help my employer messing me around

Comments

• neil4842
    neil4842 Posts: 119 Forumite
    no i thought he would say the same as the shop steward
  • McDuck
    McDuck Posts: 114 Forumite
    Obvious question, but what do you want them to do?
  • neil4842
    I want them to sort out the other job for me as when i ask about it they fob me off as its the company against me. With the union behind me they shouldnt be able to fob me off. The other problem is i have been told that in the past they have sacked people because they cant do there job and i dont want this to happen. I have wasted 7 months in there now doing a job which is made up of all the worst jobs that the others wont do. Its like being a gofer
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    neil4842 wrote:
    The other problem is i have been told that in the past they have sacked people because they cant do there job

This may be attributed to breach of contract relating to capability issues. You may find it's likely that employees who have had employment terminated on capability grounds have either had relatively short service or they aren't members of an occupational pension scheme. I'd suggest approaching the GMB again and ask for assistance in reaching a mutually agreeable resolution to the situation.One issue with continuing as you are is that of acceptance,in fact don't be surprised if your employer argues that as you've been carrying out your current role for so long that you can reasonably be seen as excepting their adjustments.You need to have a plan of action and present a statement of case to support what you expect management to reach agreement on.If you sit back and do nothing management are unlikely progress with further adjustments.
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Yes You Need To Approach Gmb Direct ,you Seem To Have An Idle Or Incompetant Steward There For He Is Not Worth Wasting Your Time With You Must Not Just Sit Back Or You Will Find Yourself Worked Out Of The Company Via The Side Door Get Something Sorted And Say Leaving It As It Is ,is In Itself Causing You Stress
  • jobbingmusician
    jobbingmusician Posts: 20,343 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Intrepid Forum Explorer
    I have a sneaking feeling that your employer may be worried because you have the option of taking them to court and claiming that your carpal tunnel problems/radial problems are caused by your job. Do you have any legal cover with your union? This is likely to be totally separate from your usual union adviser. I suggest you ring the union and ask them this, and (if so) then ring your legal adviser and ask if you have a claim against your employer for developing the condition in the first place!

(I am not usually this militant, but know there are lots of cases of people developing neurological damage and white finger from using vibrating machinery. If you pursue a claim you could be helping others, and if your union will back you it may be at no risk to you!)
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • neil4842
    cheers for the replys i have got the legal cover but im waiting to get my job sorted before i try and claim and i think that i will go over my stewards head and get someone to help me with my employment side of the problem.
  • neil4842
    Been talking to my manager today and he has said that he will try and find out whats going on and i said to him whats the options and he said either the other job they where offering or being made redundant
  • ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    neil4842 wrote:
    i said to him whats the options and he said either the other job they where offering or being made redundant

There may be other options such as ill health retirement,retraining,progressing with making adjustments to your current role etc etc. Redundancy may not be a wise move from your employers perspective as it's the job which is redundant not the post holder.Do they intend to offer you redundancy then place another employee into the role?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • neil4842
    there is already another employee in my role who was taken on whilst i was doing my lighter job
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure