The cheapest Pay As You Go mobile tariff

Comments

• JR19
    JR19 Posts: 106 Forumite
    The PAYG were out of stock at Clapham Junction, but managed to find one at Beckton. As I purchased £10.00 'Top-Up', the Sim was free and came with £1.00 credit, so a great bonus.
    :icotbaske
  • Well I went to my local Tesco yesterday and bought a PAYG Simcard for 1p. They charge 20p a min for calls or 10 per text, BUT this is half price on your 5 favourite numbers. ALSO when you top-up with £15 you get 500 free texts or 150 free mins. Can anyone beat that?
  • I may have misundrerstood this, but has anyone else noticed that Asda are making a feature of the fact that they charge 20p per mb for gprs/data. I was comparing that to Virgin's charge of 0.5p per kb. Now if I have understood correctly, that makes Asda's per kb charge 0.0193 - please feel free to correct me if that is not the case.

The roaming charges on this are slightly better than Virgin within the EU for making and receiving calls, but their text charge at 42p is much higher than Virgin's 25p.

Still worth it for within the UK though, especially for gprs (provided I got that bit right)...
  • Can anyone please confirm if the ASDA sim will allow pop access to emails over gprs (on payg, I believe virgin and orange do, O2 doesn't, not sure about any others). Many thanks.
  • Can anyone confirm the minimum call charge, or if there is a lifespan on the top ups?
  • passau91 wrote: »
    I may have misundrerstood this, but has anyone else noticed that Asda are making a feature of the fact that they charge 20p per mb for gprs/data. I was comparing that to Virgin's charge of 0.5p per kb. Now if I have understood correctly, that makes Asda's per kb charge 0.0193 - please feel free to correct me if that is not the case.

It's fantastic to see affordable data on PAYG (assuming it's not crippled)
    It should be cheaper to Instant Message than text. :j(eg with bombus)

Mb = 100Kb
    1MB (Megabyte) = 8Mb (Megabits)

virgin's 0.5p/kb is 50p/Mb and 400p/MB! :eek:

(Hello MSE :) )
  • I am a Vodaphone user because, where I live it is the only network giving coverage. If I get the new Asda sim will it work in my (unlocked) Vodaphone handset & will I be able to transfer my credit?
    Thanks
    Parole
  • If the handset is unlocked it should work fine.....as far as transferring the credit I doubt very much you'll be able to do that..asda rent the airspace from vodaphone so are a seperate company nothing to do with voda
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will
  • philistine wrote: »
    It's fantastic to see affordable data on PAYG (assuming it's not crippled)
    It should be cheaper to Instant Message than text. :j(eg with bombus)

Mb = 100Kb
    1MB (Megabyte) = 8Mb (Megabits)

virgin's 0.5p/kb is 50p/Mb and 400p/MB! :eek:

(Hello MSE :) )

Sorry, but 1MB -- 1000KB therefore virgin's 0.5p/K -- £5.00/MB. Data is measured in bytes, speed is measured in bits. The prices you see are all per Megabyte and therefore don't need to be multiplied by 8(!).

Cheers
    --Bleepme
  • csj_2
    csj_2 Posts: 100 Forumite
    What is the cost of voicemail on the Asda tariff (assuming that they do offer voicemail). I don't see it listed in their rates anywhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure