Asian Supermarket on the Ormeau Rd

mumoffour77
mumoffour77 Posts: 1,919 Forumite
edited 7 May 2009 at 10:03AM in N. Ireland
Morning All

As I live in the 'sticks' and about an hour away from belfast, I have never used the asian supermarket on the ormeau rd. Can anyone tell me what its like? Is it good value for rice and spices and maybe noodles?

The local shop prices are very expensive and as a MSE fan I am using some of my savings and starting to buy kids uniforms and bulk buy some groceries and other bits and bobs:o

I am going to belfast in the next couple of days (with 4 kids in tow) and im just wondering if its worth my while keeping space in the car!!

This is the first time I have done a bulk/get organised shop so any ideas would me much appreciated:) I have planned on doing this sort of thing and have had quite a few empty cupboards in the utility room and kitchen for a while now:)

Thanks in advance
MOF77:D
:jIm going to be frugal:j
:DIm going to be frugal:D
;)Im going to be frugal;)
Beetlejuice Beetlejuice...................:rotfl:

Comments

• Phoolgrrrl
    Phoolgrrrl Posts: 685 Forumite
    The suoermarket is good for spices and things like rice wine and oyster sauce. Also woks and steamers. Goldfish curry paste tastes just like a takeaway. The dried egg noodles are good.

Also does indian stuff, the nan is yum, and sushi seaweed etc.

Sorry I don't know prices or value of rice and haven't got any meat/fish from it.

It can be hard to find what you are looking for as it's not as organised as say tesco and the writing is sometimes only in chinese.

When we go we normally park in the residential street that's down the side of it as there is no parking close.
  • i can definatly recommend the asian supermarket.......its brill!
    however it is mega busy ALL the time and taking kids there is a real struggle (mine spend the whole time holding their noses and complaining that it smells bad in loud squeeky voices and i spend the whole time telling them to shush incase someone hears them :o!!) so if you can,perhaps one of your children are old enough to sit in the car and mind the others?? i would keep them out of it.....def no room for a buggy and everyone rushes about and knocks into you (not too amusing if you only 3!)
    I have painted that as a rather horrid picture havent i......it really is good prices ect and for bulk buying its the best....cooking oil especially my dh is a chef and says they cant be beaten on the oil price!! noodles are fab,rice,sauces,equipment (v.cheap) and they do some great kids food for lunch boxes ect ( pocky sticks,buy loads of them,kids will love them!)
    ......must make another trip :D
    it takes more energy
    to hate than to love...
    love and relax!

• mumoffour77
    Thank you Happymummy24-7 (great name btw)

May just call in some favours from family and ask them to babysit the 3 wee ones and take DS1 (14 and quite muscley) with me he can do the lifting:)

What are pocky sticks....lollies?
  • Pretani
    Pretani Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    edited 7 May 2009 at 10:53AM
    There's another one called Camseng International Foods
    1 Lower Windsor Avenue (just off the Lisburn rd)
    Belfast
    BT9 7DW

It's larger, more organised, cleaner and has toilets. They stock a larger selection of spices/dried herbs. Tinfoil is cheap.

If you're into your spice/herbs you will save quite a bit of money buying them in bulk. We use a lot of crushed black pepper in our house and a big bag of it goes a long way.

I usually visit both shops in Belfast as some brands may be out of stock in one shop. Sometimes the only dried noodles left are old (pale yellow instead of vibrant yellow), so it's good to have the other store to go to.

I've found Asian supermarket to be slightly cheaper. They sell their rice in nice sized bags as opposed to Camseng which generally sells bigger bags. But always read the sell by date on Asian supermarket's tinned food.

Also, the maysan concentrated curry sold in Camseng is a good curry, a nice alternative to the Goldfish brand. It's more of an orange curry.

Bring plenty of money and stock up. There's lot of savings to be had.
  • mumoffour77
    Right, im googleing the map for the other supermarket:D Thank you Pretani:)

I have 4 children and myself to feed, plus the odd friend and their kids oh and my sisters are regular diners here too!!

How much do you recommend I bring with me?
    I love my herbs and spices:D

Thanks for the tip on the noodles at their best looking vibrant yellow:) I never would have known!!
  • pocky are little thin sticks made out of biscuit and the bottom half is coated in chocolate (or strawberry or vanilla!) about 65p a packet for loads! they dont last long so do buy loads.you cant just ever eat 1 or 2....its a whole box or nothing (we even have to buy a box each for car ride home,lol)
    http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/category/pocky-sticks-pretz
    yum!
    it takes more energy
    to hate than to love...
    love and relax!

• Pretani
    edited 7 May 2009 at 11:11AM
    If you've got a satnav, the multi-map will get you there. If you haven't, finding lower winsor avenue is quite hard if you're not used to the Lisburn rd.

tip - You will only see the Camseng International foods sign (big red letters) on the left hand side travelling towards the city centre. Make a passenger look out for it.

you could stock up for 6 months - a year easily. If you're big into rice, curry, gravey, noodles, etc,you'll need £50 +.

If you like your noodles, buy plenty of them. I'm quite a bit from Belfast too and I always seem to run out of them early and am forced to buy the sharwood brand in Tescos. Not the same noodles.
  • mumoffour77
    happymummy24-7 thanks for the clarification:D thats brilliant i know what im looking for now!!

Pretani, Sat nav....no...I can just about work out the sky remote!!:D I love everything rice noodles spuds you name it i will eat it except snails and pork fillet:)
    Gonna sound daft now, the lisburn road....would I be better coming in from musgrave or down the malone rd past queens???? Im coming from downpatrick area!!
  • can i also recommend discovering bento boxes!!!
    we are very big into it in our house and it it is totally addictive (arkonitebabe on here is a star at it and got me very into it!!) some threads about it on the main fourm and also on flickr loads of nice pics!
    saves me a fortune feeding the kids for lunches as you just use a little bit of alot of things and fruit and veg intake has gone up 100%! the asian supermarket is the place to get all the vital ingrediants!!
    i even pack one now if im taking our youngest out as there is never anything on a menu she eats...always get people asking me about the box!:T
    it takes more energy
    to hate than to love...
    love and relax!

• Pretani
    edited 7 May 2009 at 11:27AM
    happymummy24-7 thanks for the clarification:D thats brilliant i know what im looking for now!!

Pretani, Sat nav....no...I can just about work out the sky remote!!:D I love everything rice noodles spuds you name it i will eat it except snails and pork fillet:)
    Gonna sound daft now, the lisburn road....would I be better coming in from musgrave or down the malone rd past queens???? Im coming from downpatrick area!!

I would think the m1 then turn off onto stockmans lane (to kings hall) and left onto the lisburn rd would be your best route;) but then i don't know south belfast area too well.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure