Cheapest Home Phones Article Discussion

Comments

• billsavings
    billsavings Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    terry2 wrote: »
    I was interested in signing up with tiscali for their cheap deal, but when I tried to do it, at the very end of the process, they said that as they did not have LLU on my exchange they were going to have to charge for line rental at another £7:50 per month (so I went elsewhwere).

Now, it turns out they only have LLU on 898 exchanges (out of the total of 5592 exchanges). So people really need to check first.

Good point. List of exchanges enabled here: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/llu-operator/tiscali

Its also worth mentioning that Tiscali have so far not been interested in new customers from scratch. They only take on people with existing BT lines.

Then theirs the matter of their 0871 Customer Service Numbers which are not inclusive to call from your Tiscali Phone.
  • MSE_Archna wrote: »
    articlealert.gif

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
    [I have been with TalkTalk for about 9 months and have had a lousy broadband signal/speed for the most part. I live only 1.7K from the exchange and yet have been getting less than 0.5mb at it's worst for the past 5 months! I am now seriously looking for another provider. Rarely use the phone except in the evenings, any suggestions?]
  • sweeney
    sweeney Posts: 18 Forumite
    terry2 wrote: »
    I was interested in signing up with tiscali for their cheap deal, but when I tried to do it, at the very end of the process, they said that as they did not have LLU on my exchange they were going to have to charge for line rental at another £7:50 per month (so I went elsewhwere).

Now, it turns out they only have LLU on 898 exchanges (out of the total of 5592 exchanges). So people really need to check first.

Same experience down here in Exmouth in Devon, offered deal on line rental of 25% discount as advertised deal unavailable at my exchange. Hardly worth the hassle of being re-united with Tiscali though, as they have swallowed up Pipex, I expect I'll have to move somewhere soon!
  • We have been with talktalk since they first started there were a few teething problems at the beginning, but that was because they couldn't cope the high demand once they sorted it they were fine. I presume the 18185 is a prefix for getting cheap or free calls abroad, talktalk, have their own which is 18418, I ring my brother in USA on both his landline and cell phone for free. I also get all calls free, this is because we are on talktalk international3. It is well worth the money.
    akyman wrote: »
    I'm wondering if anyone knows if you can use 18185 with line rental from Talk Talk? I'm an avid user of 18185- it has saved me a small fortune but the Talk Talk offer seems good. I wouldn't touch Tiscali with a barge pole after my mother had untold hassle after some intermidiary signed her up fraudulently online.
  • Hi

Does anyone know if there is a way of using the Override provider's network without having to dial their 181185 number before each call? Reason I ask is that I seem to recall some way you could set up an account with the provider, and then your calls would automatically route through them. (may have involved some device)

Would be pretty useful for elderly phone users or just the forgetful ones , like me!
  • Read the article. Just contacted Tiscali, and they're only willing to offer me Option 2 @ £14.99 for 3 months then £19.99 thereafter PROVIDED I pay 75% line rental charges in addition.
    Is this typical of Tiscali, or am I just out on a limb? Incidently it took 25 minutes waiting to have my call answered. Good service?
  • A chap from Talk Talk came to my house a few days ago and made me an offer that I had difficultly in refusing.
    I currently pay 31.50 to Pipex Homecall for free national/local calls 24/7 + 8MB unlimited Broadband.
    He offered me free national/local calls 24/7 + 8MB (40MB max downloads) Broadband for £14.99 for first 3 months and then £15.99 thereafter.
    He told me I have 2 weeks cooling off period and can recommend any neighbours who can get the same deal.
    Initially, I get the phone deal and as a bonus they will give me the internet free but I have to pay £30 for internet setup fee.:D
  • twhitehead
    twhitehead Posts: 128
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    :mad: Little word of warning. I was on Tiscali broadband a while ago, then they 'unbundelled' the local exchange. I was without broadband for 2 months and a BT line for about 2 weeks. Tiscali blamed BT, BT blamed Tiscali. When I got my telephone line back I discontinued Tiscali. If they were offering 100 Mb speed for nothing I would not be tempted. All I could get out of them is that they did 1000 lines in the local exchange and had a 99.8% success rate. I never did find out who else in our region had the same trouble.
  • Raydor
    Raydor Posts: 4 Newbie
    rydalong wrote: »
    Am with DST and succesfully use both 18185 and 1899. However, DST now seem a bit costly at around £26.00 a month for broadband, line rental and "free" anytime UK calls up to 60 minutes.

Anybody know of another provider, please, who is able to offer a similar service at a better price - NOT Tiscali, as they were a disaster! Thanks

Don't know why NOT Tiscali, I'v been with them over 12 months, not a problem ever, BB speeds of over 6MB. with line rental, broadband, all calls to 01/02 numbers anytime 24/7 and free international calls to 10 top countries, I would'nt move unless they paid me.
    Remember, you only ever hear of the bad reports, guess I'm one of the lucky ones. And all this for £19.99pm
  • Bufflowbill
    Bufflowbill Posts: 381 Forumite
    Hi

Does anyone know if there is a way of using the Override provider's network without having to dial their 181185 number before each call? Reason I ask is that I seem to recall some way you could set up an account with the provider, and then your calls would automatically route through them. (may have involved some device)

Would be pretty useful for elderly phone users or just the forgetful ones , like me!

The Orchid Dialler. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=518161 will route your calls for you.

Or you can keep your line with BT and cps your calls via your preferred call supplier.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback