The ESA medical for people with anxiety and depression

Has anyone who has been claiming Employment Support Allowance, actually successfully passed the medical assessment on the grounds of suffering from anxiety and or depression.

I have an ongoing thread in relation to my situation. But i am keen to know if anyone has gotten through this awful ordeal ok and had the benefit left intact? Are they seriously failing all people who suffer from this mental illness. Yes we may look physically ok, but inside we are far from ok.

When i eventually recover from my issues, which i so hope i do. I am seriously thinking about putting this issue to the government, local MP's etc. The system needs to understand mental health issues alot better than they currently do.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• cozza
    cozza Posts: 502
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi i was on esa for depression when i went for first medical they turned me down .
    But i appealed against it and tribunal went in my favour I dont think they reconised depression as illness coz so many try to say they are depressed when they arent
    Which when you do get a genuine case they dont believe you so you have to go through all the tribunal stress to prove you are genuine
    I now am back to normal now thank god .
  • Thank you cozza, what makes me mad about this whole process is the fact that they dont view your GPs report or really look into your medical history. If they did with mine they would see that i am not pulling the wool over anyones eyes, since i was a child i have had ongoing issues. Perhaps if they spoke to my GP or Shrink, these people would be able to pick out who is telling the truth and who isnt. I am glad you are better now!
  • cozza
    cozza Posts: 502
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ty gem they just see you are ok on the outside but never mind wots going on inside ya head when i had my first medical at atso i was crying all trough my medical as i just was so depressed and he didnt give a toss .
    I went for an update medical on sat just gone and the atso doc was saying they feel sorry for people with depression as its the goverment that set critiara ? and its ya own doctor who know wether you are fit or not to work
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Has anyone who has been claiming Employment Support Allowance, actually successfully passed the medical assessment on the grounds of suffering from anxiety and or depression.

I have an ongoing thread in relation to my situation. But i am keen to know if anyone has gotten through this awful ordeal ok and had the benefit left intact? Are they seriously failing all people who suffer from this mental illness. Yes we may look physically ok, but inside we are far from ok.

When i eventually recover from my issues, which i so hope i do. I am seriously thinking about putting this issue to the government, local MP's etc. The system needs to understand mental health issues alot better than they currently do.

Look forward to hearing from you.

EVERY type of illness/disability is being turned down, why do you think you are diffrent? They dont ask GPs about you or any of your consultants, its down to the nurse or doctor at your assessment and the result is decided by LIMA software.

On your other thread you said if you are disabled you are fine, where did you find this information?

Go to your MP (we did), the system isnt fit for purpose and seriously ill people are being told to sign on JSA.
  • tonycarew
    tonycarew Posts: 239
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The bar is raised to far too high a level to qualify for this benefit IMHO.The criteria appears far too strict.
    I dont think it will be too long before the system grinds to a hault with peoples appeals.Subsequently I believe the government at some point in the near future will be forced to relax the criteria for qualification
  • sunnyone i am merely trying to say that if someone has a physical disability then the evidence is there, in perhaps a clearer way. Whereas if someone is mentally ill, the picture is not so clear. In any case i do not understand why anyones GP etc is not contacted? This would help all people involved surely.

I realise a vast amount are failing the medical whatever there circumstances.

It seems from what i have been told from people with similar issues as myself the medical questions being asked during the assessment are not aimed at someone with mental health issues. I have no problems picking a pen up or bending or whatever, so if questions are aimed at someone for the wrong condition then of course you will pass the assessment.

I agree the system is not fit for purpose sunnyone. Something has to change and soon.
  • sunnyone
    sunnyone Posts: 4,716
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    sunnyone i am merely trying to say that if someone has a physical disability then the evidence is there, in perhaps a clearer way. Whereas if someone is mentally ill, the picture is not so clear. In any case i do not understand why anyones GP etc is not contacted? This would help all people involved surely.

I realise a vast amount are failing the medical whatever there circumstances.

It seems from what i have been told from people with similar issues as myself the medical questions being asked during the assessment are not aimed at someone with mental health issues. I have no problems picking a pen up or bending or whatever, so if questions are aimed at someone for the wrong condition then of course you will pass the assessment.

I agree the system is not fit for purpose sunnyone. Something has to change and soon.

ESA is the same for everyone and having physical disabilities dosnt mean that the assessment is any easier, it should be easy to pass if you have serious disabilities either mental or physical but it isnt and anxiety and depression is the bad back of mental illness.

And ESA dosnt work for many serious, life threatening illnesses. My husband has stage 4 kidney failure and a suspected endocrine tumour yet he was passed fit for work in his assessment for the reasons you state, he can pick up a pen ect. but our MP has more sense and hes now in the support group, contact your MP and they should help but even if they dont if everyone contacts there MPs they should realise that ESA isnt fit for purpose and maybe things will change in the next parlement.

I have no time for lazt, bone idle sherkers but when someones worked since they left school then becomes ill for any reason the system should be there to help and support them, thats what its for.
  • dmg24
    dmg24 Posts: 33,925 Forumite
    geministar2008, you have not actually had your medical yet. Could I suggest that you approach it with an open mind? Though people have reported problems with the ESA medicals, many people have gone through the system with no problems at all.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,077
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Yes i suffer from depression and BPD and passed first time (support group).

I too was worried because of all the horror stries i'd heard but in reality it wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined it would be.
  • thanks messed up we have communicated before. How long ago did you go through this? Are you any better now? Are you still in the ESA support group? One day when i am recovered in in recovery mode i would love to perhaps help within a mental health organisation, there needs to far more support and understanding to this disease.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure