Solar Panel Guide Discussion

Comments

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    orrery wrote: »
    No, not at all. The tricks that the utilities get up to are legion and simply not related to some audited algorithm. The issue was whether you should get your backward running meter changed quickly or rely on the utility to give you a fair deal when they come to estimate your error.

Their estimates are nowhere near as good as you seem to be implying. EDF told me that my last generation number were out of kilter from their estimates when they were pretty close to my graphing, so their algorithms don't seem to be that realistic.

However, even if I accept everything you say about algorithms and auditing - I was merely pointing out that there is much more to it than that - the utilities will, and do, find their way around the rules with absolute devious abandon (hence my illustration re: nPower). To delay reporting a backward running meter is to place yourself in a situation where the utility is unlikely to allow you to come out of it on top.

I am not an apologist for Utility companies, and don't intend to be put in that position.

I simply replied to this one liner from yourself:
    Agreed - utilities don't have a reputation for making their estimates favour the
    consumer.

Your points in other posts are probably correct - I confined my comments to that post.

Where estimates of consumption are involved their activities are controlled.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 12 October 2012 at 4:45PM
    Cardew wrote: »
    .... That is nothing to do with the audited algorithm I posted about. ....
    Hi

I understand, you're simply talking about proportioning the usage for a period usage over sub-periods ....

The issue here, however, is that the algorithm you raise is based on a known total usage which needs to balance against the total for the sub-periods and there would therefore be a pretty simply definable audit process. I would anticipate that any estimate relating to pv generation causing a meter to run backwards would be closer to that of predicting future demand, this being due to there being various unknowns, the only data available is what's been generated, the rest is guesswork based on previous usage patterns, as is the case for setting the DD or estimating a reading when the meter hasn't been read .....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • shafeeq
    shafeeq Posts: 973 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi

My Npower contract is about to end soon. If I switch providers do I need to change FiT provider or can I still keep Npower for FiT payment and use another supplier.

Thanks
    Shafeeq
  • tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

If exporting more than 50% of generation and only being paid for 50% of it -
    how would there be a benfit for the energy companies to rectify the situation ??
    .... :think:
    .... surely they're getting some energy, although very small amounts, for free

They're not really getting it for free are they? They still have to pay the FIT for all generation,but are getting some small amounts at a reduced rate

My Npower contract is about to end soon. If I switch providers do I need to
    change FiT provider or can I still keep Npower for FiT payment and use another
    supplier.

Shafeeq, Leave your FIT with npower and swap if you want,I've just moved to Scottish power and left my FITs with SSE,I've even added another system to take my total to 4kwh and it wasn't a problem with SSE even though i'm no longer with them.

Tunnel
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
  • KevinG
    KevinG Posts: 1,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    shafeeq wrote: »
    If I switch providers do I need to change FiT provider or can I still keep Npower for FiT payment and use another supplier.
    Everything I have read suggests you can stay with your existing FiT provider, so unless Npower has its own rule, I'd say leave well alone, one less thing to worry about when changing supplier.
    2kWp Solar PV - 10*200W Kioto, SMA Sunny Boy 2000HF, SSE facing, some shading in winter, 37° pitch, installed Jun-2011, inverter replaced Sep-2017 AND Feb-2022.
  • shafeeq wrote: »
    Hi

My Npower contract is about to end soon. If I switch providers do I need to change FiT provider or can I still keep Npower for FiT payment and use another supplier.

Thanks
    Shafeeq

I don't know what tariff you're on but my Npower contract was due to end on 6th November and they have just delayed it to 26th November to coincide with their price increases which means I will get a further three weeks at the lower tariff.

May be worth checking your own tariff so that you don't switch too early.

Npower Tariff Checker
  • shafeeq
    shafeeq Posts: 973 Forumite
    I don't know what tariff you're on but my Npower contract was due to end on 6th November and they have just delayed it to 26th November to coincide with their price increases which means I will get a further three weeks at the lower tariff.

May be worth checking your own tariff so that you don't switch too early.

Npower Tariff Checker

The Green Hornet

Thank you, i had an email informing me and i was hoing to wait for the letter. Yes the tarrif I was on will be ending on 26th now, few extra days.

thanks
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    edited 15 October 2012 at 4:32AM
    I have always challenged attempts to mess about with my direct debit.
    This usually means a good natured Dutch auction amid my remarks about "if I needed somewhere safe to keep my money, I would use a bank".

I am in the process of moving from National Power back to Scottish Power "fixed" 2014 - what ever happened to the dash to cheap gas based on American "fracking" techniques - surely that should be fairly safe if done under the North Sea?

When the FiT rate changed, I thought I would leave it to the British Gas algorithm, a choice that cost me nearly 50p.
    Should I complain to Offgem ? :D
  • orrery
    orrery Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    ... amid my remarks about "if I needed somewhere safe to keep my money, I would use a bank".

Did they not point out that leaving your money with a power utility IS safer than a bank these days, and probably pays about as much interest? :rotfl:
    4kWp, Panels: 16 Hyundai HIS250MG, Inverter: SMA Sunny Boy 4000TLLocation: Bedford, Roof: South East facing, 20 degree pitch20kWh Pylontech US5000 batteries, Lux AC inverter,Skoda Enyaq iV80, TADO Central Heating control
  • grahamc2003
    grahamc2003 Posts: 1,771 Forumite
    I have always challenged attempts to mess about with my direct debit.
    This usually means a good natured Dutch auction amid my remarks about "if I needed somewhere safe to keep my money, I would use a bank".

I:D

That's quite a quaint concept. Those were the days - when banks were safe and Britain ruled the waves.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure