can you resurrect a limited company?

2»

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    New company formations ARE exactly that - newly formed companies. Just two examples of the cheapest:-

£16.99 http://www.companyformations247.co.uk/reg_user_bronze.html

£17.00 http://www.formationsdirect.com/companieshouselimitedcompanyformationchoices.aspx#.TzPZq-UcaCk

Both the above are for entirely NEWLY formed same day companies - NOT off the shelf, NOT resurrected.

I've been an accountant for 30 years and have been forming companies for my clients using the above firms for the last few years and can categorically confirm they are brand new, never used nor registered before, etc etc.

I think people are harping back to the old days when it took more time and required statutory swearing infront of a notary to form a company - all that ended years ago with electronic registration.

The 3.5 million figure I quoted is from Co House website of the number of NEWLY FORMED companies.

And YES, you can resurrect a dissolved company - it may have been dead, but you can bring it back to life. It's not just using the same name on a new company, it really is restoring the dissolved company back into life, warts & all.

There seems to be a lot of misinformation and half-truths in this thread.
  • chrismac1
    chrismac1 Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Agree with everything Pennywise says. I too have been forming companies for many years, including in other countries. The whole point of forming a limited company is that it is unique - a unique number, unique name hence the convoluted names you'll see on Companies House.

Where "spadoosh" is probably getting mixed up is where you have a PLC which is not active that is a "shell" company. Suppose some really big guns get together, it can be cheaper for them to take over the shell than start a PLC from scratch. WPP plc is the second largest advertising agency in the world and was formed from taking over the "shell" Wire Plastics and Products, a company which had nothing to do with making adverts.

In your case, get the compeny number or name and look it up on Companies House web check. If it says "dormant" then you are free to run your business through it, though you might want to do some share transfers if the shareholdings are not what you want. If it says "dissolved" or anything else like that, forget that company and form a new one.
    Hideous Muddles from Right Charlies
  • Pennywise wrote: »
    New company formations ARE exactly that - newly formed companies. Just two examples of the cheapest:-

Do you mind me picking your brains.

I currently have one limited company (10 years old with existing VAT number) and just about to set up another company which will carry out a fairly distinct bit of business.

Once I have done so, can I use VAT 50 to apply for Group VAT registration ?

The reason is that in short term one company will be paying VAT and the other will be in a reclaim position (although the net of the 2 companies will be a payment to HMCE)

What are the potential pitfalls ?

Thanks
    US housing: it's not a bubble - Moneyweek Dec 12, 2005
  • heathcote123
    heathcote123 Posts: 1,133 Forumite
    Deals wrote: »
    what is involved etc? my other half should have gone ltd and i am lookign at whether i take it over but i might want it resurrect as ltd as it once was. thanks in advance for any tips.

Here is the answer.

http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk/about/gbhtml/gp4.shtml#ch4
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family