eBay Buying Tricks discussion

Comments

• keyser666
    keyser666 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Hi,
    Beware of buying Gillette Mach 3 and Mach 3 Turbo and Fusion blades. Even though I am an experienced seller and buyer (6,300+ feedback) I got caught with fake goods. There are websites available which describe the differences. Try googling "fakeblades".
    The recent guide to ebay was very good for buyers. If you are mainly thinking of selling it can be a minefield.
    If you are just starting stick to selling to the country you are living in for a few months. Then ease into Europe, then USA and Canada,Australia and New Zealand. Do not send to Italy except by a "signed for" delivery service. I found out the hard way when I lost 50% of my parcels going to this country. Brazil can also be bad. Check,check and check again that the address is correct and spelled correctly. Google can be helpful here. Inform your buyer that their purchase is coming from another country, they often don't realise, especially Americans for some reason.....
    If you need to send a message to another country in another language keep it simple and grammatically correct. Then use a translation site to translate to the local language. Send both the original and the translation.
    Check with PayPal that the payment has cleared before sending goods to the PayPal registered address only.
    Postal charges have been changed recently. Check the dimensions and weight before quoting shipping charges. Thickness can be an issue on domestic UK post!!
    Many of the items I sell are relatively inexpensive and I have found out the hard way by "losing " them in the post that not all people are honest. I send expensive items by Recorded Delivery or another "signed for" service. I send random cheaper items by Recorded Delivery without telling the buyer. This has saved me from being possibly defrauded once. It has also made me realise that the Postie does not always leave a red card when you're not there to sign for it.
    When buying from overseas you don't always get caught for the VAT or Customs charges. I receive many items without having to pay.
    Great advice
  • keyser666
    keyser666 Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    sarahemmm wrote: »
    I have been a happy user of www.gixen.com for about three years now. Free, or $6 if you want to use the mirror option. I'm happy to pay to support it, as the developer seems very good and responsive :T

Sarah
    Never had a problem and never lost a ebay auction with this
  • One thing you didn't mention was looking to see if the seller has other goods offered for auction. I have found on a number of occasions when looking for specific ITEMS (eg: military autobiographies and electric train set accessories) that they do have similar items for auction. Sometimes these get no bids, in which case you can make an offer, or, if you bid for them and are successful, you can get them combined and pay only one lot of postage.
    Conversely, if you are selling items, then I have found that it is advantageous to put in the DESCRIPTION that you have these and invite bidder to look for them.
    I found it works for me
  • martindow
    martindow Posts: 10,198
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Many of the items I sell are relatively inexpensive and I have found out the hard way by "losing " them in the post that not all people are honest. I send expensive items by Recorded Delivery or another "signed for" service. I send random cheaper items by Recorded Delivery without telling the buyer. This has saved me from being possibly defrauded once. It has also made me realise that the Postie does not always leave a red card when you're not there to sign for it.
    If the items are over £46 you should be using Special Delivery - RD is no good for these. Under £46 RD adds another 95p to the postage. It often does not get a signature and you are covered for the value of the item in exactly the same way with a free Certificate of Posting to claim from Royal Mail. For every 100 items you send RD you are paying £95. Most of us would rather keep the cash!
  • My top tip is always going via the nectar eshops site, so you get free points for stuff you were buying anyway...

:beer:
  • If an item you were watching never sold but it was over your budget then don't be afraid to message the seller if they never relisted the item. Hopefully the seller will be happy to come to another arrangement with you but don't be disheartened if you get no reply at all.
    Also few sellers sell items in small job lots. Ask the seller if they would be prepared to sell you only the items you like but at a reduced cost if their auction is unsuccessful.
    Good Tip to remember is flattery. Highlight how nice the items are maybe even tell the buyer that you are sure the items will sell no problem but just in the off chance you will be there to help them off load wink wink
  • Set up your own local search like this

Copy and paste this into the search box

( ("cash on collection", "buyer must collect", "collection only", "no postage", "pick up only", "unable to post", "needs to be collected", "Collection in Person only", "can't post") )

Then set the following

Search in title and description - important.
    Distance less than 10 miles from your postcode - otherwise its wont be local.
    Under £175 (stops cars showing up).
    UK Only.
    Private seller only.
    collect in person.

Then save this search or as eBay follow it, DON'T opt for email notifications.

If you want to narrow your search down even further type in what you are looking for BEFORE the first brackets in the search box leaving a space - nokia (("cash on collection",..........

If you get lots of things showing up you don't want then add it at the end with a minus sign after a space you can add as many of these as you wish separated by a space like this

....."can't post") ) -landrover -SWAROVSKI

Frank.
  • jeffuk
    jeffuk Posts: 603
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    gobuddygo wrote: »
    Set up your own local search like this

Copy and paste this into the search box

( ("cash on collection", "buyer must collect", "collection only", "no postage", "pick up only", "unable to post", "needs to be collected", "Collection in Person only", "can't post") )

Then set the following

Search in title and description - important.
    Distance less than 10 miles from your postcode - otherwise its wont be local.
    Under £175 (stops cars showing up).
    UK Only.
    Private seller only.
    collect in person.

Then save this search or as eBay follow it, DON'T opt for email notifications.

If you want to narrow your search down even further type in what you are looking for BEFORE the first brackets in the search box leaving a space - nokia (("cash on collection",..........

If you get lots of things showing up you don't want then add it at the end with a minus sign after a space you can add as many of these as you wish separated by a space like this

....."can't post") ) -landrover -SWAROVSKI

Frank.

Great info Frank. Great first post. Welcome to MSE.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure