PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Making window quilts

Comments

• domari
    domari Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi Annie, These sound brilliant!
    I've looked through all the links above and I'm having difficulty understanding them. :(
    I'm pretty sure I would need a vapour barrier as I do get a lot of condensation anyway.
    Could you please just tell me;
    1. how many layers of fabric do I need?
    2. What type of fabric/plastic must each layer consist of? Starting with the layer nearest the glass please.
    Thank you lots
    :j
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • domari
    Hi, me again, could someone please tell me how to thank someone for a post?
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • domari
    Me again! sorry this is my first attempt at using the boards. Could someone please tell me what is mylar?
    They call me Mr Pig!
  • u751904
    u751904 Posts: 361 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    did you buy some of that technical material lining that they were talking about? I did see that reflective material that they sell in b&q and wondered about sewing it in as a interlining.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    domari wrote: »
    Hi, me again, could someone please tell me how to thank someone for a post?

There is a little 'button' saying thanks under the post you want to thank. Just click on it and it will thank the person. :)
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I have a pair of very heavily insulated curtains with reflective interlining, presumably that's the same sort of effect?

As regards the heat escape issue at the top, bottom and sides of curatains that's where I struggle ....I prefer curtain poles to heavy pelmets, but....I have shutters at some of the windows, and presumably they do tis 'seal' so that heavily interlined curtains with the reflective interlining can perform at their best in this same way?
  • grump wrote: »
    Sounds good but I am not sure how I can fix them. I have an angled bay window so would have to make 3 quilts. There is no space above the pvc double glazed window to put a batten and I dont want to drill into the UPVC itself. Can anyone help?
    The "ceiling" over the bay window is just plaster board. I have thought about a sort of roller blind set up but am not sure if the quilt would prove too thick for this to work.

For fixing into plaster board many folks think they can use ordinary screws, no, go to any normal DIY and look/ ask for plaster board fixings, they come in plastic and also a sort of soft metal, they have a very coarse thread which you first screw into the plaster board, then you screw 'normally' into the fixing. Some come with their own screw, others you use a conventional screw. Most of these special fixings tell you you don't need to create a pilot hole, just center them and screw in. Personally I always use a small pilot hole, it helps to centre the fixing more accurately, also until you get used to installing the special fixing there can be a tendency for the paper surface of the plaster board to rise up slightly. I've used these fixings loads of time. Hint, always make sure that the weight of whatever you are hanging has sufficient fixings. Hope this helps.
  • @OP: Do you think that this would be a suitable material to sew inbetween some material. Perhaps even make pockets that this could be slid into so it can be removed for washing etc?

TRISO SUPER 10 FOIL INSULATION

Won't let me post link but search google / Youtube for above
  • grump wrote: »
    Sounds good but I am not sure how I can fix them. I have an angled bay window so would have to make 3 quilts. There is no space above the pvc double glazed window to put a batten and I dont want to drill into the UPVC itself. Can anyone help?
    The "ceiling" over the bay window is just plaster board. I have thought about a sort of roller blind set up but am not sure if the quilt would prove too thick for this to work.
    How about using self adhesive velcro. Stick one side to the PVC and sew the other to the 'quilt'. That would allow you to remove the quilts easily and if you want to permanently remove them, the adhesive velcro will peel off and any remaining adhesive cleaned up with meths or white spirit.
    Hope that helps.
    Bye for now,
    Paul

What colour is YOUR parachute?
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    jamesmcuk wrote: »
    @OP: Do you think that this would be a suitable material to sew inbetween some material. Perhaps even make pockets that this could be slid into so it can be removed for washing etc?

TRISO SUPER 10 FOIL INSULATION

Won't let me post link but search google / Youtube for above

I don't know how flexible it is but if you were going to leave the blinds down all day, or if you made solid panels then I think it would be great insulation for windows.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure