Best permanent hair dye for covering grey roots on dark brown hair

Hi, trying to save money, by using a home hair colour. What's the best permenant dye for covering grey roots on dark brown hair? Got my hair dyed at hairdressers, they used a tint on my roots and semi on my ends,the roots started to show after 2 weeks! Too young to go grey gracefully! Would value any advice.:)

Comments

• poppy_f1
    poppy_f1 Posts: 2,637 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    i use garnier natrisse
    only mix up half the mixure do my roots, then repeat 4 weeks later

also i generally buy 2 dyes at a time when they are on offer
  • glowgirl_2
    glowgirl_2 Posts: 4,591 Forumite
    I find Nice n Easy lasts the longest on greys, I do my roots every 4 or 5 weeks but could probably get away with 6 weeks, Nice n Easy comes out darker than on the package, I have med/dark brown hair and use Light Ash Brown, choose a colour with the word ash in it if you dont want red tones, I like this product because every time you use it it comes out the same colour:D.
    Thank you for this site Martin
    The time for change has come
    Good luck for the future
  • I use nice n easy too! I have very dark brown hair, and I find this gives the longest lasting coverage.
    :DYummy mummy, runner, baker and procrastinator :p
  • Sublime_2
    Sublime_2 Posts: 15,741 Forumite
    I've had the odd one since I was 19!

Boots Botanics, Chocolate works well for me. It's very dark, which I quite like.
  • geminilady
    geminilady Posts: 1,922 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I also use nice and easy the price is good and it covers well.I found boots own did not cover my grey.
  • buyitall
    buyitall Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I use the nice n easy root touch up dye, which comes with a brush for doing roots.
  • Hi all, Thanks for all the replies, think I will try Nice'n' Easy, a lot cheaper than the hairdresser!!:)
  • monruth
    monruth Posts: 42 Forumite
    My hairdresser has chosen to change the permanent hair dye she uses on my grey (natural colour dark brown) hair. She used to use L'oreal and now uses Osmo Ikon. I have noticed that more hair is falling out and my hair has become much more dry since she changed and asked her to revert back to L'oreal but she refused stating that Osmo Ikon is better.
    I think she changed because Osmo Ikon is cheaper than L'oreal which I saw on hairdressing supplier websites.
    However, I need proof and facts to show her. Who can give me honest and accurate information as to which is the better product.
    Thanks
  • monruth wrote: »
    My hairdresser has chosen to change the permanent hair dye she uses on my grey (natural colour dark brown) hair. She used to use L'oreal and now uses Osmo Ikon. I have noticed that more hair is falling out and my hair has become much more dry since she changed and asked her to revert back to L'oreal but she refused stating that Osmo Ikon is better.
    I think she changed because Osmo Ikon is cheaper than L'oreal which I saw on hairdressing supplier websites.
    However, I need proof and facts to show her. Who can give me honest and accurate information as to which is the better product.
    Thanks

I wouldn't stay with a hairdresser who refused what I, the customer, wanted. I don't think you have to do the research to prove to her that you're in the right - just change to a salon that will be happy to do you as you want!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hi Monruth - Material girl is right, if your hairdresser cannot or will not use the product that suits you then go elswhere. Many years ago (I'm an ex-hairdresser) one of my customers used to go to a different hairdresser for her 'perm' because my shop didn't use the particular brand that suited her hair - but she always came back to me for her cuts & colour. Result - one happy customer & thats what it should be about
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure