Sky charging when phone line not connected

Has anyone heard of Sky (customers using Sky+) charging the full subscription rate when an active phone line is not connected?

Have heard from a few colleagues that they are starting to get bills through for the full Sky subscritpiton per month when an phone line is not connected (ie movies, sports, mutiroom when they do not have these packages - some guys have to pay up to £132 per month until phone line reconnected). Apparently it's in the terms and conditions as Sky then can't provide the full service if no phone line.

I haven't had my phone line connected for a few months now as I didnt want the tempatation of box office. And I thought they were maybe using it to observe what and when I was watching TV.

Comments

• jamespir
    jamespir Posts: 21,456 Forumite
    rubyrara wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of Sky (customers using Sky+) charging the full subscription rate when an active phone line is not connected?

Have heard from a few colleagues that they are starting to get bills through for the full Sky subscritpiton per month when an phone line is not connected (ie movies, sports, mutiroom when they do not have these packages - some guys have to pay up to £132 per month until phone line reconnected). Apparently it's in the terms and conditions as Sky then can't provide the full service if no phone line.

I haven't had my phone line connected for a few months now as I didnt want the tempatation of box office. And I thought they were maybe using it to observe what and when I was watching TV.
    sorry but thats complete tosh the highest price you can pay is 82 pounds what they usually do is charge you 25 quid once
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Yes, contractually you need to have the box connected to your phone line for the first 12m of your contract. However Sky do not enforce this policy unless you have Multiroom, in which case the line must be permanently connected in order to allow the boxes to make the callbacks.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • mrs2fat
    mrs2fat Posts: 177 Forumite
    hope someone here can help me.
    ive had sky for over 8 years and ive never ha a phone line plugged in.
    ive had multi room for about 3 of those. the last 2 months sky have charged me an extra £41.65 per month for not having the phone line plugged in.
    we moved house in april so an engineer was here then, never mentioned the phone line at all, and he saw we had the 2 boxes in our house as he reconnected them.
    sky are telling me they have to send an engineer to come round to install the phone lines, to get the proof (which theyve already got) before i can get my 83.30 refund, but the engineer visit will cost me about 62 quid.

i am losing my rag with them on the phone at the moment, any ideas?
    my 'u' btton is broked :rolleyes:
  • Cypherite
    Cypherite Posts: 124 Forumite
    mrs2fat wrote: »
    hope someone here can help me.
    ive had sky for over 8 years and ive never ha a phone line plugged in.
    ive had multi room for about 3 of those. the last 2 months sky have charged me an extra £41.65 per month for not having the phone line plugged in.
    we moved house in april so an engineer was here then, never mentioned the phone line at all, and he saw we had the 2 boxes in our house as he reconnected them.
    sky are telling me they have to send an engineer to come round to install the phone lines, to get the proof (which theyve already got) before i can get my 83.30 refund, but the engineer visit will cost me about 62 quid.

i am losing my rag with them on the phone at the moment, any ideas?
    I'd write a complaint as that isn't right. When the boxes were reconnected the Sky engineer should have installed a phone point if there wasn't one. This is what happened when we had more boxes installed. If he didn't do that on the first visit, and they have to send an engineer again, then it should be at their expense and not yours.

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/complaints-code
  • mrs2fat
    mrs2fat Posts: 177 Forumite
    thanks, email has been sent.
    i could maybe understand if i hadnt seen anyone from sky in years, but seeing as an engineer was here in april and it wasnt done by him, why should i pay?
    my 'u' btton is broked :rolleyes:
  • macman
    Why don't you just plug your own boxes in-you don't need an engineer to do that, just use a trailing extension cable.
  • When we had Sky once the engineer tried connecting it to the (dreadful quality) phone line and in the end left it unplugged as it didn't work.

About 5 years after we cancelled the whole thing (yes, really) I was pursued by a debt collection agency for £75 for not having it connected to the phone line. However I'd modified the contract when I returned it, striking those parts through and adding a covering note, so I told them where to go and the letters stopped in the end.

However on a technicality, the requirement was for the box to be connected to the phone line. Even if it were, it would not have been able to make callouts, because the phone line was in use 24/7 on an unlimited dial up internet package and so was permenantly engaged.

So playing devil's advocate there's a difference between the box being connected to the phone line, and the box being able to make those callouts and perhaps the customer can invite Sky round to demonstrate the box is indeed connected to the phone line regardless of whether they see the callbacks at their end.
  • HiTo
    HiTo Posts: 106 Forumite
    I recently moved, sky didn't install phone line in new house, I don't have multi room.
  • macman
    Sky engineers don't install phone lines, that is done by BT Openreach.
  • tango
    tango Posts: 13,110 Forumite
    been charged this extra in last two months,I have multiroom and was told its in the small print ? They will refund when we connect each box to a phone line...
    Obstacles are things a person sees when he takes his eyes off his goal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure