[CLOSED] Currys 10% Off Everything - Easter Sunday Only

Options
2»

Comments

• waynef_2
    waynef_2 Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Is is better to have a dedicated LCD TV that doesn't function as a monitor?

I have noticed that the dedicated LCD TVs tend to be more expensive than those which also function as a monitor, which seems strange, and leads me to believe that the TV/monitors might be a case of a "jack of all trades, master of none" - or is this just me being cynical?!?
  • nickp8
    nickp8 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    No there isnt an advantage. Infact most small size just LCD TV without pc input have poorer resolutions / response times / contrast ratios etc. Although the resolution wont make a large amount of difference if your only going to use it as a TV the other specifications will.

Both are fine tuned for video display, its just one can be used as a pc monitor too.
  • gromituk
    gromituk Posts: 3,087 Forumite
    Options
    LCD monitors are a global market, whereas LCD televisions have to be tailored for individual continents/countries so are likely to be more expensive for that reason. A tuner is extra circuitry and hence expense, too, as is a remote control and teletext decoder.

A fundamental disadvantage with LCD displays is that they use progressive scan, so television signals have to be de-interlaced and the circuitry to do this is ropey (because doing it properly is expensive). The same problem occurs with plasma panels.
    Time is an illusion - lunch time doubly so.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure