Supermarket Christmas Savings Stamps Discussion

articlealert.gif
This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the
To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply

Comments

• Re the article about savings stamps, I work for Iceland and you don't have to spend the full amount on your stamp card in one go. If you have £25 on your card but only spend £15 we can't give cash change, however, we give the change back in Iceland stamps. So you don't lose any money or have to buy stuff you don't want, just use it again on your next visit! Hope to see you soon!!!
  • I shop in Morrisons and I've used these stamp cards in past years. One thing to be aware of - I've noticed in the past that the cards with the £3 bonus aren't available in December (they replace them with £50 cards with no bonus stamps). So - if you're planning to do this in December - I'd recommend picking up the collection cards now, in case they replace them again this year.
  • cport80
    cport80 Posts: 40 Forumite
    I haven't used savings stamps before as I don't like to be locked in to any particular retailer, however since OH is currently out of work through no fault of her own this may be the first year we use them.

So my question is can I buy them (most likely Asda) using a credit card?

I'm thinking if I get the 4% Cap1 card and put £144 into stamps it's effectively £6 in extra stamps plus 5.76 (144 * 0.04) when the CC pays out (presumably in about 12 months time).
  • puddings_2
    puddings_2 Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Thanks for the article Martin - very enlightening.

I'm waiting for my new Abbey credit card to arrive, the one that gives 5% cashback on all supermarket purchases until January.

I plan to buy six Asda Christmas savings cards mid November each for £144, making £864 altogether.

Does anybody know if I'll be able to buy them using the credit card or do I have to pay by cash/cheque/debitcard?

The (£36) Asda bonus and the 5% Abbey bonus (£43.20) will make a nice addition to my Christmas stocking.

Thanks Asda. Thanks Abbey. Thanks Martin !!!
  • Hi puddings & cport80,

As far as I'm aware, Asda's bonus card works in the same way as a gift card so there shouldn't be any restrictions on adding funds via a credit card.

Having said that, first check your credit card's terms & conditions don't view gift card/voucher purchases as cash withdrawals (unfortunately some have started to take this stance recently) as the interest charged would tarnish any potential savings.

:)
  • Kellm9
    Kellm9 Posts: 203 Forumite
    Hi,

I've had a search around but can't find the info.

Can I buy Asda stamps and use them any time ? or do they have a time restriction on them ? I would assume not if Puddings is spending all that. £800 + would do me 3 > 4 months. Can anyone confirm they have no date restrictions ? Thanks

Kellm9
  • Jet
    Jet Posts: 1,623
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Kellm9 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've had a search around but can't find the info.

Can I buy Asda stamps and use them any time ? or do they have a time restriction on them ? I would assume not if Puddings is spending all that. £800 + would do me 3 > 4 months. Can anyone confirm they have no date restrictions ? Thanks

Kellm9

I was wondering the same thing too. Also when is the earliest I can start spending them? The day after the bonus?
  • CLC wrote: »
    I shop in Morrisons and I've used these stamp cards in past years. One thing to be aware of - I've noticed in the past that the cards with the £3 bonus aren't available in December (they replace them with £50 cards with no bonus stamps). So - if you're planning to do this in December - I'd recommend picking up the collection cards now, in case they replace them again this year.
    To-day we paid for our Christmas shop with Morrison's stamps.We didn't use all on the saver card and received the unspent value in CASH action-smiley-033.gif [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Brian/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]
  • im confused, if i go to asda and buy £100 of these stamps and they have a 4% christmas bonus thing will they give me £40?
    what is the £36 bonus i keep seing mentioned?
    help!
  • im confused, if i go to asda and buy £100 of these stamps and they have a 4% christmas bonus thing will they give me £40?
    what is the £36 bonus i keep seing mentioned?
    help!

i wondered this too. If that's not a mistake I may have to run out and buy some:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure