Meter Registration Service ???!!!

marybishop
marybishop Posts: 761 Forumite
Has anyone else had a call from a company calling themselves the 'Meter Registration Service'?

Had a call just now from someone claiming to be from the above telling me that I had just come out of a contract with my current supplier and was now paying their emergency rates which were 30 - 40% higher than what I needed to be paying! :eek:

He was very insistent that he wasn't calling on behalf of one supplier and that the MRS work for all the suppliers! No, I wasn't falling for it either! :rolleyes:

So I told him I was with EON to which he replied 'I could have told you that before you told me' - cheek! So I told him if I had any concerns I would get in touch with EON, thank you and goodbye. He slammed the phone down before I did! :mad:

Phoned EON to ask if they'd ever heard of this outfit and the lady at the other end said she hadn't but it was obviously a cold call and not a very good one at that!! :rotfl:

So beware - if they ring, tell them where to go!!!

Comments

• ClareEmily
    ClareEmily Posts: 931 Forumite
    Yes we have, over the last 3 weeks they have rung us most days, and yes they have been telling me exactly the same as what they have been you.

A bloke called Andy, most odd.

Just been on the phone with him AGAIN so did a search on google and found your post, he sounded really genuine and even put me through to his account department, keep saying that with British Gas and am happy and that we have been billed etc etc.

So glad I found your post :beer:
    Clare x
  • I have them ringing me up virtually every week, just can`t get rid off them,they harassing me, i am ill please i need help how do i stop them
  • scope
    scope Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have them ringing me up virtually every week, just can`t get rid off them,they harassing me, i am ill please i need help how do i stop them

Dont answer the phone? :rolleyes: The number is most likely withheld, so ignore any withheld numbers... (assuming your phone is displaying the number of the incoming call)
  • Glad I found your post, it reassured me that my instincts were correct! We have just moved to new premises at work and keep being pestered by this company. It is always Andy and he was extremely rude when I refused to give him the Landlord's details.
    I can find little other trace of this company - . All I do know is that they are based in Manchester, a private company and no address given. Not sure if it a scam, but be very wary!!:eek:
  • duckwing
    duckwing Posts: 6 Forumite
    Just had a call from this co. saying that they were going to fit a new meter on 1st August when I asked why he said the 5th digit was going to fast on our meter so we would be paying too much then he asked about our contract. We have never had one so he then wanted to set one up. I said he would have to speak to my husband. I also said I though the meter belonged to our supplier E on the meter is marked property of Norweb who Eon took over. Think there is something fishy, going to ring Eon tomorrow in meantime can any one tell me if this is just a cold call or what?
  • got a letter back from ombudsman who cannot help me because we are a business!! - but in the meantime had another call from man wanting to SORT out this problem asked for my meter reading which I declined as it turned out he was from Meter Registration - I then called Eon who said they had had a man on who did not disclose he was from Meter Registration and wanted to talk about our account - which I undersand is against the law as he is working for another company - I told eon not to talk to anyone other than myself and that we did not want to move to N POWER I have heard nothing for one week so fingers crossed - what a hassle dont be duped beware !!!!!!!
    We have just opened a new business and received call from Meter Registration ( I thought they were an officiaol electricity body) that which they conveniently forgot? to mention - they are a broker who act on behalf of N Power they then ask for your meter number and reading and tell you they will get back to you with the best Deal for your business.

We they did come back to me and told me NPower was the best for me
    I still was unaware they were acting on behalf of N Power and why pretend to search their data base for the best deal when the only one they were going to offer me was N Power - N Power then ring and sign you up for a contract (still I was unsuspecting) that this was not the best deal for me they then send a letter saying we have received your completed contract (which I had not even received let alone filled in ) and should I not have a 14 day cooling off period offer)

Now NPOwer have sent me a tape of my conversation with their Telesales Advisor regarding the contract - BUT when I asked for Tape of the Original conversation with Meter Registration - well what a suprise the only tape they have is the contract discussion. I am still adamant I have been mis sold this and am contacting the Ombudsman for Electricity I suggest anyone else missold a contract do the same. Today we have also received a call from a company calling themselves Commercial Energy (Meter Registration same company??) wanting to sell us telephone services - !!!
  • marybishop
    I have them ringing me up virtually every week, just can`t get rid off them,they harassing me, i am ill please i need help how do i stop them

You can register your phone number with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS). They have a website and you just follow the instructions, it's very easy to do. It takes about 28 days to set up. Not sure it will help stop calls you're already getting but should prevent cold calls in the future.

Also wondering if it's worth reporting them to your local Trading Standards Dept or at least asking for advice. They may have heard of them and could already be investigating them.
  • marybishop
    Burghleygirl - Let us know what the Ombudsman says - perhaps they can put a stop to this mis-selling.

We've recently had people at the door from NPower and another (can't remember which now) but we always tell them we're not interested. Apparently according to Trading Standards anyone knocking at your door who you've not invited to do so is a cold caller. Our area is actually now a 'No Cold Calling' zone and as such we can report all cold callers to TS and if we can give them the company details they will then write to the company and point this fact out to them and tell them not to cold call in our area again.

I think gradually more of these areas are being set up - it's a joint venture between the Police, Trading Standards and if there is one the local Neighbourhood Watch.
  • duckwing
    duckwing Posts: 6 Forumite
    further to my previous posting I checked with EON & they know nothing about the meter change in fact they would not have said that the 5th digit was going too fast, just that it was a faulty meter, if they had said the former that would be an admission that they were overcharging me. The young man if spoke to was very good and checked further then put me through to the dept that deals with meter changes. They said that they only change meters that were faulty or old & as mine was fairly new it was not due to be changed until 2020 & there was nothing on the records to suggest it was faulty.
    I will now wait until 1st August to see if anyone comes to change it, which I doubt but if they do I will lock the door and refuse admittance.
    These people employ some underhand tricks to earn a living.
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,109 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    marybishop wrote: »
    You can register your phone number with the Telephone Preference Service (TPS). They have a website and you just follow the instructions, it's very easy to do. It takes about 28 days to set up. Not sure it will help stop calls you're already getting but should prevent cold calls in the future. .

Once you have registered with TPS, calls should stop within about a month, but more importantly, the moment you get a cold call, ask them for their name, company name, company number, address and phone number, and then tell them you are registered with TPS and don't want to talk to them. Most people are polite and apologise when you are registered with TPS, and usually say they will remove your number from their database. If they don't, you've got their details and can inform TPS about the breach. You can register mobile numbers as well as landlines, and the service is available to companies as well as residential lines.

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport