Student Finance Overpayment

My daughter attended Aberystwyth Uni, doing Psychology last year, her 1st yr.
She completed the first year and passed all the 1st yr exams.

However she decided she did not want to continue with the course. And wanted a total change.

she applied and got a place at Harper Adams Uni doing Rural Enterprise.

She informed all the correct people, got transfer forms, contacted Student Finance and told them!
She is on full loan and has highest level of maintenance grant possible, due to family finances.

She worked all summer as a waitress. To keep herself afloat.

She was told by student Finance thay she did not qualify for the summer payment so did not recieve it.

Friday she recieved a letter from student finance saying they had overpaid her by £600+ (i cant remember exact amount):eek:

It states they have written to her previously asking for the money, but we've had no other letters.

where does she stand with this?

in our experience of student finance they dont know anything about anything!

Anyone else had this problem and how was it solved

i have told her to phone them, but she cant while at uni as it will take all her mobile phone minutes!
First win 14/12 Playtex bra & Knickers!!!!:beer:
won Rimmel Foundation 08/02:j
Environmental Justice Foundation T-Shirt 11/02:rotfl:

Comments

• MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    edited 1 November 2010 at 11:29AM
    Does the letter say that she's been overpaid the Grant or the maintanence loan?

What was the official date of her leaving her course - was it prior to the official end of term?

I don't know how Student Finance for Wales is different from in England but I was told that if I left before the end of year I'd be liable to repay the grant as that is money which is given to you on the basis of you attending the full year.

She wouldn't have been entitled to a summer payment as between her leaving her first course and starting her new one she wasn't a student.

Her university (current one) will have a student support services, she can speak to them for advice and they may let her use their telephone to call Student Finance.

Hopefully someone will come along soon who has knowledge of Student Finance Wales.
    In terms of not receiving letters, has your daughter checked her online account with SFW? She should be able to view all correspondance on there and check that they've got the right correspondance address.
  • artystix
    artystix Posts: 365 Forumite
    we've found out now that she was withdrawn from study Aberystwyth instead of transferred to a nother uni as it should have been, so she's phonig Aber to sort it out as she finished the whole 1st yr and did the exams!

Student Finance need a headed letter outlining this, which should then sort things out!
    First win 14/12 Playtex bra & Knickers!!!!:beer:
    won Rimmel Foundation 08/02:j
    Environmental Justice Foundation T-Shirt 11/02:rotfl:
  • Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    For Student Finance England... (you didn't say if you are Welsh or English, just going to a Welsh uni :) )

Yes as she didn't recieve her summer payment, it looks to them as though she dropped out before the year finished.

Any grants paid, will need to be paid back should a student not complete the year.

This is most probably the reason ;)
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    However, it should be reverted back once the transfer notices are rec'd. There's an old thread of mine on The Student Room where I got this reverted for the student.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure