how much does tesco pay its staff?

Making a little extra money just isnt enough for me.I have a little business which is treading water at the moment basically,I was spend neutral(well 90%) for xmas via cashback etc and its not making a big enough difference so I need to get a real job too:o .I would love to work in tesco as I do my grocery shop there and I would eventually get a % off my shopping.
Does anyone know how much tesco customer assistants get paid and if they pay a bonus for working nights like asda do?
"Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".

Comments

• Jo_F
    Jo_F Posts: 1,780 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It depends on the type of store, if it's a Tesco Express (the little ones) then they are on less money than the main stores. I am not sure of the figures, but my mil works for them, and she doesn't want to transfer to an Express cos it mean less money, they also apparently do a 5 out of 7 contract, so you can't opt out of weekend. Also she mentioned last week that they are changing the way they do bank holidays, and that bank holidays will become part of a normal week, classed as a normal working day and so no extra pay for them.

I think the wage is roughly the same as Asda.
  • hey
    i work for tesco and am on £5.80 an hour but when i turn 18 it goes up to nearly £8 an hour. you get time and half if you work past 10 in the evenings.
    many people at the store were i work only do monday - friday so it is possible to opt out of workin weekends.
    you have to wait until you have worked there 6 months before u get a privilege card which gives u 10% off your shoppin
    hope this helps
    x
  • Night pay for a customer assistant is around £7.50 an hour a starting rate, Most staff are on a fixed hours contract but it is unlikely to be get saturday's off.

Bank holidays are still optional but there is no benefit to not working bank holiday as you recieve time and a half plus time back in lieu

Staff discount has recently been introduced to after 6 months not 12 and is 10%
  • i work for tesco and am on £5.80 an hour but when i turn 18 it goes up to nearly £8 an hour. you get time and half if you work past 10 in the evenings.
    Your figures maybe a little wrong im afraid night premium is around £1.50 between 2200 and 0000 and £2 between 0000 and 0600

A fully established night worker who works sat and sun (extra premiums for hours that land on a sunday) gets an average of £8.50 an hour
    many people at the store were i work only do monday - friday so it is possible to opt out of workin weekends.

were not likely to take on any non weekend workers in the current financial climate

ps im a tesco night manager
  • dodo_man Your figures maybe a little wrong im afraid

i was only telling u what happens in the store where i work and as previously been pointed out it varies between stores.
  • Thats much better than I though.My neighbour works as a tesco customer services assistant so if I have a word with her she may be able to tell me if theres anything suitable at my local stores. Wish I had done this a long time ago.
    "Reaching out to touch the stars dont forget the flowers at your feet".
  • yes pay and terms and conditions can be very slightly different depending on the store format, express and metro being the most likely to pay less and require non fixed hours, superstores and extras all pay almost the same there is a location pay for some areas like inside the m25. there may be a few other reasons for certain stores to pay extra location pay but night premiums are fixed

Best of luck with trying for a job, recruitment is slow in retail at the moment so be patient, its also 6 weeks until the end of the Tesco financial year and this is a quiet trading period so recruitment will be on the back burner until the new year to deliver then end of year financial's, well at least bring it closer to budget!
  • Timmne
    Timmne Posts: 2,555 Forumite
    dodo_man Your figures maybe a little wrong im afraid

i was only telling u what happens in the store where i work and as previously been pointed out it varies between stores.

dodo_man's right - please don't confuse the issue with your hearsay figures. You obviously know your rate of pay but as to other rates and conditions of recruitment, you will not be aware and management will not likely tell you either.

It's nigh on impossible to get a job in a superstore/extra with just weekdays if you're part time. Expresses are easier to get non-weekend work as the staff levels per shift are lower and there's not massive differences between a weekday and weekend in terms of trade (although there is some).

OP - rates of pay are similar across supermarkets and if you're looking for a part time job, I'd recommend just trying any you'd be willing to work in as the packages don't differ much.
  • debrag
    debrag Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    there's never any jobs near me :( I can work evenings & weekends but can't find work
  • geordie_joe
    geordie_joe Posts: 9,112 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    hayleyco wrote: »
    dodo_man you are mistaken, pay is £5.52 per hour, i know this for a fact. Fact

The minimum wage is £5.73 per hour!

Are you saying Tesco are breaking the law by paying less than the minimum wage?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure