Build my credit score

2»

Comments

• JemmaWay
    JemmaWay Posts: 16 Forumite
    So how are you trying to build it back up? Have you been given some advice on that?
  • JemmaWay
    JemmaWay Posts: 16 Forumite
    Sarah do you know how the cash plus prepaid cards actually help with credit scores? Slightly confused by them because you decide the amount you put on and spend so not paying anything back?
  • Hello yeah credit expert said that the more it gets updated monthly the better it will get i find no win situation :( x
  • Hello ill tell you about my sutuation, the only thing I had credit wise is a contract 4 years still using it never missed a payment etc applied for a car Loan got declined excellent credit history then 3 months later called credit expert to get some advice they told me to get a credit card have done so my credit score has dropped to 444 they say I have 5 negotive things now because my credit limited is low £250 paid in full each month etc all the negotive things relate to this credit card so I now trying to build my score back up which think will take months :( x

Dont worry it wont take long to bounce back as the same thing happened to mewhen i upgraded my Bank Acc once it showed a month of good trading it went back to what it was pre application
  • We have just heard back from one mortgage advisor to say no they will not lend because of the ccj. They have advised to wait 3 years and we would stand a better possibility of obtaining a mortgage. We don't really want to have to do this. Can anyone give us any advice please? Is it worth getting a second opinion?
  • Tixy
    Tixy Posts: 31,455 Forumite
    Hi Jemma

You hadn't mention having a CCJ before - what is the date of your CCJ, and how much was it for?

Some people have been able to get a mortgage with a CCJ, but usually only if the CCJ is old, say 4-5years old, and even then they can only get subprime mortgages which have a higher APR and require a higher % deposit. What percentage deposit do you have saved up?

As an aside - if you have a CCJ showing on your credit file and settled defaults still showing, then depsite what score or category the credit reference agency sells to you, you will be considered by potential lenders to have a poor credit history and to be high risk.

You asked in an earlier post about how the cashplus prepaid card works in terms of your credit file - its a last resort option for someone trying to build a credit history who cannot get a subprime credit card. Effectively there is a annual fee for the card which is charged monthly, and it is this that is shown on your credit file - as a small loan of £60(?) that you are repaying over a year. What you load on the card and spend is irrelevant (providing you always have the money to pay the monthly fee).
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
    or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Hi Tixy,

The CCJ was paid and settled in Jan 2011. I have a certificate if satisfaction and it is no longer showing on my credit file. I have no defaults and my score is 989 however I know due to the lack of credit my score appears low when people search. I have heard the after a year of the ccj being satisfied you are more likely to receive some credit I.e some credit cards. I have recently had my phone bill put into my name and now pay by DD. I was also thinking of obtaining some type of store card? Also do you know much on regards to my parents being a garentor on the mortgage would that's help us progress further?

Thank you for the advice on the PP cards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport