claim back purchase tax from Canada

Please could anyone advise me on how to claim back the tax from purchases I made during my hols. in Antario Canada, and hotels and car hire bills, some one told me that my travel agents could help, but they did not know. eg the car hire was $982.92 of which
P.A.P $77.87
GST $59.83
PST $68.38
I would be good to get some tax back for a change
regards pav

Comments

• I'm just back from Vancouver. You can only reclaim tax back for accomodation and purchases of gifts etc - which a combined total cost of $200 or more. Each individual receipt must show a minimun value of $50. Unfortunately you cannot reclaim tax for entertainment or travel costs.

The most important thing is that you have to get all receipts stamped by the immigration dept at the airport prior to your departure. They will provide you with a form and envelope at the airport - however if you complete the form at the airport then you can save the price of a stamp by posting it in a box at the airport departure lounge.

As a side issue I would recomend Vancouver for a holiday.
  • pav_2
    pav_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    thanks for response, if what you say is correct, its too late as I have been home for 4 day, and I did not have them stamped at the airport by immigration, never mind it was a great holiday, ill know next time.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You ONLY need to get the receipts stamped by the immigration department prior to departure for goods you are taking out of Canada. If you are putting in a claim for the tax on accomodation, you just need the original receipts.

Have a look at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tax/nonresidents/visitors/tax-e.html for full information.

If you choose to use this option for the tax refund, the Canadian tax authority will send you a cheque for the refund in Canadian Dollars. Obviously your bank will charge you to pay this in. There are some agencies that will process your claim for you and credit the amount of the refund to a credit card, bit they charge a handling fee.
  • Hello Martin,

I am currently visiting Toronto, and have incurred hugh taxes on hotels, sight seeing, shopping and dinners.
    Hotels bills have ranged between Can 150 and Can 1500 including taxes
    Tourist bills for CN tower and ROM have also exceeded Can 50
    Dinners have been Can 100 per night
    Shopping varies, but each bill was greater than Can 50 in total (although items may have been less)

Will I be able to claim back when I leave Canada

Suren
  • Hi
    I am booking a package dog sledding trip to Canada direct. Will I be able to claim the GST back for the trip if I get the receipt stamped at the airport. I have to pay a $500 pp deposit before I go and the balance a month before I go. This does not include the airfare.
    Can any one help
    Thanks
  • Dear all,

if you're like me you remember getting a refund of some of the tax back on purchases made in Canada.

Unfortunately this was abolished (see link) in 2007
    (well I was going to post the link, but I'm not allowed to, as a new user, to prevent spamming;0(

But if you go to the cra-arc.gc.ca website and look for notice221-e.pdf, you'll find it.

It was confusing as hell to find this documentation for clarification that this scheme no longer runs.

However, you are allowed to claim tax back, as individuals (i.e. visitors), from package holidays, but you need to make sure they meet the 'definition', which is complicated to understand for Joe Bloggs. You can find this info on the above website.

Sadly it's no tax refund for me on my last trip to Canada and I have a useless pocket full of receipts to prove it.

HTH somebody
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport