How can I cancel my 3 contract?

Comments

• agsnu
    agsnu Posts: 1,457 Forumite
    Buzby wrote: »
    Firstly, you don't have 14 days to cancel - so you cannot hope to get them for that omission. Upgrades are specifically excluded, so if you are an existing customer and you plan to leave, they will offer a 'deal' to retain you, which will be less than others are charged. Because of this, your termination date - the earliest you can leave - will be extended by 12, 18 or 24 months.

Surely this is a contract that you have a cooling off period for under DSR.
  • I have had trouble with my 3 mobile broaband ever since I had it. They told me I could not cancel my contract. I decided to cancel my direct debit, they then started chasing for money. I advised that I would not pay as I have never been able to use it,as I have never had a signal to use it. Finally got fed up of them chasing for money so I rang OFCOM, you can get thier number of the web. They are so helpful and have put me in touch with the right people with the correct procedure. if you are unable to use a service why pay for it?
  • robt_2
    robt_2 Posts: 3,401
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    agsnu wrote: »
    Surely this is a contract that you have a cooling off period for under DSR.

You are extending your contract, you are are starting a new one. Big difference and why no cooling off period.
  • helenh1123 wrote: »
    Hi
    I have moved into a new house and have no coverage at all on my 3 mobile, i bought it in dec, they are saying because i have had it more than 3 months i cant cancel it, but i cant use it, and for the next 15 months i will have to pay for no coverage on my phone. I have written to customer services in glasgow, but i am at my whits end, i need the phone for work!! PLease help I dont know what to do
    H

To be honest the same is happening to me but one of my friends told me he had gone to three and returned his blackberry and he did not pay anything and three had given him back money and he went to o2 and got an iphone 4 and he had a contract for 5 months. All he did was telling three costumer services to read back 10.1d from the contract.

Im going to do the same thing today so wish me luck.
  • I am having a lot of trouble at the moment with 3g, I have two contract phones since the start of the year since i have have all kinda of problems. The first was i got two lg gw250 or 520 at first worked ok then both phones started to go mad turning them selfs off not being able yto text and a number of other things which i wont bore you with the best is still to come!!!
    After a number of months complaining and having one exchanged and still getting problrmems they actually exchanged them both fpr nokias 5230 the day we got them in the evening used them the next dat we had no signal when my signal bars are up i try and make a call and it says connection error, and the phones both turned off screens went black and i have not been able to use them since this has been for the last three days!!! I managed to contact 3 about this they went on like i was liying but i have made videos of them doing it all, they told me i they cant believe it is hapening to both phones
    again. They told me i had to take them to a shop near me called the fast track reapirs i have done this and stil both phones are not working.
    I am so angry i am paying them for services i cant use.

CAN ANY ONE HELP ME I JUST WONT TO CANCELL THESE CONTRACTS ASAP
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one with problems cancelling a 3 contract!!
    I was on an 18 month contract which was all fine and dandy until the last 5-6 months of the contract, when low and behold my signal fell dramatically! So much so that it made it impossible for me to hold a telephone conversation longer than a few seconds. And I wasn't alone in this, I knew a few people all on 3 with the same problem, and one being my boyfriend who had exactly the same contract and phone (Sony Ericsson K770) as me! When I complained they assured me the signal would improve and they couldn't do anything about it.
    It got to the point where I got so fed up of it, I moved to 3 and purchased a brand spanking new contract with them. Knowing though, that I still had 3 months left on my 3 contract I continued to pay the remainder of it (despite not even using the service) thinking it might avoid any cancellation fees or legal dramas. Exactly one month before the end was nigh, I rang 3, requested a termination of my contract and after a good ten mins or so of the foreign woman on the end of the phone attempting to sell me another contract she gave in. With a few minutes of tapping on the keyboard in the background and giving my contract details etc, she finally told me that she had sorted it and it had been cancelled for me.
    How nice for me to then recieve two bills the following two months after the END of my cancelled contract from 3 requesting payment as usual. I wrote to them, explained I had cancelled and I had no desire to hear from them further. I recieved a letter denying I'd ever cancelled.
    Ever since then (nearly a year ago now) almost every other month I recieve another letter from a debt collection agency (different company every time) requesting the mesely £50 that 3 are chasing. I've contacted the agencies and 3 countless times to remind them of the account I did cancel, but to no avail. I've now given up bothering to contact them. They never listen.
    Moral: never go with 3!!
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Ever since then (nearly a year ago now) almost every other month I recieve another letter from a debt collection agency (different company every time) requesting the mesely £50 that 3 are chasing. I've contacted the agencies and 3 countless times to remind them of the account I did cancel, but to no avail. I've now given up bothering to contact them. They never listen.
    Moral: never go with 3!!

You need to sort out the debt, be it a real debt or a accounting error, ignoring it will not make it go away, it may lead to credit problems later on. Each month you don't pay is another month on your credit record as having missed payments. The record is kept for six years.

The measly £50 will increase if they take you to court as the fee's will be added, not to mention any debt collection agency fees may be added.

And the moral is put it in writing send it by a "signed for " service and send it to the address on the back of your bill.

That way they can't later on deny recieving it. I always cancel contracts by letter, and never seem to have problems with any provider that ay. Phone is OK but a letter you can show they recieved it.
  • smothy
    smothy Posts: 43 Forumite
    My wife has been receiving phone calls from a debt collecting agency (we don't answer the phone to 0845 and the like, usually muppets selling stuff, etc.) and then the letters started. Turns out they're representing 3, chasing money owed on a contract she cancelled in Sept 2010. She owed 1 month, the last month, and so 3 decided to let the contract roll over. Kind of them.

Can they keep her to a new 12 month contract or

will she have to pay the monthly bills from Sept 2010 to today or

will she be liable just for the one month she admits was outstanding on the end date ( a date which 3 deny she asked for termination).
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    smothy wrote: »
    she admits was outstanding on the end date ( a date which 3 deny she asked for termination).

Do you have anything in writing that that letter was recieved by three?
  • Hi guys, i've the same problem with 3 even though I expressed clearly over the phone that I didnt want to renew my contract and neither i upgraded my phone. They won't cancel it.

I'd say we all prepare a joined document clearing this matter once and for all!

P.s. I also wrote them by post but I never kept any tracking records from the post office. Should I have done that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure