) or has a plastic DPM laid and then normal underlay. This is to protect the laminate and to ensure the guarantee.

Does the above applies to wooden floors in bedrooms?
    Which is the best underlay for wooden floors?
  • ajtrader100
    ajtrader100 Posts: 319 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Good for wooden floors is a 4mm fibreboard pad, reduces sound in the room and other rooms around/under it. Most retailers supplu this type of underlay.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure