PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

running back for tips with my tail between my legs!!!

ok, ok so I haven't managed to complete any of the grocery challenges on target, and I still haven't managed to suss out this money saving lark. But things are getting no better money wise so I am running back for tips to get me started....... properly this time.

so, what do I need to put on my shopping list to make a start with my own cleaning products from scratch??? I'm thinking basic ingredients here, like the bicarb etc.

how much would I need to make a good supply for kitchen and bathroom???

I'm going shopping tonight and am going to give it a go.

watch this space...... :money:
Official DFW Nerd #148 :D
Debt level @ highest (May 2004): £15000 :eek: Debt level @ August 2006: £9591.53
Lightbulb moment May 2006 :idea:

Comments

• Rabbit
    Rabbit Posts: 146 Forumite
    Hi there, some tips which I hope will help you,

Make a shopping list and do a menu planner for the week at the same time. You must stick to the list when you are shopping.

I have kept my receipts for a month and then made a price book so I know more or less what each item costs. This is really helpful when you do your shopping list as you can tot up the cost at home and then it feels great when you are out at the shops and get something for less than the price on your list. It really keeps me focused.

This goes with shopping with cash and taking the money out of the bank each week and sticking to budget too.

Good Luck with the shop tonight. Also ask yourself if anything you put in your trolley is a 'nice to have' or 'need to have'.

Edit....forgot to say Tesco 'value' cream cleaner - like Jif or Cif now is 29p (or 49p - not sure) I got some to try, it's very good and only prob is the clip on the top is a bit flimsy but the stuff does the job.
    A penny saved is one you don't have to earn! :wave:
  • loobyloo1980
    loobyloo1980 Posts: 587 Forumite
    Rabbit wrote:
    Hi there, some tips which I hope will help you,

Make a shopping list and do a menu planner for the week at the same time. You must stick to the list when you are shopping.

Yes, I have started doing this so far this month, and it is surprising how much stuff I haven't bought doing it this way.
    I have kept my receipts for a month and then made a price book so I know more or less what each item costs. This is really helpful when you do your shopping list as you can tot up the cost at home and then it feels great when you are out at the shops and get something for less than the price on your list. It really keeps me focused.

I do a similar thing when I have time, I go on tesco.com and do my shopping on there and see what the guide price is. I don't always get it delivered unless it is enough to use a voucher code.
    This goes with shopping with cash and taking the money out of the bank each week and sticking to budget too.

Now this is what i am not good at!!! I need to do this so badly, but I just don't 'do' cash!!! :rolleyes: I will try so hard to be good with this, as I know this is probably the root cause of my problem. :o
    Good Luck with the shop tonight. Also ask yourself if anything you put in your trolley is a 'nice to have' or 'need to have'.

yeah, most of the 'nice to have' has gone this month anyway, as we go on honeymoon in just under 2 weeks. we have been running down supplies this month, but instead of banking the savings have just used them towards more holiday stuff.

can't wait for son to be out of nappies as that will shave a good £8 a week off the cost when considering nappies, wipes and sudocrem!!! only a few months to go.....
    Debt level @ highest (May 2004): £15000 :eek: Debt level @ August 2006: £9591.53
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Shopping List

Cleaning

1 pot of bicarbonate of soda (in the home baking isle about 44p)
    1 bottle of white vinegar (on the vinegar isle called distilled malt vinegar and it's clear not white about 46p)

Food

1 big chicken
    1lb mince (chilli)
    1 jacket potato each
    new or old potatoes (chicken dinner)
    1 or 2 carrots (chicken dinner)
    1 bunch (?) broccoli (chicken dinner, chick, broc. pasta)
    Increase amount of veg if making soup
    1 pack cherry tomatoes (omlette, chicken salad)
    1/2 cucumber (omlette, chicken salad)
    1 lettuce (omlette, chicken salad)
    1 pack coleslaw (omlette, chicken salad)
    1 pack cheese (pizza)
    1 small tub cream (chick, broc pasta)
    1 pack rice
    1 pack pasta
    6 eggs (omlette)
    1 pack white flour (pizza)
    2 tins tomatoes (pizza and chilli)
    1 tin kidney beans (chilli)
    1 loaf bread

Meal plan

Friday - cheese and tomato omlette with salad and coleslaw
    Saturday - pizza
    Sunday - Chicken dinner
    Monday - Chicken salad and coleslaw
    Tuesday - chicken in white wine sauce with brocolli & pasta
    Wednesday - Chilli in slow cooker (or not) with rice
    Thursday - Jacket potato with chilli
    Lunch - veg soup or cheese sandwiches

Also have a look at THIS thread which might be useful. You could by the tin and keep the bits and bobs in it to use and part of your meal plan.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • loobyloo1980
    thanks galtizz, thats great. How many would that feed out of interest? I have my partner (who is a human dust bin) and 2 kids (5 and 20mths) to feed. Luckily they all like chicken, but not sure about chilli - even i don't like that.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    It would feed 2 very hungry adults.

I'd make it a very big chicken, 1 1/2lbs mince maybe add another veg, make it 1 cucumber (unless the 1/2s are big). Maybe add 2 or 3 big tomatos to have with the omlette if the cherry ones are going in the omlette.

You could make the chilli, bolognese instead and don't buy the rice :)

My other advise would be to get yourself to Lidl or Aldi. Most of their veg is 1/2 the price of Tescos and IMHO it's better quality too. I tend to get everything I can from Lidl then get the rest from Tescos. It takes a little bit longer but saves a fortune.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • loobyloo1980
    unfortunately we don't have a lidl :mad:
  • loobyloo1980
    well, went shopping tonight. decided not to get the items suggested on this occasion, as we are running down supplies ready for hols and have enough food in to last us 10 days before we go. Just had to buy a few accompaniements to make the actual meals (bit of bacon, bag of pasta, bread & milk etc).

Set myself the goal of £50 for rest of month and was bang on target only spending £24 in total this week, £8 of which was daughters birthday cake for her party & candles, so under £20 for actual grocery shop. Very impressed with myself :T

resisted all the BOGOFs and treats :A
  • Magentasue
    Magentasue Posts: 4,229 Forumite
    One way to keep to budget is to plan your meals and then make a list of all your ingredients. Cross off what you already have and add on the things like tea, coffee, cereals etc that you will need for the week. Same for bread, fruit and veg.

Then go on Tesco's website and do a pretend online shop. You can mess around with it until it comes under budget. There's your shopping list!

As for cleaning, I haven't converted to vinegar (hangs head in shame) but do you need any? How much have you got in cupboards already? If you do need to buy stuff, I reckons you can get by with washing up liquid (I go for supermarket own but not the smartprice one), same for detergent (fo laundry) and a multi purpose cream or liquid cleaner. Something for the dishwasher, some cheap bleach and something for wood and you're set up for weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure