Thinking of giving up work to go on benefits

Comments

• Glen0000
    Glen0000 Posts: 446 Forumite
    duchy wrote: »
    I guess it depends on what example you want to give your kids. Do you want them to grow up thinking that it's OK not to want to work ? Would you be tempted to follow your mates example and work illegally? How would you explain that to your kids if you do -or worse if you got caught ? Do you have the savings to carry you through the non benefit paying period if you give up your job for no good reason ? Your wife married a man who worked-would she feel the same way about you if you were regarded by neighbours, friends and family as a dole sponger ?
    Lots of questions to consider. Might be better to work out where your money is going first and see if there are areas savings can be made-I bet you'll be surprised.
    BTW if Gordon is "taking every penny" then your tax code is probably wrong !

I was on benefits when my wife met me. Was on the dole on and off for 5 years. Honestly it was a far happier time in our lives and I am beginning to wonder why I joined the rat race.

As for my kids, work doesnt seem to pay anymore. Why would I want them slaving away when no one else bothers?
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    Zara33 wrote: »
    Oh woe is you, what a pathetic attempt, nice new username ;)

Good spot Zara ... seems all too familiar from Tuesday night? x
    Gone ... or have I?
  • scooper
    scooper Posts: 986 Forumite
    what do you guys mean?has he been on before asking the same ?
    appreciate what you have got x
  • Glen0000
    scooper wrote: »
    if you have been on that amount of money and having it coming in the house regualrly then it will be so hard for you to go on benifits and once after maybe a few weeks or years reality hits and you are so skint like we are at the moment,and us previously not having to worry too much about money then you will be brought back down to earth

I now take home £400 a week after tax, ni and pension

Benefits would give us £255

Petrol and running the car costs us about £110 a week
    Dentist/prescription optitions £10 a week

If I gave up work, would not need the car and free health costs.

That leaves me £25 a week better off working. That is reality.
  • dmg24
    Is it or isn't it? Not sure ...

Nonetheless, anyone that has so little self respect as to choose to live on benefits is not worth bothering about.

Benefits are for those in genuine need, not for those that cannot be ar*** to do anything for themselves.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • Zebedee69
    Zebedee69 Posts: 1,034 Forumite
    Hi Glen,

30,000 is a nice wage. !!!!ed off because you couldnt buy the latest BMW huh!!!

People like you make me sick! One of my close friends has four kids, a wife, a house and lives on £12,000 a year.

Oh and just for the record my boss contantly pays my wages late, always argues my hours and i work 50+ of them a week.

Still think your cushy 9-5 monday to friday is !!!!? And 30,000 a year bloody hell what more do you realy want?

As for your mates i pay their wages dirty scum! Id love to !!!! them with a large !!!!!

Rant Over
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    That's the point though Glenn has no self-respect and wants his kids to go the same way. Just another loser. Move on-nothing to see
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • Glen0000
    Zebedee69 wrote: »
    Hi Glen,

30,000 is a nice wage. !!!!ed off because you couldnt buy the latest BMW huh!!!

People like you make me sick! One of my close friends has four kids, a wife, a house and lives on £12,000 a year.

Oh and just for the record my boss contantly pays my wages late, always argues my hours and i work 50+ of them a week.

Still think your cushy 9-5 monday to friday is !!!!? And 30,000 a year bloody hell what more do you realy want?

As for your mates i pay their wages dirty scum! Id love to !!!! them with a large !!!!!

Rant Over

If he has 4 kids and is on £12k a year he will be getting an additional £12k a year in tax credits and child benefit. He takes home more than I do!!!!

As for working 9 -5 . I wish!!! You don't get paid £30k a year if you only want to work office hours.
  • dmg24
    If he has 4 kids and is on £12k a year he will be getting an additional £12k a year in tax credits and child benefit. He takes home more than I do!!!!

Zebedee did not say that he had a salary of £12K, he said he lived on £12K.

I know endless people that earn over £30K and just work office hours.

Clearly you don't have to be able to understand English to earn £30K!
    Gone ... or have I?
  • I cannot believe what I am reading. Work pays, work pays for me to live in a nice house, have a social life, I've not got a brilliant job but I am satisfied with it and try my best at it. If you're questioning going on the dole, take a long hard look at yourself. What kind of greedy person does that and expects hard-working people to pay for it? You and your doley mates are selfish, don't mean to be harsh but it's true.

It also sets a very poor example for your children - why bother trying hard at school to just lay around watching TV all day. What is their motivation going to be for bettering themselves? If you're going to go on the dole and not want a job, why not do charity work and help others rather than live it up and let us pay for it.

As for your Gordon comment, I don't mean to be all assumtive but have you ever voted in your life?

David Cameron (haha) said yesterday that they (if the Tories get into power) would take Jobseekers from those who do not accept jobs that they are fully able to do, just because they don't want to work. I think it's the best thing I heard yesterday, even if I don't vote Tory. Gordon doesn't take every penny. Especially if you're in the lower tax bracket. It's for your pension, your FREE healthcare, your bin collection, everything else you can think of. Services you would whinge about if you didn't get them.

Finally, my boyf is on £40k plus and works office hours. And I'm set to earn more than £30k this year, working in an office. So what's your excuse?
    :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport