Time off work for hospital appointments?

Comments

• dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/RightsAndObligations/DisabilityRights/DG_4001069
    The Disability Discrimination Act (DDA) defines a disabled person as someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.
    In the way that you describe his condition (managed, no time of in two and a half years), I doubt that he is covered by the DDA.

All because someone is registered as disabled, it does not mean that they are covered by the DDA. Conversely, not everyone that is covered by the DDA is registered as disabled.

I note that you have thanked everybody that has agreed with you. Just because somebody disagrees, does not mean that they are wrong.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Sorry dmg24, you're wrong. So in your case, it does mean that your wrong (but I'll thank you for giving me something to write)

The DDA takes into account the fact that conditions have to be managed. The benchmark measure is what would happen if the condition wasn't managed.

If OPs husband didn't take his insulin, he would fall into a hypergycemic (sp) coma and propably die. Thus, it is covered by the DDA

Quote from www.equalityhumanrights.com (new DRC site) "Examples include cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis and heart conditions"

OP - get your husband to check with the HR department. My dad works for our local council and has diabeties - he can take time off for hospital appointments fully paid and doesn't have to make up the time, but not for doctors appointments - they have to be made up.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    I still disagree with you niffer, and I do have experience in this area, but we are all entitled to our own opinions, and you thanked me, so that's ok! x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Fleago
    Fleago Posts: 1,185
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I too have experience in this area and I'm afraid I have to disagree with you too, dmg24. As niffer said, what is taken into account when determing whether a person is disabled under the Act in a case such as someone having diabetes, is whether the condition would have a substantial and long term adverse effect on day to day living if it were not treated or controlled.

Therefore, it is quite feasible for someone to have a disability and require very little time off for appointments or time off sick. The only exception to the treatment proviso is a visual impairment that can be treated by wearing glasses or corrective lenses.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,936
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Oh, so does that make my deafness not a disability because in my case (not all I know) it can be 'treated' by wearing my hearing aid?

Just interested ... I always put "I have a mild hearing loss" on equal ops forms, but I wouldn't (yet) say I'm disabled as a result of it!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    actually it is a disabilty, although I think it doesn't ever entitle you to benefits, could be wrong on that though.
    LL

Madjock wrote: »
    diabetes isn't a disability so i dont think it's covered by the dda is it?
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• LilacLillie
    LilacLillie Posts: 2,930
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    dmg24 wrote: »
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/RightsAndObligations/DisabilityRights/DG_4001069

I note that you have thanked everybody that has agreed with you. Just because somebody disagrees, does not mean that they are wrong.

I thought I'd thanked you when I clicked to quote you.
    Now you have pointed it out I see that I didn't. It was nothing to do with who had agreed with me.
    However I NEVER thank people who ask for thanks on this forum.
    LL
    We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars........................

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Techno
    Techno Posts: 1,169
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I agree with nifferwilko - tell your OH to speak to the HR department and also have a look at the sickness/absence policy - most councils are fairly flexible and it could just be that your OH's boss is just being awkward and /or isn't aware of the policy - the fact that he is attending these appointments may well mean that he doesn't need to take time off sick at a later date because his diabetes goes out of kilter
    ;) If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    i have diabetes and am certainly not disabled and would take issue with anyone trying to suggest otherwise. my child has recently been diagnosed with epilepsy and i have had to take her to numerous apointments i always makeup the time .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure