Tax Credits Helpline, unable to get through!

Comments

• Took 40 minutes to get through on Monday, first 20 minutes due to being repeatedly cut off. Called back, went through 5 different permutations of their "press 1 for...." each one ending with "Sorry, we cannot deal with your call right now" and then cutting me off.

Can't remember what I opted for in the end, but it wasn't the options I wanted.
  • Spent 40 minutes on the phone 3 weeks ago before being cut off. Tried to phone last week and got a recorded message telling me the phone lines were busy and then got cut off straight away! (At least I didn't have to hold for 40 mins this time!!) Finally got through last week by phoning at 8am when they opened
  • egfcomps
    egfcomps Posts: 87
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi,

I will not have my figures from the accountant until Thursday so yes leaving it late to get in I know - but instead of fighting the phone lines, would it be possible to send in form by recorded next day delivery or even just guaranteed next day delivery so no-one has to sign but we can track and ensure it is there?

I would take a copy incase of Royal Mail losing it of course!

Would appreciate it if anyone knows if this can be done.

Thanks
    egf
  • I have recently spoke to HMRC (last friday) but not because I left it until last minute, It is due to the fact I have just started working last Monday and needed to check if i had grounds for claim.
    Friday evening 5pm i was on hold for almost 40 minutes. however the guy I spoke to was more than helpful and I was off the phone after 50 minutes.
  • tamiami
    tamiami Posts: 537 Forumite
    Held for half an hour, then ran out of credit!!

It is always at least 20 minutes wait unless you call on a Saturday morning I have found.
  • I usually do my renewal by phone, but have tried many time to no avail. Where that is early in the morning, late at night, in the after noon. The only thing that I am noticing about renewing this year is the the Tax Credit Office are getting a lot of money out of my and many other peoples phone bills, as there is 5-6 minutes of useless information that I do not need before I finally get to a point where I think I am going to get through, and amazingly, there is no- answer my call. Filled in the form which would have been way cheaper in the first place.
  • I never understood why people dont just complete the form and return it. Its free, takes 2 minutes and saves the hassle of ringing. If there is no change or circs to make and you have the info required, its so simple.
    There is no 'quite time' at the moment, and the mid afternoon thing was true in June but at present, no chance at all. IMO, the best time to ring is a Saturday as its the quietest time, but still a decent wait before you are dealt with.
    No One I Think Is In My Tree.:cool:
  • jet9cat
    jet9cat Posts: 1,657 Forumite
    Just another word of advise - if you ave trouble getting through at home try from your local enquiry centre - many now located within town halls/libraries/civic centres etc.

www.hmrc.gov.uk type enquiry centre into the search box and first thing that comes up is a link to the find enquiry centre tool. Enter your town and it will show your local enquiry centre and also has a link to the spreadsheet of opening days and times. All enquiry centres have phones with speed dials through to the main contact centres including tax credits and calls are free. Go to enquiry centre with your National Insurance number and income details and you can usually renew over the phone. Only works if you can get in during the day of course but might help some.
    Every penny's a prisoner
    PADding is addictive
    MFW August 2023 - unless I get my butt into gear :D
  • I rang today and took about 20mins to get through. The advisor did give me the heads up that their lines would be open Sunday this week so may be quieter to call then. hTH
  • After countless try,s via mobile to contact these people...my daughter came to use our landline due to constantly using up her phone credit whilst on hold.On the 23/07/2012 she rang at 9.10a.m and was caller number 17 in the queue...at 11.15 she was down to number 1 only to hear "the caller at the other end has cleared".I looked up another number for the complaints manager-rangit-went through the usual menu system-then gave up after 30 minutes! We still havent managed to speak to a human as yet!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure