How much can you save?

Comments

• tinkerbel
    tinkerbel Posts: 1,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    got to agree with this! we collect all of our change (coppers 5ps and larger when you end up with a fist full of change! the interest youre missing out on is minimal and it means I dont nip to the vending machine etc at work and waste it!)
    We spent it frivously (we had about the same amount about £117 that we could actually bank in those bags)! and put it towards a treat we wanted for ages! probably would have been better to bank it but hey! you have to treat yourself and we bought something which will last so thats good :) it is amazing how it adds up though!
  • Newbie here, some info about me.
    I'm 19 and take home roughly about 1600 a month.
    My outgoings

Rent -120
    Phone bill - 65
    Car insurance -165

Which leaves me with 1250 a month. My fuel ranges from 200-300, and spending money the same I suppose.

I have 2 savings accounts, a isa and a regular saver both from nationwide. My plan is to max the regular saver out every month with the 250 and what ever is left over into the isa.

Currently isa has 3000 and regular saver 400.
    My aim is to have 6000 in savings at the end of this tear, and try to be as close to 20000 by the time I'm 21. Big big big ask, but if I can keep my debit card spending down, I may well do it, bring on the challenge!
    House deposit £2800/£10000
    :j£7200 in 24 months = £300 a month:j
  • I have a tin at home (one that you can't open) and whenever I get £2 coins I put them in it - well most of the time anyway! I've even got my boyfriend doing it as well. Not sure how much is in there but it's getting quite heavy now! It is the start of my "Rio Fund". I really want to go on holiday to Rio de Janeiro but it is looking like it will be very expensive!
    Kitchen Debt - 2820/260
    Save £12k in 2013 #060: 1293.24/3000
    MFW: 88760.00/85000.00 (4.24% paid)
  • New money saver here!
    I start my first full-time job Monday after recently coming back from travelling around Thailand - first full-time job since post-graduating in December!

The job is only a Summer placement paying £1,000 a month, but since I will still be living at home for the duration of the programme I am planning to save about £600 from it (£1,000 pay a month). The £400 will take account of tax and helping my parents with bills etc. Don't know what day payday is though, so I expect my first pay slip to be minimal.
    I fortunately still have my the part-time job I worked at before travelling. Ideally, I am hoping for this to roughly bring in £200 a month, which will all go towards my savings. Next pay day is Monday 2nd!

Not saving for anything in particular until I have a full-time permanent job. By September/ October I hope to save around £2,400, dependent on three paydays each consisting of four-weeks' pay.

Let my money-saving journey begin!

Been a while since my last update.
    I am still with the job I started back in June and getting £300-£400 more a month than expected (although for how much longer looks unlikely as work is running out). To date, I have saved £4,800. This would be £5,800, but I have decided to do a once in a lifetime event and participate in an event called the Marathon Des Sables in 2014 for my 25th! It is going to cost £4,000 (:eek:) altogether, but I figured some things you just can't put money on. Oh well, next payday is Thursday and I cannot wait!
  • Going good guns there Pocketsaver. How do you get to a £4,000 total? Seems double what i thought you were away to say....Is that including loss of earnings?
    :eek:Living frugally at 24 :beer:
    Increase net worth £30k in 2016 : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69797771#post69797771
  • DireEmblem
    DireEmblem Posts: 930 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 16 September 2012 at 8:34PM
    I've just done what I consider to be a slightly odd thing.

I do have some savings, and I save a set amount each month, but I have started to review my spending a bit more, and over the past year the volume of cash I have spent, although sometimes hard to track, as I've merely taken cash out a hole in the wall, when I break it down, I think I could save so much more without having to change my lifestyle too much.

For example, I looked up on listentotaxman.com what I earn, and what I would earn each month IF on minimum wage. Now the odd thing is, I worked out even with my current rent etc, I could still actually 'live' on minimum wage, and still manage to go out to the pub a couple of nights, albeit I would need to be more stringent to what I chose to drink, or where.

Also, looking at all I spend my dosh on, most bear no long term benefit once the year has gone - do you really remember the pizza you had on the way home from a night out - probably not, so why not just have something to eat at home?

This is just my 2p, bit of a rant, but going forth I will be saving more!

Oh, and in the tradition of this thread, I currently save around 10% of my salary.
  • Dire that sounds alot like my attitude is getting to, wasting money on take aways etc when i could be reinvesting that money to give myself greater income. Good points well made.
    :eek:Living frugally at 24 :beer:
    Increase net worth £30k in 2016 : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69797771#post69797771
  • I do the same Dire. I pretend to myself that I earn minimum wage and live to those means. I save 35% of my take home pay.
    Saving for a Deposit of a Deposit £5,000/£10,000
    'Life stuff' that needs paying for before I can start saving again £750/3100 :(
  • Hi there

Im new to the forum and wanted some help.

From next month i will be saving £1500 per month and wanted to know whats best to do with it.

At present all that i have in terms of savings is my ISA for 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 which are both full.

im 30 years old and have just paid off all my debts from my student days and want to make the £1500 per month work for me.

my long term goal is to build up enough capital to buy a buy to let property but this will take 2 to 3 years so thats the period im looking to hold this money in savings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

Jasper
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    You could save £300/mth into a First Direct Regular Saver (8%) and £250/month into a Nationwide one (6%). More about Regular Savers here

Perhaps use the proceeds from the Reg Savers into a new ISA at some stage.
    There isn't much with really good interest rates for your remaining £950, but you could read the savings article on the main site, and check the forum for
    1. Other Regular Savers (paying a lot let interest than the above)
    2. Halifax current account: £5/mth net after basic rate tax
    3. Santander 123 current account - - might be able to make money from interest and cashback
    4. Lloyds Vantage 4% offer (temporary)
    5. other 'normal' savings accounts
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport