Hallmark Removed?

Not quite sure what to do about this problem - in fact I'm not even sure it is a problem, but I'm upset.

Basically, my partner bought me an engagement ring for Christmas. Totally unexpected, beautiful ring, on cloud nine blah blah blah. Except it was slightly too small, so had to go back to the shop to be made slightly (2 sizes) larger.

I was supposed to pick it up today, but they called and said that when they polished out the inside of the ring after making it larger, they accidently removed the hallmark. So now I have to wait an extra 10 days for it to be resent to the Assay office to be remarked.

The jeweller have totally admitted fault and the extra hallmarking is not going to cost us anything.

I'm just wondering if this has happened to anyone else? It just seems so bizarre - and of course I'm upset about having to wait another 10 days!

The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind
Getting married 19th August 2011 to a lovely, lovely man :-)

Comments

• Oh no, poor you! I'd have been gutted to have come home empty handed after expecting to collect a ring!

I suppose it's not entirely unusual - the hallmark is not stamped very far into the metal so a professional polish might rub it off? I think it is a bit 'off' that they waited for you to turn up to collect it before they told you though - not great customer service, IMO.

Ten days isn't much in the grand scheme of things - it will have to be sent away and tested, even though it has previously been hallmarked they will have to test it again. I was without my ring for two weeks for it to be resized and hallmarked - it was made to order but H2B didn't order it in time for it to be hallmarked before he proposed! I felt lost without it as had worn it (was only a little too big) for about a month before it got sent away!

It'll be back soon :D
    :heart::heart::heart: Marrying my lovely man on 1st September 2012 :heart::heart::heart:
    :love:

The right to express an opinion does not override the responsibility to show respect. :)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Why upset? In the grand scheme of things, a few days (when a million and one people are having to deal with life threatening experiences) isnt that much to ask. If youre that upset, just go and get the ring in its present state, you know its real, your fiance knows its real,
    the hall mark would be hidden anyway.

Your choice.

Sorry for being blunt but Ive had a major incident today so cant help myself........
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • NoAngel
    NoAngel Posts: 774 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    McKneff wrote: »
    Why upset? In the grand scheme of things, a few days (when a million and one people are having to deal with life threatening experiences) isnt that much to ask. If youre that upset, just go and get the ring in its present state, you know its real, your fiance knows its real,
    the hall mark would be hidden anyway.

Your choice.

Sorry for being blunt but Ive had a major incident today so cant help myself........

Bit harsh- i'm sure OP has had 'major incidents' happen to them at some point and some 'smaller incidents' such as this, it doesn't make it any less of a concern to them right now just because other people have other things to worry about.

OP- I know what you mean- when you get your ring resized you just want it back NOW! I only had to wait 2 days for the resize and it was rubbish having to wait! I think it's a bit odd that the hallmark got rubbed off, but at least it's all going to be sorted out soon enough for you :)
  • ab7167
    ab7167 Posts: 680 Forumite
    edited 16 January 2011 at 7:42AM
    The hallmark got rubbed off because when they put the extra bit in, the platinum solder flowed over the top of the hallmark, so it was polished out when they removed the solder.

It is actually more upsetting because I am dealing with a lot at the moment, and this was supposed to be something lovely and beautiful that was going right.

I can't get it back because they sent it it off to London without giving me the choice. They did call me so I didn't go into town to collect it.

The people who mind don't matter, and the people who matter don't mind
    Getting married 19th August 2011 to a lovely, lovely man :-)
  • tanyafelts
    tanyafelts Posts: 16 Forumite
    I found this thread when I was trying to find out if a Jewelers can get in a lot of trouble for removing a hallmark on a ring when they are simply resizing it down one size?

I am due to get married in a couple of weeks and as I have lost some weight and my ring was now loose I took my engagement ring in to the local jewelers where we got our wedding bands from. They had it for a week and during that week they have resized it down in ring size, but also shaved down the ring's thickness all round, flattened out the twist design on it and removed the hallmarks completely. I told them I was not happy about the state they had given me it back in, but as they are going away for two weeks now I was told with no emotion that they couldn't do anything about it as they are going away, therefore I will have to wait until they came back which leaves it two days before I need it back for the wedding day.

I went into the high street jewelers to check the damage against another ring like mine, to discover the severity of the thinning, also the colour was no longer quite right, and was advised that in order to restore it there would need to be gold added and the shape of the twisted cluster may never be fully recovered even by their maker because of the damage, they said it is highly likely to be advised to be a replacement.

I found under section 5 of the Hallmark act that they cannot remove a hallmark without permission from the assay office, and if they do they are committing an offense and as well an offense to adjust the gold weight, so can someone please advise me whether I have a case to get the jeweler who did this to pay for the other company for reversing the damages he has done or replacement if it is assessed as beyond reversible?
  • ellay864
    ellay864 Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just curious now and maybe being thick here but...if it's an offence to adjust the gold weight, but it's being reduced in size...how do you make it smaller without changing the gold weight?
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2011 at 1:23PM
    It depends how small you want to make the ring but usually the weight of the ring wont alter as the gold is just redispersed to make a slightly thicker band....in the same way that you can take a ring up a couple of sizes by "stretching" you can easily take it down too.

What I dont really understand is how changing the ring by one size needed such an extreme make over....it should have been a very simple process unless the ring was patterened in which case you should have been advised that the ring could not be resized...
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • twirlypinky
    twirlypinky Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    what does a hallmark look like? My h2b bought mine from a little local place and it was resized before he gave it too me. I know the 9k is 9 carat (good job the way i beat my jewellery up!) and the other bit i can see says "0.12:"

I've never really looked before now, and that doesn't really look like i thought a hallmark should!!
    saving up another deposit as we've lost all our equity.
    We're 29% of the way there...
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2011 at 1:37PM
    A hallmark is the stamping inside the ring and can vary in complexity but the standard one should tell you what the gold carat is and usually where and when the ring was made

something like this may appear inside the ring
    http://www.gold-traders.co.uk/hallmarks/

if the ring was made in another country other than the UK then it will bear the hallmark of that country...and sometimes its just a collection of numbers or letters that are stamped inside the ring....not every country has the level of hallmarking we do in the UK
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • twirlypinky
    twirlypinky Posts: 2,415 Forumite
    i have no little picture. I don't mind because it's the meaning behind the ring that counts, he could've proposed with a party ring and i'd have loved it. I just know that if he finds out he'll be upset.
    saving up another deposit as we've lost all our equity.
    We're 29% of the way there...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport