Faster Payments Rejection Codes

I have on my bank statement (NatWest) a faster payment that has been returned as unpaid.
The reason is given as "REJ CODE 1164".

Does anyone know where to find a list of these rejection codes and what they mean?

Comments

• MME_2
    MME_2 Posts: 180 Forumite
    I have on my bank statement (NatWest) a faster payment that has been returned as unpaid.
    The reason is given as "REJ CODE 1164".

Does anyone know where to find a list of these rejection codes and what they mean?
    Maybe speak to Natwest and ask?
  • Hope this helps!

http://www.natwest.com/microsites/personal/faster_payments_service/faster_payments_faq.asp
    The majority of payments will normally be processed without delay. However, transactions considered unusual to the normal operation of your account will be referred for further investigation. If this occurs the payment will not be sent until the investigation has been completed. Payments with invalid sort code and account number details may also not be processed.
    Payments sent faster can either be automatically rejected by the scheme (e.g. where an account has been closed), or returned following manual review by the beneficiary's bank (who may not be able to accept the payment).
    In both cases, funds will be sent back to the customer immediately and show as a contra entry in their account.
    Depending on the type of payment and the method of return, either 'REJ' and a four digit code or 'RET' and a four or eight digit code will be displayed in the narrative of the contra entry.
    To help you locate the definition of a code please contact telephone banking or your branch.
    David :)
    £1 of debt is too much for me!
  • After consulting my branch, it transpires that I needed to include a "Reference" along with the Sort Code and Account Number.

Wouldn't life be easier if they just published these codes?
  • After consulting my branch, it transpires that I needed to include a "Reference" along with the Sort Code and Account Number.

Wouldn't life be easier if they just published these codes?

To be honest yes, would be better just to display the reason on the screen so the person knows what to do next.

Only happend to me once, the funds came straight back to me and didn't have a clue what the code was. Just sent it off again and went the next time.
    David :)
    £1 of debt is too much for me!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family