Personal alarm systems for old people

Comments

• hartcjhart
    hartcjhart Posts: 9,463 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aldi had some phones with an emergency alarm incorporated but maybe out of stock,we got one for our father
    details here

Silvercrest Big Button phone

http://www.topcom.net/en/communication/product/48/Axiss830(2).html
    I :love: MOJACAR
  • stagey_2
    stagey_2 Posts: 201 Forumite
    Try your local council - they may run a scheme. Ours do - Lifeline.

yes my mum has a local authority system - probably cheaper too.
  • Russe11
    Russe11 Posts: 1,198 Forumite
    thanks that'll do
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    scotsbob wrote: »
    I you don't want a monitored, subscription service then the Yale telephone alarm is worth looking at.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/yale-distress-alert-system-227363
    That's on sale on Amazon for just over £20 delivered too: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003EDS3FE/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=AAPAFJ8Z2VRFS
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • shards_2
    shards_2 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 27 February 2011 at 7:06PM
    The most clear, comprehensive and independent guide for the public to such alarms in the UK is the telecare section of the Disabled Living Foundation's (DLF) Living Made Easy website*. These systems have tremendous benefits if used and maintained correctly, but they also have shortcomings which, thanks to Murphy's Law, people often don't discover until help is needed - pendants are not worn, mobile devices are switched off, or uncharged, etc.

The above site will help anyone arrive at the best system for them, whether they purchase it privately or get it through their council's social services or, for tenants of social housing providers, get it through them.

* As I'm a new poster on this forum I can't include a link, but a Google search for 'DLF Telecare Made Easy' (without the quotes) will find it.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A number of organisations run alarm systems. You just have to google to see which ones run in your area. Also, the local council sometimes does it as already mentioned.
    You can have a system where there are pull cords and a speaker or speakers. Plus you can usually have a pendant alarm. Should you fall, just press the button on the alarm or pull a cord. It goes through to a 24 hour response centre. They can immediately identify who is calling and bring up medical and other info. Staff can talk to the person through the speaker - wherever they are in the home -and vice versa. These systems can also usually be linked to a fire alarm system.
    It is a good idea to have a key safe outside the door. These usually have combination locks. Emergency and support services should be given the access code.
    Some people also chose to have 'morning calls' where someone checks they are OK. Though careful. As a new Warden I once called someone with dementia and she got such a shock at the voice coming over airwaves that she jumped up and fell over!
  • we are currently using Aid Call but I am now looking into Telecare (run by London Borough WF and Newham) as this incorporates packages for later on in life ie dementia sufferers - medicine alerts, key safes etc which means a pendant will not have to be relied on as my mum cannot remember what it is for and how to use it.
  • magic57
    magic57 Posts: 736 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind Russe11....My pal Doug is looking for an alarm for when out walking. He's recntly had a stroke, and trying to get back into it but a little uncertain. He's just rung me from home, do I know of a mobile that does a one button alarm. Doug is 83, not very techie.
    Can anyone help

I don't know if you are still looking at this thread but if you google "Easy 5" you'll find details of a very simple mobile. I came across it when I was looking for a phone for my mum. You have to pre programme it from another phone then you just press the hot keys. It looks good but I haven't tried it.

I didn't get that model in the end but another similar easy phone, but my mum still can't use it!
  • Hello, I don't know if you are still looking but there is a new company being used by hospitals and local councils - CareConnectMe that offers a safety/reminder call with a notification service and works over standard landline or mobile phone and theres no installation of equipment. They are offering a FREE trial by invite till september. careconnectme.com

take care and hope that helps

: )
  • tokicat
    tokicat Posts: 70 Forumite
    We got a really good system for my dad from a local company called broby living. They gave us free monitoring for a limited period so this might help on the cost side.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 2014 #204 Target £100
    :)
    Making Big Financial Changes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills