PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Decluttering 2012, this year, definitely ...

Comments

• dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Hi everybody,

Recent decluttering jobs have been fairly similar to last time.

Another 4 food ingredients/recipes used up, uses for cardboard and/or recycling it, reusing plastic containers before recycling them, composting and bags of recycling out. Various small tasks like finishing a last toiletry item, getting rid of a dried up felt tip, started to read a pile of old magazines which are years old, clearing computer bookmarks and reorganizing a crockery cupboard.

An example of a "thinking task"; going out yesterday which was to a churchyard. Had a bag of decorative items to take. Tidied up and decluttered the grave of old plants.

Lilyplonk - thanks for your comment. I think my examples of decluttering "thinking tasks" are those that can be mood lowering, involve decision-making, are time-consuming and usually sedentary. They seem the last to be tackled but once done, no longer cluttering one's mind?

mineallmine - also thanks for your comment about a "fantastic amount" of decluttering. It never seems enough!

Good luck decluttering today all.
  • mineallmine
    mineallmine Posts: 3,053
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 December 2012 at 4:43PM
    Morning all.

Hope you're all ok. Busy decluttering :)

The flylady room today is the room of doom. These are the more cluttered areas (like the others have been a breeze....). And the declutter finds are a plenty:

67. Bag of rubbish
    68. Bag (CS)
    69. Bag of shredding/burning
    70.71.72. Books (CS)
    73. Old earplugs
    74. Another bag (CS)
    75.76. Knackered old clothes pegs
    77. Old catalogue
    78. Brochure
    79. Old membership cards
    80. Old bank cards
    81. More old brochures
    82. More old bank cards
    83. Yet more old membership cards (what am I collecting these now??)
    84. Leaflets
    85. Recipe book
    86. Plastic soap dish
    87. Bamix recipe book

This lot came from 2 bags that were stuffed full. There's still stuff to sort. It may have to go into 1 bag, but thats still one less bag overall.

Need to clear a bookcase in this room. Its a crappy old one thats unsteady/ knackered. So I need to rehome everything on it so hubby can enjoy smashing it to bits!!

So I've reached 87 things out of where I should be today which is 120 things decluttered. This room is really soul destroying. I mustn't keep focusing on how awful it looks but instead think this room will house my shiny new (second hand) sewing machine soon.

:A
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!"
    Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
  • museumworker
    museumworker Posts: 2,240
    Forumite
    edited 6 December 2012 at 10:24PM
    keep going mineallmine!

will have to edit with numbers but just wanted to record:
    33-4 2 books to friends house
    35-6 used up 2 shower gels
    Mortgage [STRIKE]16/03/2011: £190K 01/01/2017: £107,729.65 [/STRIKE] 01/07/2017: £95,979.89
    OPs 2011-2016 = £45K 2017 OPs = £9250.20
  • mineallmine
    Forumite
    Thanks MW! Keep attacking those books. :)
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
  • happytails
    happytails Posts: 1,554
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite

happytails - interested in your sling meet. I carried DS a lot when he was tiny as he had such bad wind and was really unsettled. Used a wrap sling. However he is now ENORMOUS - probably about 19lb - and quite heavy to carry. What would you recommend? OH has a manduca but not tried it on me yet as looks a bit complicated to do up.

You need a woven wrap or a good SSC (soft structured carrier)/mei tai for bigger babies :)

I still carry ds (he is nearly 2 and 30lbs) in my mei tai or woven. :D can carry my near 4 year old at a push, it's finding what works for you :)

Whereabouts are you? There might be a local sling meet near you (they are all over), I co run Blackpool and Lancaster :)

Sarah xx
    DFW Total £21,800 to clear by Dec 2022
    MFW Total £184,950 £179,066 to clear by 2035
  • mineallmine
    Forumite
    88.89. Old birthday cards

:T
  • Just a few odds & ends today, don't make a vast difference in the house but they weren't needed..

17. Expired Morrisons's money-off coupons - didn't realise I had. Recycling
    18. Plug in air freshener: plug bit will go to electrical recycling, glass in glass recycling. It's cheaper to buy a whole new one than to get a refill... how mad is that?
    19. Fabric used up today making 4 morsbags - 2 given away, 2 kept for next Tuesday's coffee morning
    20. Junk mail in recycling
    21. Old yellow pages - recycling
    22. Jar of olives used up. Lid in recycling, jar in glass recycling box
    23. Pair of tiny wellies given to daughter for grandson

Jobs done today:

Trip to building society to withdraw money for builders
    Made 4 morsbags at local library
    Finished project for my quilt group Secret Santa

Tomorrow I need to go shopping so there will be more ins than outs. Not my most favourite pasttime but it's got to be done as we're running out of food!
    Keep Calm and Carry On Kondoing

• Lilyplonk
    Lilyplonk Posts: 1,145 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2012 at 7:08AM
    Good morning :wave: folks - another silly o'clock wake-up for me today :(. I've already taken my meds and had some coffee.gif.

Business in charity shop, yesterday, was quite slow - apart from the last hour of my shift (around lunchtime) when we seemed to get an influx of customers - all looking for tea/coffee - so we 'got them' for our Charity Christmas Raffle while they were in ;). It may have had something to do with the sudden downpour of rain - oh well every cloud and all that ...................! I was very good, the only thing I brought home was a pack of 'Christmas Tree Seeds' - obviously not for this year ;). Don't know how good they'll turn out to be, but will never find out if I don't try them :D. Could possibly turn out to be very :money:!

Yesterday afternoon I trailed all the way into Liverpool to visit the Pavers Shop with the boots that I bought last week in the Fleetwood Outlet Shop. How sadly mistaken I was to think that an exchange would be straightforward ................. was told that the shops don't actually exchange Outlet Shops purchases as they carry a 'different stock'. What Bunkum - the stuff in the shop was identical to what was in the Outlet place! What on earth are you supposed to do if, like me, you pay a visit while on a daytrip or holiday - go all the way back to flaming Fleetwood just to change a pair of boots. Anyway, I stood my ground - stated my argument again - and waved my till receipt in a shop full of people until I got a 'manager' who contacted the Warehouse to find that what I wanted was in stock and that they would order it in for me. They'll phone me to let me know when to collect - result (of sorts) :j!

Evening meal was courtesy of 'freezer diving' - curry for OH with rice, indian snacks and peshwari naan bread. I had Sweet Chilli King Prawns :drool: - so that's a bit more space cleared in freezer and packaging in rubbish bin :D. Everything had been whoopsied :rotfl:.

Dannie - sounds like you had a better decluttering day than I did - well done you :T.

What a great incentive, mineallmine - 'room of doom' to 'sewing room' - brilliant idea! You had a productive day with all that carp that you found :j.

Museumworker - are you like me where books are concerned and feel guilty as though you're deserting 'an old friend' when you get rid? Yesterday, I promised a cs customer that I would take in all my Kathy Reichs books - and although it'll be hard to part with them, I won't break that promise. Keep up the good work :).

I just can't understand when you find time to do everything you do, happytails - you're such a busy person - congratulations on how you manage your family/home/life :A.

Well done on the morsbags, loopychriss - great brightidea.gif for using up fabric stash ....................... maybe one day, I'll get around to making some out of my left-overs.

I took a huge bag of OH's clothing collection to the cs yesterday along with a few of my 'far too big' tops and half a dozen mugs from the cupboard. He was finally told that if he didn't get them bagged by Saturday, then I would do it for him :rotfl: - he's not a happy bunny, but it worked! I've still got some BIG skirts in my wardrobe - I should swallow my own medicine and take them.

One of the lovely ladies that I work with at the cs has provided me with a stack of boxes (flattened) that will be an ideal size for packing large reference books. I need to go back today to collect them, so will try to bring myself to part with the skirts at the same time - no time like the present and no point in going up there 'empty handed'!

DD will be visiting this morning to collect 24 fairy cakes for dgd2's Christmas Fayre later today - she'd better bring my cake storage box back to me. Those are things that I'm NOT prepared to part with ;).

Have removed some SmartPrice Turkey Breast Steaks from freezer to cook for this evening. Will turn them into some kind of 'chilli recipe' along with some peppers (from freezer), onion (from fridge drawer), Ratatouille (from cupboard). Mixed Beans (from cupboard) and spices (from cupboard). There's also some Garlic Bread Slices in freezer - so looks like a 'good feed' tonight HShungry.gif!

Best of luck for today, girls - Happy Decluttering - Lilyplonk xx
  • mineallmine
    Forumite
    Going into the room of doom again today. 30 minutes blitz. Probably going through a bag sitting down.

Who's up for a blitz of decluttering this morning? :A
  • silentsister
    silentsister Posts: 265 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2012 at 2:11PM
    Good morning all

I'm really sorry for those of you who're having a rough time or not able to sleep. I was also awake early but there's no real reason. However this week has been so hard. Finishing! I find it so much harder than the regular decluttering and getting things out of the house. So dealing with the photos of a friend's party in August has meant collecting photos from 3 sources, downloading them, doing a first selection, having the friend around to do another selection, copying her choice to disc, encouraging her to decide how many copies she wanted, copying them, and telling her they are ready for collection. Nothing difficult - just pushing on until all is done. Washing includes hanging up to dry (it should include putting away from dry - I know). Washing up includes drying and putting back in cupboards. Maybe it's all part of changing the way I think. Well, I did want challenges for my retirement!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure