Dog Racing 1p Meal Deal

Comments

• lisyloo wrote: »
    I'm an animal lover and we do financially support a greyhound rescue charity.
    However I'm also pretty sure that if racing was abandoned by lots of people that there would be more abandoned and mistreated dogs from SOME of the owners.

So whilst I love dogs and don't like cruelty, I'm not convinced that putting the industry out of business would help.
    Short term it would make things massively worse.

Got a feeling they might stop breeding so many if that was the case and so long term it would result in an end to this barbaric practise.
    Alternatively just let it continue to avoid a short term problem, erm :rolleyes:
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    I feel I have to reply to this. I am very against greyhound racing, think about Seaham and what happened there :( We have a rescue greyhound and I know I did the right thing in adopting her. I totally agree with trumann sparks, I would GLADLY see an end to greyhound racing.
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,583
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Alternatively just let it continue to avoid a short term prob{

No that wasn't what I meant.

I'm not an expert and perhaps others know more than me, but I'm not convinced that the whole sport is bad.
    There are clearly some bad elements and bad practices, but similarly there are some owners who treat their animals very well.

We don't ban all driving because 3000 people are killed on the roads every year., although when you think about it 3000 deaths is absolutely appauling, but we don't ban the whole thing because there are ome bad drivers about.

I guess this comes down to whether you believe the whole sport is bad and poor treatment is endemic or whether you believe there are some rogue elements.
  • Tarry
    Tarry Posts: 11,195 Forumite
    I've yet to hear off someone who racers their greys who treats them well, and you can't dismiss the overbreeding of them can you? I don't think personally that anyone should take up this offer, why support something that is cruel?
    The Very Right Honourable Lady Tarry of the Alphabetty thread
    -I just love finding bargains and saving money
    I love to travel as much as I can when I can
    Life has a way to test you, it's how you deal with this that matters
  • It is not the practice of dog racing that should be banned but the cleaning up and management of the people who own/race the dogs.

If people wish to post a link to an offer that is legal and does not promote offence to other members (you do not have to open the link and can pass the post by) then people should not be pushing for a post to be removed.

This is a site for people to save money not for people to say where people are going or what they are doing.:mad:

• LesD wrote: »

However, I still feel it was a sermon and and needs to be moved elsewhere.

Its not a sermon Les, it's my opinion based on 15 years involvement in greyhound rescue.

Some people (like the OP) have no idea what cruelty & neglect is involved in this industry. Tracks are keen to give the impression that all the ex-racers are found loving homes and sadly this isnt the case!

It's up to individuals what they do, but I think you'll find most animal lovers will give this "deal" a miss once they know what goes on behind the scenes.
    "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again."

Stephen Grellet, (1773-1855).
  • Tomtom07 wrote: »
    As I do not go to dog racing the info given I didn't know, if anyone else feels strongly about this,let me know and I will get this thread deleted.

Don't worry Tomtom, I'm not asking for the thread to be removed.
    It's up to individuals what they do. Just stating my opinion on this industry. ;)
    "I expect to pass through this world but once. Any good, therefore, that I can do or any kindness I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now. Let me not defer or neglect it for I shall not pass this way again."

• In essence i dont have a problem with dog racing and yes im sure that many dogs are well looked after while they race, others wont be.

As identified above the problem is what happens when they are not needed anymore, these arnt dog lovers that breed and race them. its a business and they are an asset when they are winning and a drain when not.

So the dogs are abandoned, killed etc.

Its a business, and the dogs once no longer earning are given no more consideration than you or i do to the rubbish from our bins.

If the industry could provide a solution of its own for looking after the thousands of dogs it produces i wouldent have a lot to argue about.
    But they dont nor can do because their business wouldnot be viable if they did.
    sadly the dogs you watch win on your night out could be being disposed of the following month in a farmers field.

its up to you?

As far as the grabbit Argument ian,
    I think debate is good and brow beating that we should keep morals from the board is dangerous. It says to me "do what you want to save money, regardless of what suffering it may cause". not disimilar to the industry and people we are discussing really is it?
  • It is not the practice of dog racing that should be banned but the cleaning up and management of the people who own/race the dogs.

If people wish to post a link to an offer that is legal and does not promote offence to other members (you do not have to open the link and can pass the post by) then people should not be pushing for a post to be removed.

This is a site for people to save money not for people to say where people are going or what they are doing.:mad:

I dont think anyone is pushing for the original post to be removed?

Only one person asking for my opinions to be removed?

• They distort the truth, with pictures more than 30 years old and not even from the UK. Even the story they push about David Smith from Seaham is distorted, he was putting to sleep domestic animals for the police and local authority - no mention of that though is there...

...Muttley is exactly what he calls her/himself - a muppet:T

David Smith was just one of many greyhound racing individuals who will shoot an ex-racing dog for a tenner and bury it in a pit in a field. I don't think most normal people would regard this as "putting a dog to sleep!" The guy was prosecuted. I am shocked that you are defending such behaviour?:shocked:
    Full story here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article688422.ece?token=null&offset=0

In 2004, another greyhound called "Rusty" was found by a dog walker in South Wales, his ears had been cut off & he had been shot in the head with a captive bolt gun. He was still alive and was later put to sleep by a vet as his injuries were so severe. A racing man had been paid a tenner to kill Rusty and later spent 3 months in prison. He admitted he had killed many other greyhounds in the same way.

Another Oxford greyhound trainer was found to have a mass grave of greyhounds (with head injuries) at his property.

Hardly 30 years ago was it and definately all in the UK? Next you'll be saying that these rescues are deliberately starving & injuring dogs just to discredit greyhound racing!! :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm sure you'll be very at home at your local dog track! Have fun & enjoy your 1p meal while you can! :rotfl:

p.s. By the way Mr "entitled to my opinion" I'm so dissapointed you were too cowardly to post under your real username and had to create a new account to make your comments! What's that all about?

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport