Moorcroft accessed my ISA and took payment without permission.

2»

Comments

• tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I would be speaking to the bank, its they who have allowed Moorcroft access to your account.

I may be wrong here but dont think you can set up payments from an ISA.
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • dalesrider
    dalesrider Posts: 3,447 Forumite
    Sounds more to me like RBOS. have taken the funds. As they have access to ALL account details and will have in the T/C the right to take funds from other accounts to offset money owed.
    Never ASSUME anything its makes a
    >>> A55 of U & ME <<<
  • dougens
    dougens Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Thanks for reply.
    That's what I thought but if Moorcroft has bought the debt how is that possible?
    can a debt company buy a share of the debt or does it have to be the whole debt?

When we asked the bank who took the money they said it was Moorcroft, surely legally they have to tell you if it was them?

Thanks
  • Treadmill
    Treadmill Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    Is the credit card company that the original debt is with connected to RBOS ?
  • dougens
    dougens Posts: 51 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes, the credit card was with RBOS.
    However, as far as I'm aware the debt was bought by Moorcroft.
    We need to asertain whether the whole debt was bought or just a proportion.
    The payment, when asked the bank to whom it was paid, was to Moorcroft, or so they say.........
  • RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    RBOS will have the right to off-set any money in any account GF holds with them. This will be in the terms and conditions of the credit card account.

If Moorcroft have been acting as their agent (on RBOS's behalf) rather than as the purchasers of the account, then this will probably be legal.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • Lensman_2
    Lensman_2 Posts: 1,506 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    RAS wrote: »
    RBOS will have the right to off-set any money in any account GF holds with them. This will be in the terms and conditions of the credit card account.

If Moorcroft have been acting as their agent (on RBOS's behalf) rather than as the purchasers of the account, then this will probably be legal.
    The owner of the account will be the one reporting on her credit file. She should check her file to find out of Moorcroft are the owners or not.

Noddle is free and paper versions cost a statutory fee of £2 from each of the three agencies.
  • If moorcroft are collecting on RBS behalf, they can always pass it back to RBS to deal with and in that case RBS can take the funds from the ISA to pay the cc arrears.
    If it was standard current account and the money was benefits money etc JSA HB etc, if she can prove this I think they have to give it back.
    But if not it is a right the bank has without having to put it in the T&Cs of the accounts.
    If it was not RBS who did it, I cannot see how a separate company would ever be able to obtain her bank details or even know she had an ISA and with what bank, also wouldn't it have to be her who authorises the transation. People can't just request payments to them from someone elses account.
    It does sound more like RBS using right to offset.
    June 10/10 NSD
    Owe [STRIKE]£571[/STRIKE] £0 :) lloyds credit card [STRIKE]£1500[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£1030[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£400[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£170[/STRIKE] £0 :) overdraft
    [STRIKE]£6400[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£6049[/STRIKE] £5949 Barclays Loan.
    [STRIKE]£2290[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]£1760 [/STRIKE] £1560 Car.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure